Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android RPG Maker MV Guide

Dion

Villager
Xy$
okay boss.

haha.... really appreciate your kind answer... will try finding the solution myself....

but this is the BEST and EASIEST way to convert RPG Maker MV to android APK i've known till now...
best regards
(thumbsup)(thumbsup)
(joyful)
Sorry bad english
[doublepost=1499525523,1499524282][/doublepost]
All "sound won't play" issues are related to your specific device; I honestly can't do anything to fix the problem without spending tens of thousands of dollars of my time to develop real-time audio conversion technology.

You need to try different audio formats until you find one that works. Try the Crosswalk versus WebView see if that solves the problem.

Here's a list of Android supported media formats; https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/media-formats.html

For .m4a specifically, Android will only support them with the AAC LC codec and the HE-AACv1 codec for Android 4.1 and above. My guess is that the RPG Maker default audio files are in the former format and the custom audio files you're attempting to use are in the latter format, as well as your device being below Android 4.1.

This is why it's very specific for your device. To make matters worse, some device architectures will play some formats, whilst others won't. I know from experience that Samsung devices tend to play audio formats that it shouldn't (depending on if they're in the mood or not, it's incredibly buggy).
HEY I GOT IT MAN LIKE YOU SAID ABOVE, i convert it to m4a but must be with HE-AACv1 Codec..... and it WORKS on my android phone.... u are angel... hahaha

doranikofu

Villager
Xy$
this is awesome! thanks a lot for the template project.
I tried it once before and had no clue how to start from scratch.
Now it is much easier to pack apk :)))
Also webview seems smoother than crosswalk on my asus zenpad3s 10 tablet

also for anyone who would like to use non-english char for app name,
just use unicode in the field and it works :)
there are online converters to convert like chinese chars to unicode

sanicrx

Villager
Xy$
This tutorial is great! I've been using it ever since RPGMV's original deployment method stopped working for me.

I'm having one big issue though-the graphics for games I'm converting are coming out slightly messed up. Some objects, like trees, have odd lines running up next to them, while others are blurred and fuzzy. I can post a screenshot if needed. I'm using a Galaxy S6.

I tried deploying a test project (with no plugins or anything) and got the same result. Webview and Crosswalk have the same result. I modified the resolution multiple times as well to no avail. I downloaded the RPGMV Benchmark off of the app store (which used the old XDK deployment method if I remember right) and it looks fine--so my only assumption is it's something to do with your deployment package.

Do you know what would cause this? I'll be researching in the meantime since I've been meaning to learn Android anyway. Thanks.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
I'm having one big issue though-the graphics for games I'm converting are coming out slightly messed up. Some objects, like trees, have odd lines running up next to them, while others are blurred and fuzzy. I can post a screenshot if needed. I'm using a Galaxy S6.

I tried deploying a test project (with no plugins or anything) and got the same result. Webview and Crosswalk have the same result. I modified the resolution multiple times as well to no avail. I downloaded the RPGMV Benchmark off of the app store (which used the old XDK deployment method if I remember right) and it looks fine--so my only assumption is it's something to do with your deployment package.

Do you know what would cause this? I'll be researching in the meantime since I've been meaning to learn Android anyway. Thanks.
Interesting. This sounds like a GPU bug I've encountered before with Samsung devices a few years back.

My "deployment package" is just code for an Android project, nothing special. It simply opens your game in a webpage, so any bugs with that are bugs related to your actual device. I'm not sure what I can do, it's very interesting that the RPGMV Benchmark app from Google Play doesn't have your bug. If that uses the XDK, then it suggests there's a setting that can be modified to fix the bug. I imagine texture filtering is the culprit, this sounds like a mip-mapping and texture wrap issue (a bug I'm very familiar with from other game engines I've worked with).

Please try an MV web-browser project from your phone's web browser (try a couple of browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Samsung's) and see if the graphical issue happens on any of these browsers.

sanicrx

Villager
Xy$
Interesting. This sounds like a GPU bug I've encountered before with Samsung devices a few years back.

My "deployment package" is just code for an Android project, nothing special. It simply opens your game in a webpage, so any bugs with that are bugs related to your actual device. I'm not sure what I can do, it's very interesting that the RPGMV Benchmark app from Google Play doesn't have your bug. If that uses the XDK, then it suggests there's a setting that can be modified to fix the bug. I imagine texture filtering is the culprit, this sounds like a mip-mapping and texture wrap issue (a bug I'm very familiar with from other game engines I've worked with).

Please try an MV web-browser project from your phone's web browser (try a couple of browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Samsung's) and see if the graphical issue happens on any of these browsers.
Interesting note - I just tried testing my game on my Alcatel Pixi Threatre (phone with very low specs, game is unplayable but still runs) and lo and behold - the graphics look fine. Once I get my game handed out to a few friends for beta testing I'll report back.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what would be the easiest way to get an MV web-browser project running on mobile? All my attention's been focused on the mobile/android aspect.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
I'm embarrassed to ask, but what would be the easiest way to get an MV web-browser project running on mobile? All my attention's been focused on the mobile/android aspect.
You're best off making a new support thread asking this question as it's not related to this Android tutorial and I think there's other people who could give better suggestions and advice to you then I can.
You basically need a web-server and you upload your exported project to that, but there's a lot of options for starting a web-server and you could do it locally on your LAN. These are things I expect others in this community can advise you on.

sanicrx

Villager
Xy$
Turns out there's a tutorial on doing that very thing in the maker itself. I'll work on that once I get off work and let you know what happens.

In the meantime I'd like to bring up a different issue I found involving multiple instances of the game being opened.

Basically, if you minimize the game (like with the Home key or tapping an SMS popup) the game can be reloaded from the window list. However, if you try reloading the game from its icon in the app tray, it will instead open a second instance of the game.

It's easy to tell this is happening because, if you close out the second instance of the game (with the back key) the first instance will automatically open itself and take over.

Is there any solution to this?

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
Basically, if you minimize the game (like with the Home key or tapping an SMS popup) the game can be reloaded from the window list. However, if you try reloading the game from its icon in the app tray, it will instead open a second instance of the game.

It's easy to tell this is happening because, if you close out the second instance of the game (with the back key) the first instance will automatically open itself and take over.

Is there any solution to this?
Sounds like I missed something when testing. I'll probably have to solve this by updating the code.

The fix is to open the AndroidManifest.xml and inside the <activity> tag add the property:
XML:
<activity
    android:launchMode="singleInstance">

firecat

Villager
I try and followed everything to the final step but it is not working, i keep getting this

net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

either it doesn't detect www file or my android 4.4 is not supported.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
I try and followed everything to the final step but it is not working, i keep getting this

net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

either it doesn't detect www file or my android 4.4 is not supported.
Android 4.4 is definitely supported. Sounds like it's not detecting your www folder, did you put it in the correct location?

It should be inside the app assets folder and inside the www folder should be index.html

firecat

Villager
Android 4.4 is definitely supported. Sounds like it's not detecting your www folder, did you put it in the correct location?

It should be inside the app assets folder and inside the www folder should be index.html
got it to somewhat work, major problems include crashing and i don't know why. amazon test shows fire phone works fine but everything else will crash.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
got it to somewhat work, major problems include crashing and i don't know why. amazon test shows fire phone works fine but everything else will crash.
Do you have any Plugins in your project? Any Plugins that depend on files will be broken by the "Exclude unused files" export option in RPG Maker MV, that will cause file not found errors.

If possible, could you provide a screenshot of where you see this crash message? If it's a "Stopped Working" crash then can you plug your device into your development machine and copy in the LogCat crash log?

firecat

Villager
Do you have any Plugins in your project? Any Plugins that depend on files will be broken by the "Exclude unused files" export option in RPG Maker MV, that will cause file not found errors.

If possible, could you provide a screenshot of where you see this crash message? If it's a "Stopped Working" crash then can you plug your device into your development machine and copy in the LogCat crash log?
I thought i fix that problem with html5 and now i have to fix it on android (aww) i'll see which one is causing it this time and wny. the html5 was from images not being added and very easy fix but on android i did add the images so there shouldn't be the same problem. maybe the music is the problem because its ogg and music plays first before menu screen.

sanicrx

Villager
Xy$
I'm back!

Sorry, I'm having some issues with RPGMV's local server tutorial--I'll keep messing with it, but I would like a report that my friend's Samsung Galaxy Note 5 has the same problem--odd lines appearing next to tileset objects like trees and general fuzziness, especially with autotiles like building walls.

That's one thing I neglected to mention too--It's ONLY the tilesets that are having graphical issues. I haven't noticed any issues with character or monster sprites.

So to recap, the graphical issue is recurring on a Galaxy S6 and a Galaxy Note 5 (worth noting that they have almost identical CPU/GPU specs), but not on my Alcatel Pixi Theatre.

Hope that helps!

doranikofu

Villager
Xy$
I also heard complaints from players with lower builds of android. Looks like 6.x higher might be more stable.
I am just curious, is there any setting in Android Studio that can affect compatibility?
such as library depository, build tools version, etc.

firecat

Villager
Good news i got it to work for only 5.0 and up which isnt great but that was not the real problem. See this picture: http://imgur.com/a/yyS2r

It is a report i got on every test, i looked into it and apparently RPG Maker MV won't install all music files in android for some reason. Also all images are ".rpgmvp" files for some reason.

sanicrx

Villager
Xy$
I also heard complaints from players with lower builds of android. Looks like 6.x higher might be more stable.
I am just curious, is there any setting in Android Studio that can affect compatibility?
such as library depository, build tools version, etc.
If the complaints are from lag/framerate/choppiness/etc, this is probably due to the phone's hardware more than the OS version. Any phone with hardware equivalent to a Galaxy S6 should be able to run most RPGMV games smoothly. If not, then that may be an issue with your game itself--a bad parallel process, too many moving events, or a lighting plugin (Terrax lighting WILL cause framerate issues, I learned that the hard way).

Good news i got it to work for only 5.0 and up which isnt great but that was not the real problem. See this picture: http://imgur.com/a/yyS2r

It is a report i got on every test, i looked into it and apparently RPG Maker MV won't install all music files in android for some reason. Also all images are ".rpgmvp" files for some reason.
Make sure your audio files don't have any illegal characters, like spaces, in them. They won't work otherwise. As for the images being .rpgmvp files, that's from encrypting them when you deployed your game I believe.

firecat

Villager
Make sure your audio files don't have any illegal characters, like spaces, in them. They won't work otherwise. As for the images being .rpgmvp files, that's from encrypting them when you deployed your game I believe.
Same error, I even added mp3 files but nothing change. Im going to try .m4a since that is what the error is trying to find. It will take another day to get the results because google only allows 1 test per day.

doranikofu

Villager
Xy$
If the complaints are from lag/framerate/choppiness/etc, this is probably due to the phone's hardware more than the OS version. Any phone with hardware equivalent to a Galaxy S6 should be able to run most RPGMV games smoothly. If not, then that may be an issue with your game itself--a bad parallel process, too many moving events, or a lighting plugin (Terrax lighting WILL cause framerate issues, I learned that the hard way).
There were 1-2 plays (not sure how widespread it was) who told me they had errors upon loading the game (type error of undefined stuff). After I asked them to upgrad the OS to android 7.x they told me the game now can be ran. So not sure if there were some compatibility issues there. It is just hard to collect those info to really understand what is going on.
thanks for the reply.

firecat

Villager
There were 1-2 plays (not sure how widespread it was) who told me they had errors upon loading the game (type error of undefined stuff). After I asked them to upgrad the OS to android 7.x they told me the game now can be ran. So not sure if there were some compatibility issues there. It is just hard to collect those info to really understand what is going on.
thanks for the reply.
im not sure if this code (the one that makes android) is working to today's android. just tested with firebase in all 7+ phones and all get the same error (no music at main menu) even though there should be no error because the files are there. Either android rpg maker version is broken or this guide rpg maker version is broken, i can't pick which one is the main cause.