Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think of RPG Maker games flooding everything?

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Now that we can publish to HTML, android, and iOS (potentially support for other platforms as well such as Wii U, xbox, etc), what do you think of the possibility that we will see a large influx of RPG Maker games everywhere?

Would it turn out like how RPG Maker was received when a bunch of games were submitted to Steam Greenlight?

Now that we can publish to HTML, android, and iOS (potentially support for other platforms as well such as Wii U, xbox, etc), what do you think of the possibility that we will see a large influx of RPG Maker games everywhere?

Would it turn out like how RPG Maker was received when a bunch of games were submitted to Steam Greenlight?
I think this is an excellent question, and is one I was wondering myself a little bit ago. As someone who is looking to possible try and sell my game for a little ol' $0.99, it's frightening to think that the market may be saturated with hobby games that are of similar "quality" (not sure of what other word to use) and are free. Really, game making for me is a hobby too, but I was secretly hoping to make an RPG that would stand out a bit with its retro feel that RPG Maker MV will seem to grant by default. Now, with potentially hundreds, if not thousands, coming our way via Play or the App Store or other game-sharing sites within the next year or half-decade, it seems nearly impossible to stand out, unless you're a marketing genius or advertising whiz (neither of which I am). Anyone else get this feeling?

Additionally, think of the process - for games to come to fruition, they'll mostly require play testing and input, and many more demand attention than give it. Receiving constructive criticism may be harder to come by than ever before. After finally making it back to the RPG Maker community, I fear going unnoticed more than I did back in the early 2000s.:(

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Now, with potentially hundreds, if not thousands, coming our way via Play or the App Store or other game-sharing sites within the next year or half-decade, it seems nearly impossible to stand out, unless you're a marketing genius or advertising whiz (neither of which I am). Anyone else get this feeling?
I don't have much experience with marketing or advertising and don't have the kind of audience that others have (think people with hundreds of thousands of followers)

But I think that challenge also provides a good opportunity to build those skills, using your projects as motivation and also a way to gauge your progress. Or perhaps finding people that have that kind of talent and bringing them into the process.

You could potentially reach out to developers on game portals to see if they're willing to share some of the things they do.

Additionally, think of the process - for games to come to fruition, they'll mostly require play testing and input, and many more demand attention than give it. Receiving constructive criticism may be harder to come by than ever before. After finally making it back to the RPG Maker community, I fear going unnoticed more than I did back in the early 2000s.:(
I think most games tend to get at least one or two useful criticisms.
And if you really can't get any, there's always the RM communities which generally provide better feedback cause I'm sure it would also be in their interest to have other people's RM games be the best that they can.[/QUOTE]

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!

Let them come! APPLE HUNGERS!!!

Okay for a more legitimate answer. Here's the big scoop.

The Smartphone Gaming market can't really recede much further than it has already.

WiiU is something that I doubt will allow it, Nintendo are very protective of their first party IP's. I can't imagine they'd let an engine which is used quite commonly to make blatantly inferior rip-offs of their own games be used.

Also what kind of dunce would want to even push out games on the WiiU outside of Nintendo and the third parties they pay to make shit. (See most recent Platinum Games; Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 etc.)

Xbox is also a dicey one, first off the amount of shit you have to go through to get Microsoft to lease you as an IP provider is costly, and even more costly once you start pushing out games. I'd hope that anyone ambitious enough to put their rpgmak games on Xbox or WiiU will do research on the firms surrounding those market places.

Smartphones? Heck, I'm probably gonna do a couple solid smartphone games myself to make some easy dosh that I can then put towards the bigger games I'll put on PC.

As for HTML5, again, I'm fine with it. Hell, it's a good way to give out easy-access demos to try out mechanics, I can get in-dev player feedback, and that's awesome.

Primarily I think that's what I'll use the HTML5 embedding for.

HTML5 is the most likely candidate for a rehearsal of the Greenlight academy. With places like ArmorGames and Kongregate being flooded with the things.

Oh and Newgrounds but the last time anyone took Newgrounds seriously was before Andrew Hussie unwittingly made it explode with the Cascade flash.

Undoubtedly, the iOS/Android gaming marketplace will also be flooded, but mostly I see that as just a step in an interesting new direction than any sort of Dilemma.

Last edited:

dcsant

Knight
Xy$
The flood of RPG Maker games doesn't bother me, but the high prices of these games. I saw a lot of games made with RTP on Steam costing more than renowed titles.

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
From what I have observed, most games made with any RPG Maker engine are very low-quality. That's also the reason for the overall bad reputation of RPG Maker. I'd guesstimate that for every one "good" RPG Maker game there's 10 "bad" ones - quickly made to reel in some cash.
With MV and the support of mobile platforms and Mac, the games are going to spread even further, that's for certain. But that also includes the horrible and poorly made games. I don't want to imagine how much "shovel ware" (i.e. many games of low quality for quick profit) there will be in the future. However, we can be almost certain that there won't be any forum users amongst those who want to make quick profit.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
From what I have observed, most games made with any RPG Maker engine are very low-quality. That's also the reason for the overall bad reputation of RPG Maker. I'd guesstimate that for every one "good" RPG Maker game there's 10 "bad" ones - quickly made to reel in some cash.
With MV and the support of mobile platforms and Mac, the games are going to spread even further, that's for certain. But that also includes the horrible and poorly made games. I don't want to imagine how much "shovel ware" (i.e. many games of low quality for quick profit) there will be in the future. However, we can be almost certain that there won't be any forum users amongst those who want to make quick profit.
There's a lot of really bad games made with RPG Maker, but there are a few diamonds in the rough, funnily enough, these are typically entirely free.

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
There's a lot of really bad games made with RPG Maker, but there are a few diamonds in the rough, funnily enough, these are typically entirely free.
And that's exactly what I love about the RPG Maker community. That some people who really put their hearts into a project make it available for free just for the sake of sharing. At the same time, I despise all people who (ab)use RPG Maker just for quick profit. I would never want to see my resources used for those kind of games. However, games made with love? Count me in! :D

And that's exactly what I love about the RPG Maker community. That some people who really put their hearts into a project make it available for free just for the sake of sharing. At the same time, I despise all people who (ab)use RPG Maker just for quick profit. I would never want to see my resources used for those kind of games. However, games made with love? Count me in! :D
I'm curious: what's your take on people like me, who want to put things on the App Store and so charge $0.99 for a game to at least hope to cover the $100 annual iTunes store service fee? I wish I could make my game free (and I could if I didn't use things like the App Store to share my game), but I'd like to reach a wider audience and show potential recruiters in the future that I take my projects very seriously, in a business-like fashion. It won't be a crap game, but it also won't be free, though I'm thinking I could do so for the community, at least. :3

dcsant

Knight
Xy$
One hundred dollars for annual fee? That's a lot of money.
Why not try it on Google Store? You just pay 25 bucks to get in.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
You know I'm not too worried about the flooding of RM games. For ,me I enjoy seeing people using their creative side even if it turns out bad. I kinda see the big picture rather than the small piece immediately in from of me, and the big picture to me is more people using their creativity will soon become very good at utilizing RM and in turn better games start being released. The only problem, is the lack of good balance, there are sometimes way more crappy games compared to good games, but everyone got to start somewhere right? .