Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Script in this video not working?

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
@Aisling Starr ...

The screen shots of the Event are OK, but we're missing an important part of your issue. What is it that's not working..? Can we see a screen shot of the Map on which this Event is placed, please..?
If this Event is on a Tile on the Map, it will only work if the Tile is at coordinates X1:Y1, and the Actor facing North. That's not how the video shows it being used. The Script Call should be in a Common Event instead. The idea in the video is to have the Common Event linked to an Item (in the video, it's a Key, but it could be any Item useful to the plot...). When linked to an Item, using the Item in the Game will trigger the test to see is the Actor is standing in the right spot, facing the right direction, on the right Map. In that case, and that case alone, the dialogues will be triggered. If the Actor is not on the right spot etc, nothing happens.
The advantage of this is that if, mater on in the Game, the Item is to be used on another Map, a second test for X:Y is all that's required, not a whole new Common Event. The Common Event could grow to cover a whole range of uses of this same Item. IS that what you need to do in your Game..?
Could I suggest that you watch through the video again, and do exactly as the fellow does, on a similar, sparse Map, just so that you get it to work. Once you get the video version working, transpose it into your real Project, pasting in all the dialogue stuff.
It's a Good Idea, in general, to try things out on a small scale before going ahead with all the details and trimmings. They can come later, once a simplified version is working and mastered.
Hope this helps; get back to us if you have further questions on this issue, please.

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
@Aisling Starr ...

The screen shots of the Event are OK, but we're missing an important part of your issue. What is it that's not working..? Can we see a screen shot of the Map on which this Event is placed, please..?
If this Event is on a Tile on the Map, it will only work if the Tile is at coordinates X1:Y1, and the Actor facing North. That's not how the video shows it being used. The Script Call should be in a Common Event instead. The idea in the video is to have the Common Event linked to an Item (in the video, it's a Key, but it could be any Item useful to the plot...). When linked to an Item, using the Item in the Game will trigger the test to see is the Actor is standing in the right spot, facing the right direction, on the right Map. In that case, and that case alone, the dialogues will be triggered. If the Actor is not on the right spot etc, nothing happens.
The advantage of this is that if, mater on in the Game, the Item is to be used on another Map, a second test for X:Y is all that's required, not a whole new Common Event. The Common Event could grow to cover a whole range of uses of this same Item. IS that what you need to do in your Game..?
Could I suggest that you watch through the video again, and do exactly as the fellow does, on a similar, sparse Map, just so that you get it to work. Once you get the video version working, transpose it into your real Project, pasting in all the dialogue stuff.
It's a Good Idea, in general, to try things out on a small scale before going ahead with all the details and trimmings. They can come later, once a simplified version is working and mastered.
Hope this helps; get back to us if you have further questions on this issue, please.

The event itself isn't working.

How the event was suppose to work is that you walk towards the door (a step behind the end of the hall ) AFTER you get the books. You'll give the golden books to the ghost of the library (who will be implemented in the main game), she'll "open the door" (transport you) to another room, which will be Aisling's room, where (in this game version) you'll meet a few of the characters that will be implemented in the main game. You cannot leave this room unless you speak to Aisling. She will take you back to the main menu.

And I did, it's not working, and I'm confused on what I'm suppose to be doing. He adds codes into the video that I'm not sure where I'm suppose to put or how to use.
[doublepost=1473811311,1473811101][/doublepost]

How the event was suppose to work is that you walk towards the door (a step behind the end of the hall ) AFTER you get the books. You'll give the golden books to the ghost of the library (who will be implemented in the main game), she'll "open the door" (transport you) to another room, which will be Aisling's room, where (in this game version) you'll meet a few of the characters that will be implemented in the main game. You cannot leave this room unless you speak to Aisling. She will take you back to the main menu.

And I did, it's not working, and I'm confused on what I'm suppose to be doing. He adds codes into the video that I'm not sure where I'm suppose to put or how to use.

Wait, I see what you're saying. I didn't put it in the database.
[doublepost=1473812147][/doublepost]Aaaaaand it's still not working...Lovely.

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
Check the Map ID. In your code (First, Right...) you've put Map ID 1. In the Map screen shot above, I see it's Map 4.
Does that help..?

I see no valid reason for having the positional condition script, as the Actor could only be in the right spot, in the right direction, to trigger such an Event on the Door, but you may have your reasons.

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
Check the Map ID. In your code (First, Right...) you've put Map ID 1. In the Map screen shot above, I see it's Map 4.
Does that help..?

I see no valid reason for having the positional condition script, as the Actor could only be in the right spot, in the right direction, to trigger such an Event on the Door, but you may have your reasons.

Maybe that's the problem, I'll check it. How do you check the map ID though?
[doublepost=1473815132,1473814909][/doublepost]
Maybe that's the problem, I'll check it. How do you check the map ID though?

Oh, nevermind, I see it in the top left corner.
[doublepost=1473815704][/doublepost]Nope. Changed it, it didn't work. Maybe there's something wrong with my script...

Oh well, instead of doing it like that, I copied and pasted the event onto the event at the end of the hall, then made it so it would trigger if you had the books.

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer

That's a much more orthodox way of doing that particular task. The video 'key' stuff is very useful, but in different circumstances than yours. Well done for solving your problem.

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando

That's a much more orthodox way of doing that particular task. The video 'key' stuff is very useful, but in different circumstances than yours. Well done for solving your problem.

Thanks, but one more problem I have: I know certain people can't use their arrow keys, so is there a way to change that so that they can use the W, A, S, and D keys to move instead of the usual arrow keys?

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
There are a few keyboard plugins out there you can use to set your own custom keys. The link below is one recently uploaded here, I never tried it so I don't know how easy it is but he's a good plugin developer and writes pretty clean code, check it out if you'd like.

https://rpgmakermv.co/resources/dk-full-input.1051/

Another question? (Sorry if I'm asking too many questions on one forum page) How do plugins work? I'm really not sure how to install them...