Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random battles or Not?

Which type of encounter do you prefer?

• Random Encounters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Encounters (Please specify)

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

TheUnproPro

Boondoggle
Staff member
Resource Team
Partner
I'm curious about everyones personal opinions on random encounters vs other forms of enemy encounters. Personally, I'm fine with either but I'd probably prefer on-map encounters.

Troctzul

Troctzul: Father, RPG Maker, Conqueror of Worlds
Xy$
I've always used a mixture of both. Most of the old JRPGs that I remember did the same. For instance, boss fights shouldn't be random. I use random battles on the world map or other very large ones, but then avoidable encounters on dungeon maps to mix it up.

Enson

Villager
Xy$
I love random encounters, but i'll say just like CraftGeek. If you can't make 5 steps without being attacked, it can be boring. Personnaly, too much encounters and I lost the track of where I wanted to go, especially in caves wheres it's dark. Right now I'm working on something different, with a monster chasing the player and when it touches you the combat starts. That can give a boost to intensity in some scenes!

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
I don't think this question is simply a matter of preference; Random encounters can be done properly, just that we don't see them done properly very often. The default RPG Maker system probably isn't ideal for a production game.

I think what people fear most is time being wasted, which random encounters tend to do, that's the problem that needs solving. I don't think any game developer should prefer one system over the other, they should be looking at the pros and cons and they should be thinking about improving either system.

You lose a lot when you get rid of random encounters, how do you gain that back with map-encounters?
If you want to use random encounters, how do you improve them so people stop complaining?

Enson

Villager
Xy$
RPGs are, in some ways, linked to that leveling up concept. As a player, I like runing around to fight random monsters and get my heros better skills or make them more powerful. For me, it's kind of a fun part.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I prefer on-map encounters - I don't dislike random encounters, but they get tiresome after a while. (cheeky)

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By random encounters, are you talking about not seeing the enemies on the map, prior to engagement? Sometimes planned evented encounters appear to be random encounters, because they are not seen.

I like playing both types.

TheUnproPro

Boondoggle
Staff member
Resource Team
Partner
By random encounters, are you talking about not seeing the enemies on the map, prior to engagement? Sometimes planned evented encounters appear to be random encounters, because they are not seen.

I like playing both types.
Yeah, I mean the ones where you dont see the enemy on the map when I say random encounters :)

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
With Pokémon Yellow being the first video game I ever played and me being a big fan of JRPGs in general, I've got somewhat accustomed to random battles. However, the latest trends in RPG-making aren't really keeping me from playing those games either. It's just plain evolution of ideas. Take Final Fantasy: I enjoyed FFX's random battles with the little tactical aspect they had; I enjoyed FFXII's MMO-like system and semi-automatic battling; I even liked how FFXIII did things by having on-screen enemies you can engage. Pokémon kinda has a mix of random and on-screen. Wild Pokémon you encounter at random, but trainers you can (sometimes) choose to engage or not.
In short: as long as it makes sense for the game, I enjoy any kind of battle system. ^-^

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Tough call, a lot of good points mentioned above. (hella)(icecream)

If I absolutely had to pick... I like to have on map visible enemies that trigger a random battle.

Somewhat like Chrono Trigger... however not placed in specific coordinates but randomly generated into specific set regions.

The on map enemy event would have a sensor system to seek the player.

Once the event is activated then it would pick a battle out of a set random list. (cool)(thumbsup)

To go a step further you can customize what enemies appear on the map based on player level or other key values. (cute)

Summary:
On map battles that trigger random battles from a set list per on map event enemy. (smile)

Enson

Villager
Xy$
Tough call, a lot of good points mentioned above. (hella)(icecream)

If I absolutely had to pick... I like to have on map visible enemies that trigger a random battle.

Somewhat like Chrono Trigger... however not placed in specific coordinates but randomly generated into specific set regions.

The on map enemy event would have a sensor system to seek the player.

Once the event is activated then it would pick a battle out of a set random list. (cool)(thumbsup)

To go a step further you can customize what enemies appear on the map based on player level or other key values. (cute)

Summary:
On map battles that trigger random battles from a set list per on map event enemy. (smile)
(heart)(heart)(heart) Chrono Trigger (heart)(heart)(heart) This game was so epic! Something else, so special! In every way!