Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parallax mapping.

LordJhonSnow

Villager
Xy$
So as far as I understand it is you make your map in gimp or whatever you're using and once you finished it and you go to your RPG Maker you go to your map hit edit go to Parallax background and select your image and paste it there. Now when I would do this at first it wouldn't show up I'd have to create a brand new map make it the same size have blank and then paste the parallax image of there. Now that works fine until I get to my third map this certain map is now outside and has trees and things you should be able to walk behind. Now as I understand it you have to have two layers one layer as your background and your second layer as an overlay layer of stuff you can walk behind. As I'm as far as I am as where you can use the bind to map plugins or kaus ultimate overlay plugin. What confuses me is that you need to have different layers and certain things set up for this to work and I really don't understand that part can anyone help me out

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Once you finished it and you go to your RPG Maker you go to your map hit edit go to Parallax background and select your image and paste it there. Now when I would do this at first it wouldn't show up I'd have to create a brand new map make it the same size have blank and then paste the parallax image of there. Now that works fine until I get to my third map this certain map is now outside and has trees and things you should be able to walk behind. Now as I understand it you have to have two layers one layer as your background and your second layer as an overlay layer of stuff you can walk behind. As I'm as far as I am as where you can use the bind to map plugins or kaus ultimate overlay plugin. What confuses me is that you need to have different layers and certain things set up for this to work and I really don't understand that part can anyone help me out
Hmmm... I think this is a confusing topic.
There is "Parallaxes" that are used in MV to do things like scroll in the background...
Then there is "parallax mapping" which is quite different...
Parallax Mapping:
So as far as I understand it is you make your map in gimp or whatever you're using
You can use gimp to do the whole thing but for some maps there is a nice way to get the basics using a MapShot plugin.

Parallax Mapping (How To, Method One):
  1. Use a plugin to get the basic map as an whole image such as OrangeMapShot bu Hudell.
  2. The basic map would only include things like autotiles and maybe the borders like walls.
    That would be like walls/border tiles, rugs, grass (not fancy grass just the basics).
  3. Then take that into gimp and use that as a base layer and add other layers in gimp (like trees).
  4. Trees would be split into the at least 2 though... ground & upper.
    (I usually do a layer for just collision but that can be also just added to ground.
    ...But in the demo below I just put the base of the tree on the ground layer)
  5. Save each layer (ground, upper, etc)
  6. Once you've got a full image (full trees, etc). Save that to "./img/parallaxes"
  7. Use that to set the collision using the tile-set I've included in the demo.
  8. It is using 4 Direction passage. red dots are impassable, blue arrows are passable.
  9. Then using a plugin such as TDDP_BindPicturesToMap by Tor Damian Design
  10. You show the pictures of each layer.
  11. Then using the plugin bind them to the screen (so the don't move) and set the layer you want them to be bound to.
  12. Place a parallax setup event on map (see demo)
  13. REMOVE full image from parallax from map properties.
I've made you a small demo of one way how to parallax map.
Parallax Mapping Demo: Click here to Download

Gotta run off to work now. Let me know how it goes. Hope that helps.

I can provide more info when I get home.

Happy game making!

Last edited: