Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make 8-Bit Music

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Famitracker is a program that allows you to make 8-Bit music, for any of your music creators out there. This is something I'm really interested in seeing people make, as I kind of want my whole game music to be in 8-Bit to be honest :O

I figured I'd share this with everyone :) If you are a music creator, I highly recommend at least checking this out!

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks @Xyphien . Being mainly a writer, mapper, etc., I never though I would get into music composition. This may go perfect with a future project, 'Ole Skool.'

Does it have a way to convert the .ftm to .ogg format?

Last edited:

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I write songs every now and then, so I might just have to try this out! I've always wanted an 8-bit soundtrack for my project :D

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Thank you for sharing Xyphien, this seems like a fun little tool. I will be sure to give it a try sometime, just to see how it works out. :D

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
Famitracker is a great piece of software if you know how to use it correctly. I just wanted to say that there's also a lot of VSTs out there that can do a similar job. Since I've been looking more into retro soundtracks and how to create them with modern means I came across a bunch of potent VSTs that you can use if you're a little versed in digital music creation (i.e. you know how to use a DAW).
I have found a lot of good sounding VSTs that can produce NES, Gameboy and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis (and many others') sounds right here. ^_^

zath

Villager
Xy$
Famitracker is great. It also allows you to make *authentic* NES music, because it emulates the actual hardware and that means it comes with the limitations. This is actually a good thing! Working on music within limitations means that you can be more creative finding ways to push against those limits.

There are some interesting videos about how the NES (and other old game consoles) produced music. Here's one:
(they start talking about the NES at 2 minutes and 4 seconds, but watching the whole video is worth it).
[doublepost=1464468696,1464468205][/doublepost]
Thanks @Xyphien . Being mainly a writer, mapper, etc., I never though I would get into music composition. This may go perfect with a future project, 'Ole Skool.'

First, you would output a .WAV version in Famitracker. (In the FILE menu, it says Create Wav...). Then another program would be used to turn the WAV into OGG.
An FTM file is just the instructions for a song, whereas WAV is the actual sound output.

For making OGGs, I like to use Audacity. I could put together a little OGG conversion tutorial, if that would be helpful. :)

Just in case you're not aware, I'll point out there is this website which is reliable and spam-free that converts pretty much audio files to .ogg. I use it all the time and it's really simple: https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg

Here is the main site too, in which it converts any audio to any audio: https://www.online-convert.com

Famitracker is a program that allows you to make 8-Bit music, for any of your music creators out there. This is something I'm really interested in seeing people make, as I kind of want my whole game music to be in 8-Bit to be honest :O

I figured I'd share this with everyone :) If you are a music creator, I highly recommend at least checking this out!
Also, for those out there who want something a bit simpler, you can always try http://www.pulseboy.com which is pretty easy to use and user friendly.