Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fellow non-scripters, tell me why...

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
I've got almost the same reason as you for not learning scripting. I am quite busy with costum graphics. For MV I am gradually learning it. Just to tweak certain stuff. Not to create conplete scripts etc.
Me too. And in my opinion eventing is more fun anyway (we learn scripting more or less at school). I don't really know what I need it for or what you can actually do with scripts in general but when I'm looking for something complex I either event it completely or search up a fitting script and eventually modify it myself. I'd actually like to learn scriping myself but there's just not enough time. Might take the time in summer holidays when school is over

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm Column A and Column B on this entire program. I like writing a lot and I'm also a fan of acting, but my creativity doesn't extend into the visual world. I also have never really coded anything before (I had a brief foray in Flash, but that was using tutorials). I am tackling everything head on as I plan on making games for my wife.

I've already started working on pixel art, and while it's not anything special, she really appreciates the things that I have made myself.

As for scripting, I am going to try and learn it. I don't know how easy that is going to be. Honestly, most of the things offered in plugins already available will more than suffice, but I think I should learn how to do these things myself as well.

TruRevolution

Towns Guard
Xy$
So tell me fellow non-scripters, are you gonna try to learn for MV? And if you're still sticking to your non-scripty guns, what's your own reasoning?
I, personally, know very little about javascripting, or digital art creation, music composition ect.. Honestly prob the most noobish person here. But I can honestly say that from just working on my project since I've joined this site a week or so ago, is that I've learned a great deal about so much more then I had origianally thought.

Back in the day (playstation days) I enjoyed playing around with the old RPG Maker game. But now with MV I can take that to a whole another level. I've started working with more that I dont understand, like Java for instance. couldn't make heads or tails of any of it... but the more I play and mess it up, the more I begin to recognize. I hope I get to learn more about coding, as well as i hope to be able to spend some time learning more of the art work skills needed. I've been in and out of the resource section, and the talent I see in there is beyond my capabilities by far. But I hope to learn from each of you as much as possible. Not with just one aspect of game making but all of them.

I didn't get into this for commercial reasons, my project is more of a personal thing. So that anything I learn on this adventure can only help better understand the process and effort everyone makes into their games. So that when I finish, it is a reflection of my journey and what I've learned in the process.

So I guess to answer your question, I'm looking forward to putting my hands on as many aspects of game creation as possible.

noxyoursox

Villager
Xy$
I worked with Javascript before a long time ago (when I was in high school), but if I wanted to use it now I would have to completely relearn it. I'm familiar enough with the concepts of object-oriented programming that I would pick up on the basics again really quickly, but programming in any language always turns into an endless series of frustrations--fixing one thing only to find that I just broke two other things...it's really disheartening to realize that all of my work up to that point has to be redone because I went about it the wrong way to begin with (and most programmers in forums where people ask for help are really rude to people who are new and don't explain things in a clear way).

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
Haha. I know, I get it, it's a thread for people who can't script their way out of a badly written play, let alone javascript. Frankly, I've got my own reasons for steering clear of learning any kind of code (except once, when I was drunk...reeeally drunk). I'm busy, mostly. I spent too much time making games look artistic, sound mixing, music composition, and hand-made custom content (including parallax maps), all of which are insanely time consuming.

Then there's the fact that my left brain is the equivalent of a cocoa powder-covered chocolate doughnut. I can't wrap my head around any kind of code.

So tell me fellow non-scripters, are you gonna try to learn for MV? And if you're still sticking to your non-scripty guns, what's your own reasoning?
As far as scripting goes with MV, right now I'm cautious because of their conversion from Ruby to JS. Ruby is a pain, sure.... but JS is godawful.

I'm not saying it's bad, but according to research, the most asked questions about programming languages and calls for support were for JS - so while that implied a larger install base it also implies a smaller percentage of that install base really understand it well enough to be efficient. To that end, the code complexity far exceeds others such as the more appropriate move one may expect: Python.

Python lacks the code complexity and can be used in both large and small applications, whereas JS tends to be good for some small snippets. RPGM could've been made highly extensible with Python, one of the least complex languages out there. I dunno, it sort of feels like RPGM is slowly trying to choke itself in important areas. JS may have been the choice to add the mobile platform since that's what front-end programmers use for mobile development but they didn't seem to really investigate whether the idea was something anyone using the software does or would care about - especially considering the wrappers are antiquated and inefficient for the job.

So, am I going to learn JS just for RPMV? Nope. I'll get a basic understnading so that I know what I'm looking at and understand script tweaks I may need to make, but unless Kadokawa puts a lot more work into the mobile exportation I suspect we'll see them change language to something that better supports expanding the user-base and easier to consistently support (like Python); learning it just to have them change it is a waste of our time.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I believe the reason why Javascript has so many support questions on the web is because it's not a normal language like C++, it's not a class-based language it's literally all objects and objects with properties. I believe many programmers who start out with another language may have more troubles understanding how javascript works. Where a normal class-based language is mostly compiled, Javascript is interpreted, in other words, it's read line by line and not as a whole then made into an application. Javascript works on the fly, you can literally open you're the inspector in chrome or firefox and start programming right now and watch the changes happen in your browser. When you search the web for HTML5 game engines, about 80-90% of the engines will be written in Javascript, and it is understandable why RPG Maker a 2-d engine would choose a JS based engine. The main issue with MV is that they decided to use an outdated Pixi library, v2.2.9 to be exact, and Pixi is now at v3.0. They had the choice of switching before release but did not do so, I don't believe it is the language that is the issue here it is the developers of the engine. They will be switching to Pixiv3 in the next update hopefully and it should solve a big chunk of issues, including bitmap caching but I believe it was a silly move to not wait for an updated library before release.
Considering this is the first language I've decided to really take seriously when learning I am very happy I did, I can now leave MV's codebase behind and use Pixi.js as my engine or even Phaser and know that 90% of what I learned by making plugins for MV will be transferrable to many other game engines, I can leave the confines of MV and enjoy the freedom of JS based engines, including 3-d ones. Seriously, though, if you give JS a chance, even if you only want to learn it in MV for simple things, you will be amazed at how you can simply take those skills elsewhere and start creating your own games without an editor, just pure JS.

Kit Ramos

Villager
Xy$
I'm another programmer. I've got a good deal of experience with JavaScript, as well as a few other web languages, and I am trying to dive more into how to make plugins and scripts. Though I can certainly understand it's not for everyone. Heck there's still plenty of stuff about making plugins that still baffle and confuse me. My problem is the majority of the tutorials I can find either work on using the non js basic scripting interface. or assume you've made lots of plugins in ruby and just don't know how JavaScript works. reason I say that is they have a lot of stuff that would be useful if I needed to learn how to use JS but practically nothing about the api used to get data in from the game engine to the js code to work it's magic on, then how to send the data back out to the game engine so the game can react properly. what of it I do know now is from a lot of poking around almost blindly and messing with the debugger. So JavaScript I can do and I can do it pretty well. it's just how it interacts with the game is largely still a mystery to me.

But I also can understand from another standpoint,as even if they did have good documentation on the JavaScript API for the game, I would still believe it's not for everyone as when I try to create any kind of art well lets just say if I make a decent looking stick figure I'm quite proud of myself.
So everyone's got their own nitch yours is art, or music, or layout design or some combination there of. Mine is programing, and well it takes all kinds to make a good game get released (wink)

SkywardRiver

Villager
Xy$
I'm actually a fairly adept programmer. Used to make my living off of it haha. The thing that gets me is JavaScript. I hate it. If we had some C# up in here I'd be all over that. JavaScript to me is just overly tedious to a point where I simply do not wish to learn it's entire Syntax. I know some here will crucify me for saying this, but it's my honest opinion on the matter haha.

Kit Ramos

Villager
Xy$
I'm actually a fairly adept programmer. Used to make my living off of it haha. The thing that gets me is JavaScript. I hate it. If we had some C# up in here I'd be all over that. JavaScript to me is just overly tedious to a point where I simply do not wish to learn it's entire Syntax. I know some here will crucify me for saying this, but it's my honest opinion on the matter haha.
The Syntax that you do already know is always going to be easier then the one you don't. haven't played with c# to know what it's like but figure it's one of those things