Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YEA or NAY: Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll pose this as two questions:
1) Do you like having romance present in the games you play?
2) Do you like to incorporate an degree of romance into your own projects?

I'm not anti-romance by any stretch - in fact I'm described as a romantic type - but man, does romance ever elude me in game planning. Many games I play, though, are riddled with little romances. Does anyone else think or feel similarly?

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
I'd put in some romance when the need calls for it. Example: My first Sword Coast Legends module will string the two Encounters seasons in Neverwinter back to back, and the main thread connecting them is a romance between Lord Dagult Neverember and Lady Stephanie Algonar, where a relationship that started as a "Come let us reason together" blossoms into a romance as the two become co-rulers of Neverwinter.

Trumully

Cyborg Kiwi

I'm not anti-romance by any stretch - in fact I'm described as a romantic type - but man, does romance ever elude me in game planning. Many games I play, though, are riddled with little romances. Does anyone else think or feel similarly?
I'd have to agree with you.
Like all other games, books, tv shows and movies, romantic sub-plots present in your game spices things up a little and hooks players in. I have never used any form of romance in any of my games as of yet. But one day, mine will come... :)

I'd have to agree with you.
Like all other games, books, tv shows and movies, romantic sub-plots present in your game spices things up a little and hooks players in. I have never used any form of romance in any of my games as of yet. But one day, mine will come... :)
Sooooomeday my priiince will come~
Channeling my inner Snow White. Yeah, romance is all around but I never seem to incorporate it and the moment hasn't presented itself. I just find it kind of secondary. Is that bad? Haha XC

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!

If there's 2 or more major characters, I'll usually have the Disney sort of romance, where they start of as rivals or complacent with each other's company, but it develops bit by bit. if we're lucky, they'll have their first kiss or cuddle by the end game.

Sometimes I'll leave romance as entirely optional content. For example: In Menagerie: Remastered, Fyori and Spooky more or less don't get on at all during the first portion of the game, but gradually Spooky becomes impressed by Fyori, and when Fyori learns more about Spooky she also becomes more warm to him. That's about as far as it goes in the progressive plot arc, however, in the large optional side quest with Captain Crikey's hunt for the hoard of the White Wyrm, Fyori and Spooky discuss it some, and as they end up roped into a large corporate conspiracy, they become closer.

In Perseverance: Adherence, Nola and Pep start out as rivals in a way, but over time as they face challenges together, they become closer. The game will build on this relationship quite a bit as things get more disparate.

In Intelligence, the three friends haven't really developed romantic feelings, but they get through everything thrown at them through their combined might.

Exile, it's unlikely romance will be a thing, since it's based on walking your own path... that said, to compensate, it has charming relationships throughout the game as you asked about also. Bit-time characters can be really entertaining, and it's an opportunity a lot of people don't seem to make use of.

There's the guy and girl in Burger World talking about video games and who's going to be pilot this time. As well as just, not even so much charming as just real conversations between parents and children and even just adults.

The boy refusing to eat his fries, and his father sussing him out by jesting that maybe they'll go for desert. My mother did this to me a lot.

There's a young girl and her mother, and the young girl is eager to go on the 'elevator ride' again, her mother says they have to eat first, when you talk to the mother alone, she says she hopes it stays this way, the elevator ride is free and very safe!

Then there's the two blokes arguing if some guy did a thing or not. Oh god, I really should work on that game again.

I personally like to put some sort of romance into my games. Though, it usually doesn't last to the final draft for one reason or another.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I never introduced Romance into my games or my ideas for games. Not that I disagree with romance but I never had it come into my creative flow, so I ignore it. If I did do romance, it would be simillar to ff7, it's romance was not too strong and it was well balanced.

Cloud Knight

Praised Adventurer

1. Depends On The Game And Setting Of The Game Also Story Wise? Does It Fit. Is It Acceptable ? is the timing and setting for this brief moment cliche or just right, personalty i do like it. to a degree, i go more biblical with it meaning 1 partner is with 1 partner so if it get's to complicated where there's like 3 different ppl all on 1 person and 1 person with the 3 different ppl toying or not ect it's distasteful and i just smh
  2. again like the above, depends on game setting timing and ect. so if it did it would have to evolve into the story. or the story would already be made with them together as they conquer the adventure maybe a kidnapping takes place and your forced to sacrifice yourself or something to get her back ect. if it's tragic with a taste of cuteness maybe. just depends i guess you can say.

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
If it takes a backseat to the real plot munchies, and doesn't detract from developing other relationships, such as friendships, rivalries, nemeses, then allons-y!

If the game isn't strictly a romance game, then it should be like one of many different coloured yarns in a winter scarf. It's not different from the rest of the yarn, it's just there, helping hold it together and keeping your neck toasty.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I like romance if it's written well, and not the main point of a story. Romances aren't my cup of tea, so I prefer when they end up taking a more minor role in a story.

Sonicboy95

Adventurer
I'm may be the only guy to say that I love romance in a game.
If the main plot is a romance story like a manga then awesome.
if it is a side thing or optional part of the game then I would go out of my way every time I play the game to get the romance.
.........Just take my man card already you onlookers.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think romance is perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't compromise the integrity of the story. If it goes against the themes of the game, then romance doesn't belong. If romance goes well with the themes of the game, then even better.
If romance is just tacked on to a game (for example,the character suddenly falling in love with a brand new character), then it will feel forced and seem very tacky.

pyn

Towns Guard
Xy$
I'm a chronic shipper, so romance is probably one of my favorite aspects of games that I play AND create. The fluffier, the better.

That being said, though, I don't like it being a major part of the game's storyline. I like it to be more of a sidequest; your main character and one of their romance options build up a relationship over a series of spread out mini-events that form their own cohesive story without interfering with the rest of the game. Some dialogue might change, and and you might get a little something extra after the game, but the story doesn't take a back seat to the hero dating his squeeze.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That being said, though, I don't like it being a major part of the game's storyline. I like it to be more of a sidequest; your main character and one of their romance options build up a relationship over a series of spread out mini-events that form their own cohesive story without interfering with the rest of the game. Some dialogue might change, and and you might get a little something extra after the game, but the story doesn't take a back seat to the hero dating his squeeze.
I agree with this.
A good example of it, I think, would be the way that you could pair characters up in Fire Emblem Awakening. It was almost some sort of challenge because you had to keep the two characters you wanted to get married near each other in battle. And that wasn't always easy. By doing that, you'd unlock special dialogue and a graphic.

Sonicboy95

Adventurer
I'm a chronic shipper, so romance is probably one of my favorite aspects of games that I play AND create. The fluffier, the better.

You summed up my thoughts for me. saves me from typing another long post thanks.
that being said is anybody currently making a romantic comedy or a game with romance in it at all?

pyn

Towns Guard
Xy$
You summed up my thoughts for me. saves me from typing another long post thanks.
that being said is anybody currently making a romantic comedy or a game with romance in it at all?
You're welcome!

Romantic comedy, no, but my game will be implementing romantic subquests like the ones I described. It's a bit ambitious, but I plan on having an ending for every possible combination of one or two playable characters that you can unlock by doing mini-events, a la Star Ocean 2. With the eight main characters I currently plan on having, that's at least 36 endings. Basically, you can make any ship you want canon.

But, of course, while the romantic subquests can be games in and of themselves, they will not have much of a bearing on the main story. Some changed dialogue and, of course, the endings, but that's it. It will still be a fantastical quest first and foremost.

Sonicboy95

Adventurer
You're welcome!

Romantic comedy, no, but my game will be implementing romantic subquests like the ones I described. It's a bit ambitious, but I plan on having an ending for every possible combination of one or two playable characters that you can unlock by doing mini-events, a la Star Ocean 2. With the eight main characters I currently plan on having, that's at least 36 endings. Basically, you can make any ship you want canon.

But, of course, while the romantic subquests can be games in and of themselves, they will not have much of a bearing on the main story. Some changed dialogue and, of course, the endings, but that's it. It will still be a fantastical quest first and foremost.
Ship anyone, that's why I love playing fire emblem awakening. female avatar is my fav character in that game, the support conversations are just too funny.

Chibae

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca
I tend to like romance in games, as long as it is written well, Like in bioware games they have some very good written romances. If i get a chance i would Put romance into my games, but I would make it optional Unless its part of the main story line and the main character falls in love with another character :P I Tend to ship alot of people in games too, even if they don't get together. I see two people have very good chemisty they will be SHIPPED :P hehe.

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
Romance is a fine thing to be implemented in a game. Especially if it is done in a humourous way, I agree on that. It shouldn't be a main plot point though if the game isn't necessarily revolving around romance. I always like to quote Tidus from Final Fantasy X when it comes to romance in games: "Romance can wait!"
I liked how they did it in Tales of Graces. With a few loose allusions in the main story so everyone knew what was going on (e.g. the Cheri White play) and then going all out in the after-game, post-story thingy called "Lineage and Legacies" where in the end it also just a side-thing but more obvious and all is resolved, i.e. who marries whom. :D
Here's Tales of Graces on marriage.
Here's one of the few allusions...
And here's one of my favourites.
... yeah, I really, really love how they did it there. That's romance implementation well done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.