Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you say is acceptable language to use in RPG Maker?

Azdak

Villager
Xy$
  • If you are easily offended, please do not read.

I am currently doing a lot of writing in RPG Maker and there are times when you get into hostile confrontations.

Now I do not want to swear in the game, I do not want any F-Bombs or anything but iv got a few words that I'm not sure
if people would find as offensive as the "F-word"
So if I could get peoples opinions on a few words.

I am also very interested in what people in the USA and other parts of the world might think of some of these words;

So do you think it is ok to use the following words:

Bugger (Bugger off, I'm not giving you my gold!)
Sod (You lazy little sod!)
Scum (You are nothing but scum!)
Get stuffed (The king can go get stuffed!)
Blighter (You little blighter)
Pillock (Don't be such a pillock!)
Git (You selfish git)
Scrubber (He's a right scrubber that one!)
Prat (Don't be such a prat)
F-Ugly (My word... you are; you are F-ugly!)

Last edited:

Dalton Sayre

Towns Guard
Xy$
I feel that you should use the language that is natural to the character, coarse language and dry sarcasm offen go hand-in-hand, though it needn't be vulgar. Yosimite Sam is a prime example. The terms you listed could only be offensive to someone who is looking to take offense. If you have any doubts, you could add your own cheeky rating disclaimer "Language may not be suitable for for people who don't like clever witticisms" "You are perched upon the precipice of an epic tale. You must make yourself ready, for the path ahead is lined with barbed tongues and cutting remarks"

@>Conditional Branch:
if switch "001:Graphic Language" is on:
@>Text: I just stepped in crap!
@>else
@>text: I just stepped on something squishy! Ewww!

TheUnproPro

Boondoggle
Staff member
Resource Team
Partner
I feel like if you're going to use profanity, then make sure its specific to the character(s) attitude. For example, a punk-like character might use "ass" or "shit" a bit more often than someone who's a bit more mentally developed. Someone smart like a scientist may only use words like "Damn" for example, as "shit" is a bit of a 'rough' and 'nasty' word. Anything strong af, like say "f*ck" for example shouldn't really be said in RPGs imo, it doesn't really make the game feel more 'adult' as much as it adds a bit of cringe to it, just feels a little too try-hard.

I guess just avoid the F-word lol

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I'm fine with cursing as long as it isn't overly derogatory, and it fits the mood of the game. A timely "Well, f**k." will make me laugh every time, but it gets old fast when characters are dropping bombs every other sentence.

I don't see anything wrong with the list of examples you have up top, although F-Ugly is a bit odd. I've only seen it written as fugly though, haha.

Dalton Sayre

Towns Guard
Xy$
I am a Steam Curator. Any game, that any ask me to review, even with a free copy, that has profanity, in it, instantly gets a poor review. I find them to personally be intellectually non-stimulating.
That's an important point to consider. I've only ever made games for myself, as my Glee in setting random death events for unwary players would surely win me no friends. I am now working on the first game that I will be sharing with my peers, I'll be keeping the threshold at "wink & nod" level. Clever outshines crass every time.

Azdak

Villager
Xy$
I am a Steam Curator. Any game, that any ask me to review, even with a free copy, that has profanity, in it, instantly gets a poor review. I find them to personally be intellectually non-stimulating.
So it could be a master peace of a game but you would review it low because it has bad words in it regardless of the context?
That is very interesting viewpoint to hear and is worth noting, thank you.

Are there any words listed above that you would consider profanity in your opinion?

loki2020

Villager
Xy$
Your writing for your characters as well as your audience. If you have some punk ass kid as a character or an angry cook then foul language might be very natural and if your audience is mainly teen or adult than It could be cool. The problem is that most of the time profanity is overused by poor writers trying to make an impact.

Dalton Sayre

Towns Guard
Xy$
Your writing for your characters as well as your audience. If you have some punk ass kid as a character or an angry cook then foul language might be very natural and if your audience is mainly teen or adult than It could be cool. The problem is that most of the time profanity is overused by poor writers trying to make an impact.
Agreed, a gun runner, alley punk, dock hand etc is not going to be believable if they say "Oh fish sticks, my day has been a real humdinger." Alternately, profanity for the sake of profanity will not make meaningful content. I used a switch on one of the games I made because I wanted my kids to play it, but I also wanted my friends to enjoy the game. I used a conditional branch

@>Conditional Branch:
@>else
@>text: I just stepped in something squishy!
The switch was set up at the beginning and the default was set to off, made it so much easier to write those few hot headed, potty mouthed, entitled nobles & scoundrels. I also made a game with the title Xero Fux Givn in which there was no profanity at all.

Azdak

Villager
Xy$
Agreed, a gun runner, alley punk, dock hand etc is not going to be believable if they say "Oh fish sticks, my day has been a real humdinger." Alternately, profanity for the sake of profanity will not make meaningful content. I used a switch on one of the games I made because I wanted my kids to play it, but I also wanted my friends to enjoy the game. I used a conditional branch

@>Conditional Branch:
@>else
@>text: I just stepped in something squishy!
The switch was set up at the beginning and the default was set to off, made it so much easier to write those few hot headed, potty mouthed, entitled nobles & scoundrels. I also made a game with the title Xero Fux Givn in which there was no profanity at all.
That is something I could do, thanks, that's a good tip; I remember something like that at the start of Brutal Legend on PS3.
Although I can not help but think every kid clicked the bad language version :)
(Bit like when kids turn on blood with Mortal Kombat on Snes)

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
It needs to be part of good writing. Too many people use profanity thinking it's a cheap technique for adding impact to dialogue (I argue that character animations would be better for adding impact to dialogue), but that kind of usage is rather juvenile. It's usually accompanied with length elongations such as dialogue written as: "Shiiiiiiiit!!!!" rather than just "Shit!".

Using something like "!@$%&*" might be better than using actual profanity as it leaves the job of filling in the profanity to the player, who will have their own ideas of the character's mannerisms (using a specific piece of profanity might betray the player's personal ideas).

If a character is animated to drop to their knees and punch the ground, with sound effects, and the animation ends with their head dropped low then I would be comfortable with a speech balloon popping out of them with just "Shit..." - all the emotion has been portrayed and the player has been given good justification (and in someways, forewarning) for the profanity.
Compare this to a dialogue of: "I couldn't save them...Shit..." and you can see there isn't enough emotion there, so the writer might be tempted to cheat this with lazy, bad writing by adding more profanity thinking that adds emotion with something like: "I couldn't save them...Shit, shit shit shit...".

Using softer language, such as bloody/sod/git/bugger, may be better - but it still deserves good writing. Unfortunately these examples come with come colloquial/cultural connotations so if I were to read these words in dialogue I'd imagine the character being of British culture and I'd expect all their dialogue to follow the correct expectations for that. If they start talking about side-walks, trash and having a sore fanny then I'd feel like my expectations of this character have been betrayed due to awful/lazy writing. Might be safer to avoid profanity that has connotations of other cultures that you might not be confident to write for.

The amount of RPG Maker games I've dialogue-mashed through only to spot the odd "fuck" is crazy. The culprits usually seem to be themed around modern teen-drama, so it's clear that the writer has the assumption that because teens swear quite regularly and casually (like, who doesn't) that it translates well to text dialogue and helps fill in the gap of "these are teenagers" - it doesn't as we, as players, are not absorbed in the moment like a teen would be and game dialogue is very much nothing like actual people talking.

Basically swearing is juvenile, don't do it if you're not a good writer - 99% of RPG Maker developers are not good writers and I am yet to find an MV game that I can say - with confidence - has good dialogue writing. So don't make things hard for yourself by using profanity.

Azdak

Villager
Xy$
It needs to be part of good writing. Too many people use profanity thinking it's a cheap technique for adding impact to dialogue (I argue that character animations would be better for adding impact to dialogue), but that kind of usage is rather juvenile. It's usually accompanied with length elongations such as dialogue written as: "Shiiiiiiiit!!!!" rather than just "Shit!".

Using something like "!@$%&*" might be better than using actual profanity as it leaves the job of filling in the profanity to the player, who will have their own ideas of the character's mannerisms (using a specific piece of profanity might betray the player's personal ideas).

If a character is animated to drop to their knees and punch the ground, with sound effects, and the animation ends with their head dropped low then I would be comfortable with a speech balloon popping out of them with just "Shit..." - all the emotion has been portrayed and the player has been given good justification (and in someways, forewarning) for the profanity.
Compare this to a dialogue of: "I couldn't save them...Shit..." and you can see there isn't enough emotion there, so the writer might be tempted to cheat this with lazy, bad writing by adding more profanity thinking that adds emotion with something like: "I couldn't save them...Shit, shit shit shit...".

Using softer language, such as bloody/sod/git/bugger, may be better - but it still deserves good writing. Unfortunately these examples come with come colloquial/cultural connotations so if I were to read these words in dialogue I'd imagine the character being of British culture and I'd expect all their dialogue to follow the correct expectations for that. If they start talking about side-walks, trash and having a sore fanny then I'd feel like my expectations of this character have been betrayed due to awful/lazy writing. Might be safer to avoid profanity that has connotations of other cultures that you might not be confident to write for.

The amount of RPG Maker games I've dialogue-mashed through only to spot the odd "fuck" is crazy. The culprits usually seem to be themed around modern teen-drama, so it's clear that the writer has the assumption that because teens swear quite regularly and casually (like, who doesn't) that it translates well to text dialogue and helps fill in the gap of "these are teenagers" - it doesn't as we, as players, are not absorbed in the moment like a teen would be and game dialogue is very much nothing like actual people talking.

Basically swearing is juvenile, don't do it if you're not a good writer - 99% of RPG Maker developers are not good writers and I am yet to find an MV game that I can say - with confidence - has good dialogue writing. So don't make things hard for yourself by using profanity.
I am from England and I must say I was agreeing with you; nodding my head, thinking hard about what you have written (this person talks a lot of sense...)
Then I got to the bit about having a sore fanny and oh my god, I just burst out laughing! :D

I have played quite a few demos and I agree not all of them have the best of writing...
(Hopefully mine will be part of that 1% :)

Lots of interesting points to consider as I go back and fine tune things, thank you.

Thank you all for your time.