Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Inspires Your Story?

dcsant

Knight
Xy$
The classic Phantasy Star series with a soft flavor of Star Ocean.

I've always loved sci-fi mixed with old things. Travel around planets, meet cyborgs, weird races, pilot spaceships and face your foes with a simple sword.

punchybot

Towns Guard
Xy$
One of the best inspirations you can use to create your game is your own life experience. My game Reapers has some elemental of my real life. For example, I really fear death. So, I made a villain who seeks to kill death itself. (In that regard, I kind of put myself as the villain... oops)

However, you can use simpler things, or bad things, or good things in your life and literally put them in there. They don't need to be obvious, but it can help create some twist.

One of the best inspirations you can use to create your game is your own life experience.
Couldn't agree more. It can be a good "healer" to be able to draw from experience and make something from it - a game, novel or even a movie.

My game Reapers has some elemental of my real life. For example, I really fear death. So, I made a villain who seeks to kill death itself. (In that regard, I kind of put myself as the villain... oops)
I'm intrigued by this game. While I don't fear death, I think I can certainly relate. I've had three near-death experiences in my life, which I guess has shaped my perception on death and dying.

And speaking of inspiration from experience, a game I had been working on (and will finish the two other games I've been working on are done), called Paranormality, is actually based on real-life events and experiences. In fact, its main protagonist, Jack Urban, essentially IS me! A lot of the events in the game are things that happened to me when I was conducting parapsychological research and investigations. Funny how that works out sometimes.

Last edited:

CM Games

Towns Guard
Xy$
I think all of our game story was inspired from something. A book, a film, a TV show, or from an experience.

My game Raven Noah was inspired from the film's story and character concept from Van Helsing and The Underworld.

Hugh Jackman as Van Helsing has the same character concept
of my Raven Noah game character
Noah Vladiere (No-wa Vla-de-yer).

chongjasmine

Towns Guard
Xy$
I feel inspired by rpg games I had played in the past.
Which included the final fantasy series, and some chinese rpgs.
I really enjoy the storylines in these games.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
I'm inspired often by movies like V for Vendetta, Dr Chivago, Star Wars, several of disney's greats, but there's games that have also inspired my stories.

The Iji, Oddworld, and Ratchet and Clank franchises may be the most notorious. There's also Webcomics like Homestuck, Prequel, and Lackadaisy Cats. There's cartoons like Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Dexter's Lab, Jackie Chan Adventures, Invader ZIM, all kinds of childhood remnants. There's also sometimes bits of anime, final fantasy, there's so much that I draw from to create anew.

Just take for example, the magnitude of the Galaxion Empire's inspiration.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
real life situations, people I meet, my moods, games I play, things I like (dragons, stars, magic, etc), my brother and our random talks, things I desire in life, dreams I have, mythology, music, artwork

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
Biggest story inspiration has to be situations that I go through or witness that I would of wanted to go differently. I'm a big fan of "what ifs" and "alternate realities". Bioshock Infinite, Chrono Trigger, Time Cop, The Butterfly Effect, and Back to the Future are some of my biggest inspirations.

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
Are you two brothers
Psht... they're the same guy. :P

Anyway, since I've not been coming up with plots at all I really never thought about inspiration that much. From what I can gather from my ideas and conepts I wrote down it seems that the Tales series and Kingdom Hearts influenced me quite a bit. *looks at his notes* Hmm, I must've written this down when I was playing Tales of Xillia 2. This plot kinda sounds familiar. :D

Ngaboru

Villager
Xy$
I try to be very authentic, so my game is not influenced by any of these popular sources. I get inspired by astrology, and my characters are kind of embodiments of signs. Like one of the main characters in the story is the Leo itself. And its not a lion, but a strong, fierce yet noble, fiery woman. And the story is about some interference in the system of the zodiacs, or whatever, it is not complete yet.

CM Games

Towns Guard
Xy$
just to clarify things up, I'm inspired from something yet I tried to change or convert that inspiration into a new idea or add new depth to it. Not entirely copying the said inspiration. CM