Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice Acting?

pyrocmayhem

Towns Guard
Is there a program that modifies my voice to sound different for each character? And what would be the best way to do it?

Last edited:

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
MorphVox is the closest you'll get. That said it's not free and bew voice packs cost money, also it tends to just still be kind of bad, regardless.

My advice is ultimately don't do voice acting in games unless you can pay or manage for it to sound good.

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
My advice is ultimately don't do voice acting in games unless you can pay or manage for it to sound good.
I'd say so too. Either do it decently or don't do it at all. Not even the best voice actors are able to modulate their voices in a way that would make it possible to have only one voice actor play all characters in a game. And artificially changed voices don't really sound that good, trust me. If your project isn't gonna be commercial and you don't have a huge budget you shouldn't consider implementing voice acting - it's just overkill for casual, small-time non-commercial projects.

And artificially changed voices don't really sound that good, trust me.
Very true. All modulators do is essentially change the pitch (and the more "advanced" ones can do much more), but none of them can do a decent job of actually changing voices. I have quite a gruff, deep voice so it ends up being very weird indeed with higher pitched. Kinda like I've inhaled some helium!

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
A good voice actor doesn't need to modulate his voice. (Save for special effects, used only occasionally) Often times, using voice changers and modulators can greatly compromise the end quality of your voice, and if you don't use mastering and EQ properly it could sound pretty muddy.

Please be careful and best of luck in your endeavors!

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I don't use it for games at all, but Voxal is a pretty good program (it's Mac only though, so that might be an issue). Usually the best way to go about it is trying your best to do a different voice for each character, then tweaking the pitch/speed very slightly so as not to mess up your quality. (cheeky)

These guys do have some good advice about voice acting in games, but do whatever you think is best for your project! (smile)

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
From interviewing other designers in the past, good voice talent isn't something you skimp on if that's the direction you go. It adds a layer of immersion that pines for the same level of attention by the player as a good set of visuals; it breathes life into the character and adds conveyed emotion.

Opting to be your own only voice actor is your choice but I'd suggest heavily against it. Even in some Anime titles where the same VA is used between two characters, the audience if paying half attention can pick it out.

From experience in music production and DJing, you will be recognized with effect masks because of the reliance on them to change sound for you. Masks just alter the outside of a natural sound or completely destroy it. You're sounding like you want to manipulate the sound itself.

Watch how artists create the tones for dubstep and glitch, or maybe find the you tube version of the VAs being interviewed while working on God of War 3 - the voice for Kratos talks about a few of the challenges when playing different characters - and you'll see why what you're talking about isn't really what it sounds like you're after.

VA is an underrated talent. Too few people understand how challenging the field is and how much effort and control is required for success.

Boy Who Codes

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
My short advice is do not use a software to modulate or change the pitch and pan of your voice to make a new computer generated voice of the same source for your games. Because no matter how you try doing lots of voices for each character and modify them through the software, the fact still does not change that it is your voice and it comes from one source. The best way to deal with voice acting is that you have a team of male and female voice actors paid ready for the job. Don't use voices if it isn't something the developer can afford or can reach to comply. But, you can use Adobe Audition CS6 for what you want to achieve. It has a lot of modulation and pitch changes, as well as the architecture of the sound to be changed.