Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visual Novel

Manoma

Villager
Xy$
i'v not made one, but isn't that hard imo if you have skill to draw your characters you just have to use show image, move image, play animation, play video, BGM, sound effects, etc, etc, etc... you will have make a bunch of events in maps without background or with the scene background and leave your actor without charset or with it hidden. With that you already can do a simple one.

if you want to do a dating sim. you can use plugins like actor relationship and if you want advanced features like custom stats / reputation / anything that is a number you can use YEP_X_Actor variables, also there is the option to use plugins like passives skills / perks / auto states and etc to give bonus and etc for your character (Long Live the Queen is a good example of that).

the game allow you the check a lot of things before making a decision, you could assing your relationship to someone to a variable and make decisions affect that variable, then in the later ocasions, you check if the player have a good or a bad relationship with a heroine to decide what will happen.

the only thing that could be a little complicated would be creating custom menus, you may need to know javascript depending of the complexity. The maker allow you to disable the main choices of your menu and YEP actor variables already creates a custom menu for you. You can use frontal battle to select where you want to go if you want to target a place or you can just create a map with the world tileset and you can modify your variables with choices in events(HIME larger choices would be good for that). it all depends of how complex will be that novel, but mostly it's graphics, choice events and variables.

would help to know what you could not make

Cate

Adventurer
Xy$
Thank you so much! This helps. I would like to try making one, but I am definitely someone who would write one and pay someone else to do the grpahics/music. My husband is very good at javascript so he might be able to help me in that. The variables are the things I am most worried about. I love Long Live the Queen so playing that again might give me more ideas.

What do you mean by frontal battle to select where you want to go?

Again, THANK YOU.

Manoma

Villager
Xy$
Thank you so much! This helps. I would like to try making one, but I am definitely someone who would write one and pay someone else to do the grpahics/music. My husband is very good at javascript so he might be able to help me in that. The variables are the things I am most worried about. I love Long Live the Queen so playing that again might give me more ideas.

What do you mean by frontal battle to select where you want to go?

Again, THANK YOU.
this may be a bit complex, but here we go:

for example, there are visual novels that you can explore the world a little, lets say someone invited you to a place for a date, but is your best friend's birthday and you have a good chance to get a job of you go to another place, all of that at the same time. So, instead of doing a boring choice menu with just text, you start a "battle" instead. The maker gives you the option to do frontal battles (where you can see only the enemies) or side view battles (like you are watching the battle from far), you will choose frontal battle and will create enemies with the image of where you want to go (friends building, park, company, etc..) and then you can use Moghunter plugins to show a cursor in the "enemy", take off your basic attack animation and change the dmg formula to associate the b.enemyId() to a variable, then add a common event to the attack that will teleport you for example. Probally is better to use a map with a tileset of the world (a huge minimap), but that is also a option, and if you use it i remember that there are already plugins that hide actions (not sure if you can target a "enemy" if you force a attack with a event)

Cate

Adventurer
Xy$
That is complex... But it still sounds doable. HMMMMM. I might need to get to the drawing board with my idea.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Cate , what I love about RPG Maker is that you can make so many things OTHER than RPG games. You can make digital books, birthday cards, math tutoring lessons, etc. Another awesome thing is that one does not have to know javascript. Yes, it may take longer, but almost anything you desire to make can be done with the basic MV set up. Events can do wonderful things.

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
Yeah making a visual novel is pretty easy I have done it. If you want to make exploring visual novel, just use show picture of an image of a road and have the arrows let you move around to other pictures and make random battle chances for each movement. Also can make a panarama map similar to a dungeon crawler game.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Visual novel eh? Definitely sounds interesting! I myself have always used Ren'Py or Tyranobuilder for VNs, but due to my lack of artistic ability, I could never make one lol.

I adore VNs, so if you ever make some progress on this one I'd like to see it!