Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UPDATED]Battle system MIX (RAnDrive)

Myzt

Towns Guard
So...I know this is very annoying(cuz I've posted it in some subforums here but...I want to know your guys thoughts , suggestions , etc. About this RAnDrive Charge turn battle system I made
Or about the Game battle design too ...
In a more proper way

Please do give some feedbacks too :)

And do reply if the video is not working for PC cuz I uploaded the MP4 format rather than .avi
(First time using Bandicam)

Last edited:

Myzt

Towns Guard
No one's commenting/replying/even giving good/bad thumbs...is it bad/worse? :(

Last edited:

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My internet speed is not fast enough to watch. As soon as I get a chance to watch it, I will let you know what I think of it.

Myzt

Towns Guard

Now featuring SOME enemies and "On-screen keyboard" for its sole purpose of the whole battle gameplay oh and showing overlay textimages(rightmost part) for to help the player not forget about the basic mechanic controls :D

(This is juzt a test run...the actual enemies will be more balanced)

Last edited:

Neotheny

Villager
Xy$
i'm not sure if i understand the system. is this like vagrant story, where you press the keys at the right time?

anyway, it seems too long for me. an attack that takes about 40 secs in every fight, could get boring pretty soon.

Myzt

Towns Guard
i'm not sure if i understand the system. is this like vagrant story, where you press the keys at the right time?

anyway, it seems too long for me. an attack that takes about 40 secs in every fight, could get boring pretty soon.

No it's not like vagrant story(juzt a bit of it)... It's not just about timing at first...cuz you are just gonna spam basic Drive commands (HP DMG or EN DMG to enemy) oh and 0 EN kills anyone xD and well...Luck plays a role here...some things trigger, when you are lucky/unlucky lolz/stubborn enuff to not listen to tutorial pointers
(Been thinking of removing that "Release"-" GabText cuz its so redundant" :p)
And actual normal battles will be alot faster and easier to finish x3

Its not an attack xD it's a...somekind of battle system
(Even though it replaced generic atk)

Last edited:

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
No one's commenting/replying/even giving good/bad thumbs...is it bad/worse? :(
The system depends heavily on the over mechanic of battle. If your game requires a strategic approach wherein the player preloads commands ala Argarest War, it works but honestly it's still a bit busy.

If you're going for more of a tactics style mechanic ala Disgea then it makes sense and falls squarely in that vein of mechanic for more of the RPG lean over tactics side.

For just a basic RPG battle system it will become both cumbersome and aggregate players because they'll want to rush it along and see damages to evaluate their next round of actions.

Visually its nice and care and design are apparent so that's definitely a plus, but it is overdone and may find better use in a game designed for a slower pacing than the sense given in your demo.
[doublepost=1460416690,1460415594][/doublepost]

Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve used the same battle system, where the player targeted specific parts of the enemy and accuracy and damage were affected by weapon stats over player stats. I don't recall being required to participate in QTE as part of that mechanic. It wasn't ATB or RTB either, as the moment paused to give players time to assess what was in range of their weapon at the time.

You might be thinking of Xenosaga and Tales Series games.

Though, the engine in PE and VS was a rare engine and at times, a huge pain, but fit both games well. My only complaint with Vagrant Story was that is wasn't a commercial success and it shouldve been... Sort of like Sanity's Requiem and D

Myzt

Towns Guard
The system depends heavily on the over mechanic of battle. If your game requires a strategic approach wherein the player preloads commands ala Argarest War, it works but honestly it's still a bit busy.

If you're going for more of a tactics style mechanic ala Disgea then it makes sense and falls squarely in that vein of mechanic for more of the RPG lean over tactics side.

For just a basic RPG battle system it will become both cumbersome and aggregate players because they'll want to rush it along and see damages to evaluate their next round of actions.

Visually its nice and care and design are apparent so that's definitely a plus, but it is overdone and may find better use in a game designed for a slower pacing than the sense given in your demo.
[doublepost=1460416690,1460415594][/doublepost]
Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve used the same battle system, where the player targeted specific parts of the enemy and accuracy and damage were affected by weapon stats over player stats. I don't recall being required to participate in QTE as part of that mechanic. It wasn't ATB or RTB either, as the moment paused to give players time to assess what was in range of their weapon at the time.

You might be thinking of Xenosaga and Tales Series games.

Though, the engine in PE and VS was a rare engine and at times, a huge pain, but fit both games well. My only complaint with Vagrant Story was that is wasn't a commercial success and it shouldve been... Sort of like Sanity's Requiem and D

As of I'm aware of it being slow and cumbersome at times...it'll be changed paced along the game progress giving more quicker ending battles but still little bit strategic but still action-packed (intuitively) enough for the boss/challenge battles...and also this is an old video lolz, it's a very slow gameplay compared to my updated video. Plus there's a reason why that crazy BS exists in this game x3

More or less it'll become a "button-mashing" easy killchance % normal enemies and offensive mixing at early stages :D

As of I'm really tired of...the same TB gameplay feel...Agarest is good tho
And I tend to like doing no. of combos rather than 1full DMG calculations
I know some/most people will not like this battle system...

Last edited:

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
As of I'm aware of it being slow and cumbersome at times...it'll be changed paced along the game progress giving more quicker ending battles but still abit strategic but still action-packed enough for the boss/challenge battles...and also this is an old video lolz, it's a very slow gameplay compared to my updated video

More or less it'll become a "button-mashing" easy killchance % enemies at early stages
Hm. Well, do you have a link to the updated presentation so I can give an equally updated and more refined response to your query?

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
That's one I did t see and it seems more fluid than the original.

I really don't have anything to remark about it other than it seems to fit the game you've used. I would probably reduce the top screen chacter chatter and move it to be a text update to compliment the visual cues.

It's a touch call, I guess. Having g the character say, "oops" when strikes are missed and "drive now" at the start of their Drive adds the sense of the character being aware, but at the same time it's redundant in context to the commands and the OSD. Players know what they selected and the timing.

So... Maybe instead of "opps" something like a gutteral noise to denote physcial load and shock, and instead of "drive now" have several powered attack phrases randomly cycle to keep it from getting stale?

Myzt

Towns Guard
That's one I did t see and it seems more fluid than the original.

I really don't have anything to remark about it other than it seems to fit the game you've used. I would probably reduce the top screen chacter chatter and move it to be a text update to compliment the visual cues.
But I'll still stick to Gabwindow(w/sounds) since they don't interrupt anything and for other reasons.

It's a touch call, I guess. Having g the character say, "oops" when strikes are missed and "drive now" at the start of their Drive adds the sense of the character being aware, but at the same time it's redundant in context to the commands and the OSD. Players know what they selected and the timing.
So... Maybe instead of "opps" something like a gutteral noise to denote physcial load and shock, and instead of "drive now" have several powered attack phrases randomly cycle to keep it from getting stale?
Yeah I agree..."Drive now" gets stale at some point :3
Yeah ! I like that idea xD change em to each character related to them individually.Hmm, maybe this either be a bad or better idea addup...make some flashscreen colors + sound fx when it ends(to replace "oops")?
Thanks for those feedback and suggestions :D
I'm actually wondering what OSD means though?

Last edited: