Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Unhappy Ever After' - A character driven RPG.

Elizabeth

Villager
Xy$

'In the infinitesimal spaces between the pages of every book lies an unseen universe: smaller perhaps than ours but filled with all the wonders, and horrors, conceivable by the human mind.'

The above sentence is the premise behind ‘Unhappy Ever After’ – The universe that the game inhabits pulls inspiration from classic fairy tales and literature bending and twisting the stories into something quite different from their originals.

The protagonist is Sophia, an eighteenth-century librarian's apprentice to Queen Anne of England, who is pulled through a strange portal while reading late in the Queen’s library.

There she discovers a world filled with political intrigue as a power-hungry Emperor seeks to wrestle control of the Twelve Duchies by use of his magical Affinity Guards. Without trying she gets swept up in a rebellion where her choices will help decide the fate of the strange, monster-filled world into which she’s been swept.

• Explore an open world where you decide who to help and who to leave to their own fate.
    • An open quest system with hundreds of quests to undertake.
    • Meet characters from ancient stories and rhymes such as Hansel and Gretel,or Little Red Riding Hood.
    • A unique magic system where strengthening one ability weakens another.
    • A addictive drug system, complete with dealers and quests.
    • An adult-themed RPG with political coups, terrorism, drugs, murder, and revenge.
    • Beautiful lands to explore.
    • A companion system, with reputation and conversation.
    • A day and night system where characters go to bed, move around, and visit locations at certain times.
We are a team of six, working on our studio's first game, though between us we have released five commercial games. Some people think it matters that we are a team of mostly women so I mention it here.

We are currently around 85% of the way to completing the game and hope to release sometime near Christmas.

If you like the look of 'Unhappy Ever After' and would like to support us you can upvote us on Greenlight, preorder the game through Kickstarter at a large discount, or follow us on Twitter!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Villager
Xy$
Thanks Zackleaynts. Though we love a character driven storyline we find it often ends up more like watching a movie than playing a game due to the linear nature. We're doing our best to avoid this by giving players a chance to wander freely and choose what they do from a large number of things. Hopefully that will help alleviate any boredom while still giving a strong and interesting plot!

Mysiath

the Eternal Lord in the Nothingness
Xy$
Truly, I think I have to kill you because you have given me this massive urge to pledge all my money towards this. This is pure epic. I love the maps. I love everything. And I love the pledge options even more. This is fantastic. You have my support, and I'll probably pledge some next month.

I also have a question regarding the political coups. I'pose what I'm curious about is how much of it is in the game? Same with revenge.

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$

'In the infinitesimal spaces between the pages of every book lies an unseen universe: smaller perhaps than ours but filled with all the wonders, and horrors, conceivable by the human mind.'

The above sentence is the premise behind ‘Unhappy Ever After’ – The universe that the game inhabits pulls inspiration from classic fairy tales and literature bending and twisting the stories into something quite different from their originals.

The protagonist is Sophia, an eighteenth-century librarian's apprentice to Queen Anne of England, who is pulled through a strange portal while reading late in the Queen’s library.

There she discovers a world filled with political intrigue as a power-hungry Emperor seeks to wrestle control of the Twelve Duchies by use of his magical Affinity Guards. Without trying she gets swept up in a rebellion where her choices will help decide the fate of the strange, monster-filled world into which she’s been swept.

• Explore an open world where you decide who to help and who to leave to their own fate.
    • An open quest system with hundreds of quests to undertake.
    • Meet characters from ancient stories and rhymes such as Hansel and Gretel,or Little Red Riding Hood.
    • A unique magic system where strengthening one ability weakens another.
    • A addictive drug system, complete with dealers and quests.
    • An adult-themed RPG with political coups, terrorism, drugs, murder, and revenge.
    • Beautiful lands to explore.
    • A companion system, with reputation and conversation.
    • A day and night system where characters go to bed, move around, and visit locations at certain times.
We are a team of six, working on our studio's first game, though between us we have released five commercial games. Some people think it matters that we are a team of mostly women so I mention it here.

We are currently around 85% of the way to completing the game and hope to release sometime near Christmas.

If you like the look of 'Unhappy Ever After' and would like to support us you can upvote us on Greenlight, preorder the game through Kickstarter at a large discount, or follow us on Twitter!

Thanks for reading!

Oh my gosh! This looks really awesome!
The maps looks good, premise looks good the system and journal looks good,
menu looks good, sprites looks good, writing looks good,mechanics looks good.
This looks awesome!

Elizabeth

Villager
Xy$
Truly, I think I have to kill you because you have given me this massive urge to pledge all my money towards this. This is pure epic. I love the maps. I love everything. And I love the pledge options even more. This is fantastic. You have my support, and I'll probably pledge some next month.

I also have a question regarding the political coups. I'pose what I'm curious about is how much of it is in the game? Same with revenge.
Hi Cnal - Thanks! :)

It's great to have such positive feedback. As for the political coup it's a theme that runs through the entire game. Slight spoilers ahead...
You begin the game in Driftburgh, a town in the southern most part of the land, and that has only very recently fallen under the sway of the Empire and the Affinity Guards. Here you spend a good amount of time, helping out the town and learning about both the empire and the Tattered Flag, a terrorist group working to fight back. Learning about the world can be done in great detail if you choose to speak to people and hold conversations with your companions. At various places in the game you are given the choice to choose between the two factions.

As for revenge there are several persistant companions who are seeking revenge for one thing or another right throughout the story, but as the protagonist it's up to you how much revenge you put into the plot :)

Oh my gosh! This looks really awesome!
The maps looks good, premise looks good the system and journal looks good,
menu looks good, sprites looks good, writing looks good,mechanics looks good.
This looks awesome!
Hey Akamizu,

Yay thank you! Hearing feedback like that makes us want to work even harder at making this game everything we hope it will be! Thanks again!
[doublepost=1474357617,1474302521][/doublepost]We've just added our first Lore update to our Kickstarter page - Lore Update 1 - Drugs in 'Unhappy Ever After' where you can learn about the two main drugs, what they are used for and how they came about!