Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips about dungeons...

dcsant

Knight
Xy$
Do you have any tips about designing dungeons?

If you are making a dungeon, what kind of perspective will you choose: Those classic dungeons where all you need to do is going from point A to Z (find the "exit" ~as in old Phantasy Star style), or those where you need to push a lot of switches and solve puzzles to keep opening your path?

Also, what's your recommendation for mapping dungeons? Put a lot of details or just focus in the complexity of the labyrinth? Make a huge map or divide it with small fragments?

I have a lot of A to B dungeons, but it's too far in dev to change them all now. Ideally, dungeons should be an interactive experience through either avoiding monsters, performing puzzles, finding secret areas and/or evading traps etc.

I focus on putting a lot of details personally, but you can do the layout however you like. Oblivion has some good dungeons, using quite a few of the same assets over again in different ways. (Before you ask; Skyrim's are boring with very similar layouts)

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
I believe each dungeon should have its own theme and sets. Puzzle, things that can test what you have, maze etc. But gosh it's hard to be that creative. ^^"

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
Basic cave or ruin dungeons that are basically just a set of corridors and hallways leading to non-sensically placed rooms and stairways....it just ain't my thing. It aggravates me to see that kind of simplicity in most advanced JRPGs these days (*cough*TALESOFZESTIRIA*cough*), so I'm a groupie of puzzle-based dungeons. Especially ones that aren't laid out stupidly. Ever be travelling through ancient ruins of a city and go, "Geez, who was the moron who designed these ruins? There's literally three dead-end hallways with no doors over there!"

Mixing character interaction with puzzles is the best, IMHO. Like the original Wild Arms games, each character had a set of Tools they could use on different things in the dungeons, and they were unique to the characters (like a grappling hook).

I'll readily admit I'm no expert, however like most other components of a game, I believe it takes some serious planning. Plot your general course (are you going up or down levels, in a particular direction, up a mountain..?), parse up your areas by accessibility or by puzzle (if interactive), make some general connecting doors/stairs/holes to link each piece together, and then fill in the ground and walls, followed by the details! That's my current approach.

Also, I would say that I lean more toward interactive dungeons. While I'm not clever enough for a Legend of Zelda-style puzzle-laden dungeon, I have some tricks that make it at least more engaging than an old-time FF monster-grinder. Keeps the player from dressing dungeons too much. >:3

PandaMaru

Local Hero
Xy$
The dungeon generator can be activated if you rightclick in the maptree in the lower left place of the editor, like when you make a new map.
Help (F1) > How to Use Aid Tools > Dungeon Generator

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
Well, in Baldur's Gate Investigations, there would be a bit of both. One of them (Undercellar) would be a transition-based dungeon, while the others would be a combination of find-the-endpoint and puzzle.

cav_dan

Towns Guard
Two tips I can think of that will make players less troubled by your dungeon design.
1. Never put a dead end that makes the player lose a lot of time back tracking, especially with random encounters.
2. A closed door that needs a key is not a puzzle. You can make exploration fun with good writing (giving a story to the place you're visiting) and rewards (that cool sword that shoots lasers). If you need the barrier, there should be a puzzle to get the key, and you should try to make it obvious to the player why he is trying to solve it.

A pessimal preference regarding puzzles: don't make me write stuff down. There's plenty of resources in computers that make it possible to have the information available anytime. Writing down a number for a door is an old trick that only tests my memory or frustrates me because I didn't think to write it down.