Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why RTP was removed

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Tkool website was updated with a description of how the RTP will work
https://tkool.jp/mv/new_function/index.html (bottom of page)

RTPの煩わしさから解放された『RPGツクールMV』
前作までは、ゲームを制作する時や、そのゲームをプレイする時に、あらかじめRTP(ランタイムパッケージ)をインストールしておく必要がありました。この目的は主にゲームのダウンロード容量を小さくすることでしたが、ブロードバンドの普及によって従来ほど容量を気にする必要がなくなってきたことなどから『RPGツクールMV』ではこの仕様を廃止。新規でゲームを制作する時に、ゲームフォルダに全ての素材ファイルをコピーするようになりました。
Running it through google translate

It has been released from the burden of RTP "RPG Maker MV"
Previous work far, and when you want to produce a game, when you play that game, there was a need to be installed in advance RTP (the runtime package). The purpose is mainly did it to reduce the download capacity of the game, it abolished this specification in the "RPG Maker MV" from such that it has been no longer need to worry about the capacity as conventional by the spread of broadband. When you produce a game in the new, and now copy all of the material file in the game folder.
I can understand that the purpose of having a separate RTP was to reduce download size, but it seems like the RM devs didn't consider this to be an issue anymore due to the spread of high-speed internet.

Granted, it might not be an accurate translation.

Maebius

Knight
Xy$
I'm curious if... (this is wild uneducated guessing), that perhaps "publishing" your game will only package the resources used in that Project? Guessing not, per the comments about broadband (which I disagree, with, knowing plenty who still have Dialup).

I foolishly thought that was what happened in Ace, then realized quickly "oh yeah, need the ENTIRE RTP, even if I only used one tile set for all 3 maps, and 10 different battlers in a little demo.. /smh".

Would be neat if this were the case, though.

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Im not quite sure what this message is trying to say. Anyone want to clarify for me?
I can understand that the purpose of having a separate RTP was to reduce download size, but it seems like the RM devs didn't consider this to be an issue anymore due to the spread of high-speed internet.

Granted, it might not be an accurate translation.
If Tsukihime is right, it means that for now, more people than before have a better Internet speed. Therefore, we no longer need to download them separatly as we used to in VX Ace and its predecessors. It will be a one time download, therefore, a high file size.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
It will be a one time download, therefore, a high file size.
Oh no!! I am not too happy about a bigger filesize, eek. I know alot of people who do have high speed internet but also have a download cap. From what I heard through the MV grapevine is that the RTP is at least over 1gb :O . This I believe will cause a lot of problems, oh my. We shall see what happens I guess.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
100 MB is not a friendly addition to my already quite large games, and that's assuming this RTP will be smaller than Ace's, it's gonna be larger for sure.

If I can just add what I need from the RTP and destroy the rest, great! Otherwise... grrr.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
One of my least favorite thing (Especially in XP) was the RTP error when you didn't include it in the file and no one could play it. I don't really mind it being a larger file size. My only thing is, I might have to upgrade the site a lot, or even switch hosting if the files are too large :O

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
100 MB is not a friendly addition to my already quite large games, and that's assuming this RTP will be smaller than Ace's, it's gonna be larger for sure.

If I can just add what I need from the RTP and destroy the rest, great! Otherwise... grrr.
I think one of the beta testers mentioned when they exported an MV game, it came out to be 500+ MB or something.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I think one of the beta testers mentioned when they exported an MV game, it came out to be 500+ MB or something.
Oh my, would that be a fresh project? If so that is pretty high filesize. they should really re-consider changing the new RTP rules.

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
And websites able to host very large files mostly require the users to pay fees. Especially those with bigger size than 1 GB. Ouch!