Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That moment when

CWStudio

Villager
Xy$
I lost 16 hours of work yesterday, I spent all day working on Pixling sprite for my game, Save the file shut down to take a break, play with the dogs feed the cat watch a movie, things away from my screen. come back turn on my computer, It was all gone, nothing had saved. I did every possible recovery imaginable, the best I can guess is when I saved last night I hit cancel instead of save on accident, because saving has become so automatic I didn't read the popup just hit ok automatically instead of taking the time to read it.

Lesson is

Pay attetion

Any lessons you've learned in working?

Mysiath

the Eternal Lord in the Nothingness
Xy$
I'm not sure. I've had that save issue happened before too and it frustrated me as hell, but nothing as bad as losing 16 hours or so work.

Another issue that I have is forgetting to turn off the touch pad on my laptop off whenever I write. It's extremely sensitive or something and sometimes whenever I write and I even glide over the touch pad it then clicks wherever my cursor is pointed and that always is somewhere else in the middle of a paragraph and then I curse when I notice that I'm writing into somewhere in the middle of a paragraph. Or, having clicked outside the document and then just. It's not much of a issue, but it's frustrating slightly. Sometimes it moves to the corner and lets me peek at my desktop, sometimes I click the dangerous red X and the save pop's open.

I don't know if I've done something as extreme as yours though. I can't honestly remember anything like that. I hope I haven't, lol.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Ohhhh you pooooor D: Pixel art is so tiring and exhausting and it takes an eternity to get anything done, now its gone...
I lost pictures and sprites a few times due to such mistakes and now I save everything twice and have a backup folder

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
Yes, commiserations on your loss. Too late for this time, but if it helps... When I'm working on advancing a Project, or composing, or... well, anything at all, really, I will make successive, 'versioned' saves (Project _01, _02, _03 etc...) until it's finished. If it's anything really important, I'll even save it twice, to different disks (my stockage is USB drives, not the internal hard disk...). I learned this the hard way, as do we all, during a long career in IT. It takes little time, but quite a lot of self-discipline, which pays its dividend in exactly the circumstances you describe. 16 hours without an independent 'save'..? Not for me; once bitten, twice shy. Just sayin', hope this helps for next time (yes, there is always a 'next time'..!
)

Spent a week on creating a game in VX. It had a lot of custom scripts I'd done. Transferred it to the new computer and loaded it up. The scripts became corrupted making it unplayable. Lesson learned: backup even the scripts.

Juneberry

Global Moderator
Xy$
This brings back the nightmare that is last year's NaNoWriMo for me. I went to a "Write In" (a gathering of writers IRL because we're weirdos that do this just to sit at our computers in one room)...I'd written over a thousand words of manuscript. I opened the document after having saved it, sitting in the room...And more than half of my manuscript was gone! And this didn't just happen once. This happened /every/ time I opened the document after saving. It always ate a majority of my work...And thus I learned writing with what once was the best program ever for me to write in offline was no longer an option. Now I do all my manuscripts in Google Docs. ;-;

That said, it happened when I was a teenager too in school. I had to write a ten page short story within a day because every day I would go to work on it at school, the Mac ate my files off my data key from home -.-

Can I hug you in condolence for the time and tears you put into that? D:

Mr.Gaming

Towns Guard
Xy$
@CWStudio

That what you've written is a thing similar to the Happened to me a few months ago.

I worked on my Project, then I stopped for the day, I defragment my my hard drive because my Computer or better Laptop worked damn slow. When I wanted to work next day everything was gone except for the Standard MV games Folder. Four months and hundreds of hours were gone.

I have searched my entire four terabytes, but it was no longer there. Of course I knew it could be nowhere else.

But better once more often looking than once to less. Since the Projkt is saved in my cloud as a backup.

CWStudio

Villager
Xy$
thanks for the support guys ^^ I feel horrible you all have lost work to but I feel less stupid having lost my own knowing it's happened to so many people.

I started a few of them over yesterday then took a break, I'll finish up today and post what I have if I think about it to share what I have done :)