Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starbird's ask me anything

Starbird

Praised Adventurer
Resource Team
Xy$
I started about 3 years ago. This community is largely what keeps me motivated -- I've received an amazing amount of support from the people on this forum. It's a lot of fun, but I also feel like I owe something to the people here, since they've been so helpful to me on personal projects. Another motivating factor is seeing how good other artists are and striving to produce work that is on par with theirs. Even when I fall well short, I usually end up learning a lot along the way. Thanks for the questions :)

Starbird

Praised Adventurer
Resource Team
Xy$
This is a great question! It made me start pacing around the room as I thought about it. I have a couple different kinds of favorites, but I think they're all in the general category of tileset. That's not to say I don't enjoy working on battlebacks and battlers (lots of fun) or parallaxes (fun challenge and an oft-overlooked category of resource) but tilesets are my favorite for a couple reasons. First, people are looking for tilesets, and it's always good to be able to provide people with something they want. Second, there's a lot of flexibility in tile art and while it's hard to compare in an apples to apples sense, I feel like there's just more freedom to do... well, whatever you want, when making a tileset.

I think I can narrow it down even further. There are kinds of tiles that are especially fun to work on. Furniture can be a real pain, but it feels really good to hammer out a couch, ornate chair, cabinets, and the like. So furniture (which can range from contemporary/normal kinds of stuff all the way to crypt-beds in a vampire abode) is up there. But is that my absolute favorite thing to work on in tiles? Not quite.

So here it is, my favorite kind of tileart to work on. I'm not sure what the term is, but the general idea is bizarre kluge-objects that presumably perform some kind of arcane, weird, or transcendental function. Stuff like this:

objets.png

My attachment to this kind of thing likely comes from stories I've read as well as older video/computer game art.

Garsto

Villager
Xy$
That is amazing work! Good to know - I may have to hit you up later for resources. I've been writing a story for an RPG Maker game and it's the reason I joined this community. I like your work and there are definitely larger things and beings in my story so far. Keep doing great work you obviously have a talent for it.

Dalton Sayre

Towns Guard
Xy$
Open invitation in case anyone has a question :)
I have some very nice tree pixel images that I recovered from a damaged drive from my last pc (just retired it in February). They are individual sets (seed-sapling-semi mature-mature-fall-winter-dead tree-stump) with a large variety. I have started the process of making full tilesets of them. I would really like to use & share them, but I can't remember where I found them or who created them. I don't know if the artist gives permission to do so nor to whom credit should be given. Would you mind to take a look and see if they're familiar? If so, what would be the best way to do so? I've already got them watermarked so as to avoid violating any unknown restrictions.

Last edited:

Starbird

Praised Adventurer
Resource Team
Xy$
I have some very nice tree pixel images that I recovered from a damaged drive from my last pc (just retired it in February). They are individual sets (seed-sapling-semi mature-mature-fall-winter-dead tree-stump) with a large variety. I have started the process of making full tilesets of them. I would really like to use & share them, but I can't remember where I found them or who created them. I don't know if the artist gives permission to do so nor to whom credit should be given. Would you mind to take a look and see if they're familiar? If so, what would be the best way to do so? I've already got them watermarked so as to avoid violating any unknown restrictions.
I'm certain those aren't mine -- I have a couple tree sets, but none with varying growth stages. Thanks for checking though!

Dalton Sayre

Towns Guard
Xy$
I checked White Dragon's page & Avy's MV Page, didn't see anything similar. I may post them on Instagram with the watermark so they won't be useable. Maybe someone will recognize them & provide insight. I really want to get them into circulation on this site if it is possible.

Last edited:

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
If a car is traveling at 65mph and another car outside of the us is traveling at 99.2 kph How fast can a watermelon fall from a sky scraper in japan?

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
What does your role as a member of the resource team entail?
It's an old role. It use to be for the RMMV.co we had a team of resource developers get together every month and make resources for the community to download as a massive package.