Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Social Media Buttons Plugin

Social Media Buttons Plugin 1.7

No permission to download
Companion Wulf submitted a new resource:

Social Media Buttons Plugin - Add social media buttons to Title Screen

Name: Social Media Buttons Plugin
Version: 1.0 (Beta)
Author: Companion Wulf
Release Versions:
1.0 (Beta) - 29 October 2015

Note: This has not been updated on the RPG Maker Times blogsite yet.

DESCRIPTION
The Social Media Buttons plugin is a simple plugin to add some social media buttons to the Title Screen. Clicking on them opens a new window with their respective URLs displayed....
Read more about this resource...

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I don't see any instructions on how to use this anywhere. I've tried testing it out, but simply activating the plugin and clicking play displays a blackscreen.

I don't see any instructions on how to use this anywhere. I've tried testing it out, but simply activating the plugin and clicking play displays a blackscreen.
That's strange. I tested this on Windows, on my test website and my phone (Android) and had no problems. The plugin Help section does have usage instructions, as does its RPG Maker Times page (I may have to expand this).

Try reinstalling/updating your graphics card drivers first. But as far as I can determine (especially during the Beta tests) the website WILL display after a while, which seems to be a caching thing, even with a prefetching function I used. You can test this out on RPG Maker MV Fun and see if the same thing happens.

What other plugins do you have (enabled)?

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
@Companion Wulf
Alright, so when I went to http://pastebin.com/rpHgcQnj I clicked download, and that .js gave me the error. Instead, I right clicked RAW and clicked save link. Which gave me a .txt file I simply changed that to .js instead and it now works. The file is named rpHgcQnj.txt though, but if you get around that it works XD I'll test it out and review this later.

Note: I'm going through and testing resources, so I use absolutely nothing else, no plugins, resources, etc. when doing :) I also just installed the latest version of my graphics card last night.

Edit:

upload_2016-4-8_12-35-18.png
upload_2016-4-8_12-35-50.png

upload_2016-4-8_12-36-5.png

It only displays Twitter, and when I click on it, it opens up the login menu.

Last edited:
Aha! There you go! And I actually now discovered WHY the error occurs! Pastebin tends to rename the downloadable file to the title, so when you download it, it's NOT the registered JS file name! (>ლ) I never noticed that before because all files are local. I'll "fix" that and experiment later.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Aha! There you go! And I actually now discovered WHY the error occurs! Pastebin tends to rename the downloadable file to the title, so when you download it, it's NOT the registered JS file name! (>ლ) I never noticed that before because all files are local. I'll "fix" that and experiment later.
Alright, did you happen to read the rest? I may have updated it after you responded.

Alright, did you happen to read the rest? I may have updated it after you responded.
Try renaming the file CW_SocialMediaButtons.js in the Plugins folder then reloading it in the Plugin Manager.

And in the meantime, I'm going to rethink my distribution method. If I have time, it might be better to make some accompanying videos (I have Sundays off).

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Try renaming the file CW_SocialMediaButtons.js in the Plugins folder then reloading it in the Plugin Manager.

And in the meantime, I'm going to rethink my distribution method. If I have time, it might be better to make some accompanying videos (I have Sundays off).
Yeah! That worked :D Also, you can always upload it to our site. You can just add it to a ZIP file and install it directly here. This way you can also add your TOS and everything in a .txt file inside of the zip.

You can just add it to a ZIP file and install it directly here. This way you can also add your TOS and everything in a .txt file inside of the zip.
I'm going to start doing just that. And have direct ZIP'ed downloads from RPG Maker Times as well (depending on what the additional bandwidth will be).

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I'm going to start doing just that. And have direct ZIP'ed downloads from RPG Maker Times as well (depending on what the additional bandwidth will be).
Sounds good :) We have unlimited bandwidth, so if there is ever a problem with yours, don't hesitate to use solely ours XD :)

We have unlimited bandwidth, so if there is ever a problem with yours, don't hesitate to use solely ours XD :)
Something to consider definitely! :D For me, it's not so much the "unlimited" part, as I have unlimited already, it's cost. While I can afford the hosting, I don't want it to start rising exponentially and don't have the time (because of work and other projects) to commit to sponsorship and proper funding. It's just one of those things. I'm in the process of restructuring that part of the site anyway, so we'll see how that goes. ;)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
If you have this issue alot there is a workaround with javascript for it. The original thread is here for the detials & instructions: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47591-how-to-get-plugin-parameters-without-knowing-your-filename/

Basically you add an arbitrary string to your @plugindesc
JavaScript:
/*: * @plugindesc Social Media Buttons * <Wolf Social Media Buttons > */
Then instead of obtaining your parameters the default way you would do something like this instead.
JavaScript:
var params = $plugins.filter(function(p) { return p.description.contains('<Wolf Social Media Buttons>'); })[0].parameters;
Just an idea, no one has reported this issue with my few plugins so I don't bother with it yet but if I used something like github to share my plugins then I would probably use this option.

Also just an idea for your plugin, I never tested your updated version but is it possible to open in a browser instead of opening the page within the game itself?

This is awesome, how do you link pages from in game?
I'm actually wondering this as well. Explaining this in the OP would be quite helpful :)
Agreed. I'm in the process of rewriting this and I'll add something more comprehensive soon. Plus tomorrow I'm hoping to get a tutorial type video up for it as well (fingers crossed). Instructions for this are in the plugin's help file, although probably not as clear or as concise as it should be.

Also just an idea for your plugin, I never tested your updated version but is it possible to open in a browser instead of opening the page within the game itself?
This is something I've been meaning to work on. At the moment it relies on the standard window.open (which makes it pretty much universal, i.e. if using it in MV it'll open up a window; if using it in browsers it'll open a new tab or browser window). MV doesn't appear to have the same functionality as Javascript (shell, location.href, ActiveX, etc.), so I don't think it's possible to simply or easily open in a new (default) browser. I will look into this. EDIT: Working solution to use the links in a game window or in the default browser.

@LTN Games THANK YOU for that. I've been trying to figure something out myself. This saves the time and will be useful for the future! For the record, I will no longer be using Pastebin at all. Downloading JS files directly from there (but not with some other sites) results in a virus false positive. I'm not having any of that nonsense; there are NO viruses. It just misidentifies it as one because it's the "raw" code.

You can just add it to a ZIP file and install it directly here. This way you can also add your TOS and everything in a .txt file inside of the zip.
I've decided, however, to start doing what @Xyphien suggested, both here, on RPG Maker Times and on Dropbox. (Tried Github and just can't deal with it.)

Last edited:
Companion Wulf updated Social Media Buttons/In-Game Website Plugin with a new update entry:

New Download Link

This link goes directly to the ZIP file containing the plugin and Terms of Use file. Right-click on the link and download. Extract the CW_SocialMediaButtons.js file directly into your projects "js" folder.

Don't forget to activate it in the Plugin Manager (as I sometimes do) and tweak the settings to your preference. The Help section provides all of the information you'll need to get this plugin running.
Read the rest of this update entry...

Companion Wulf updated Social Media Buttons/In-Game Website Plugin with a new update entry:

Open Links In Browser or Game Window

Added browser support. You can now choose (in the Plugin Manager options) whether to open links in a browser or game window.
[doublepost=1461292866,1460287989][/doublepost]In another topic, @Troctzul had some problems with this plugin, so I thought it would be more appropriate answering it here instead. :)

I'm using it like this:
showurl <https://twitter.com/Troctzul>

From the events:
There are NO extra punctuation marks. It's showurl then the website address.

I can see where the confusion came from. Looking at the help file I was temporarily confused. I'll change it with the new update.

More Twitter Options (Screen Name, User ID or Follow)

Added more Twitter options: Screen Name and User ID. These will go to the corresponding Twitter account.

I also added a Follow option for Twitter, enabling players to follow your Twitter account directly from within RMMV.

There's also no need to type the full URL for Facebook, just the page id/name.

Although the focus has mainly been on Twitter, I've been experimenting with the APIs of other social media sites, notably Facebook, but also Google+ too.