Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side view or first person veiw due to lack of resource

firecat

Villager
So one of my problems i'm having right now is lack of resource to make a side view battle scene. the characters were made in another program and i can easy edit them into a battle spreadsheet, however i don't have the battle animations on them. Editing them is possible to kinda look like they were hit, attacking, healing etc, but the main problem is that someone will find out.

Then i remember that the default is first person meaning the sprites don't need to be pixel. i do have the resource to make it first person for every character and such. It is that , well every game i played that had first person (slayers for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slayers_(video_game)

Had little fun at battles. This is good for me to add more characters (over 5) without fixing the engine side view battles. Less animation is good for not only gameplay reason but for computers that will take a lot of ram from this game.

The concern is if people will have fun in the battles, not get annoyed by it. Anyone have any insight on this or reasons?

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With a good storyline, front view can be just as entertaining as side view. Let's not forget top view, which is a type, I am currently working on. There are plugins that can make a front view enemy appear to be coming towards the character. There are other plugins that show the actors' backs in formation making them look like they are 'facing' the enemy.

In side view, I have had experience with non-animated sv_actors and sv_enemies. I have even taken away the combat animations for physical and magical attacks.

There are program out there to move individual parts to give some animations to side views. I use GIMP to move the limbs for some. Another trick that I do is to not have the sv_actors in the same exact point on the sc_actor sheet. This gives the appearance of moving around, without even modifying each individual pose.

Selvalanch

Villager
Xy$
Battle system is the first thing i look and i prefer side view over front view. but if the story, sound, the area design is good or some system in game is fun to play. i don't care about battle system anymore.

at least if player side have a face graphic. I'm fine with front view battle.

fiddlesticks

Villager
Xy$
You need to expand your gaming experience I do not love sides view but front view I love

Like in the games a witch's tale and the Amber throne are very good front view but the environment of this game make the effect more impressive also it has good battle mechanics you have to play them first. Like in a witch's tale on touch screen you have to draw out the symbols and it is fun. In Amber throne I think it was runes or some thing where you can combine skill for special actions and interactions with story. Both very good stories and game so love much... TT !! hate side view..