Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screenshot Critique

Tuomo L

Towns Guard
So, this is how my worldmap looks at the moment. It pans across both directions. There's actually four worlds in the game (Though technically one of them is another timeline variation of another world) and you get to explore all of them, later you'll be able to easily travel between them at your will. Many areas you'll not be able to get into until a lot later.

AmazingAvery

Towns Guard
Xy$
Well, it's been a while, so I have no idea if the feedback is useful, but still:
The map is very huge, and at the moment all areas are very "simple" mapped - sure you might add details later, but by now there is a huge chance, that if your party walks across the map, a huge part of the screen is just plain woods without any highights.
The ice area is right besides the desert and that doesn't make much sense.
What I like is the setting on all those different isles. If you make even more distace between them you can place totally different cultures there which will be total fun to explore!

My most recent Screenshot:

A screen to show off my birthday resource.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
@AmazingAvery this ship looks stunning! The entire scene looks great and has a lot of detail put into it, I love the water ripple marks behind the ship. Nothing bad to say about this I love everything about it. I can't wait untilI can see what's on the inside hehe :)

Koopa here, with new screenshots from my untitled project (I really need a come up with a rad title name!)

This is how it will look in-game. A few changes are already in mind, such as giving the characters appropriate clothing, as It's snowing and they are dressed up for the summertime! I also want to add a small playground for added detail. Because, you know... why not!

Second screenshot I have is a w.i.p of another part of town. Whereas the first screenshot is a single screen, this will be a larger map which will scroll across as you traverse the area.

jaye

Villager
Xy$
@MistyDay Thanks for the feedback, I actually switch fonts quite often until I find just the right one, sometimes I go through 10 fonts before I feel like it's the right one, as for the colors well my goal is to have a playful, cheerful style of game so I felt bright blues and yellows would do the trick, I guess I'll find out soon enough.
[doublepost=1460073865,1459932270][/doublepost]Here is a re-vamped mockup, it's progressing, I don't think I'm quite finished yet though.
I love the bright colors and design!

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I love the bright colors and design!
So old! It's been a few months since I've worked on that project, I've been busy with so much of everything else I keep pushing it aside. I'm glad you responded it makes me eager to put this game back on my "Thing's to work on" list.

Well, since I'm here now I might as well share a GIF from my latest game(not made in RPG Maker). All pixel work is done by me and I'm a total newb, also programmed the whole thing.
Phase.gif

jaye

Villager
Xy$
A picture collage of my menu design. I have done the designs and coding myself. Some things aren't done yet such as the backpack image and character images. Those images are placeholders. :)
menudesigns.png
(the save coding is moghunter's scene file and the achievements is unpropro plugin)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
@jaye Looking fantastic!! These are the colors and style I absolutely adore, I'm a sucker for bright colors and sun ray blasts (heart). Great job, are you doing the programming as well ?

jaye

Villager
Xy$
So old! It's been a few months since I've worked on that project, I've been busy with so much of everything else I keep pushing it aside. I'm glad you responded it makes me eager to put this game back on my "Thing's to work on" list.

Well, since I'm here now I might as well share a GIF from my latest game(not made in RPG Maker). All pixel work is done by me and I'm a total newb, also programmed the whole thing.
View attachment 5715
that's great work for a newb. i like it!

Jaye

I really do like your colors and how bright they are. I am similar to you in that I go through about 300 fonts for each project I work. Don't be afraid of a little black on some fonts just to give the eyes somewhere to rest easily.

I am a complete noob with RPGMaker.. I have been making games for years in Flash and am now making the transition to something usable on mobile devices. I happen to love RPGs so figured I would start with RPG Maker MV. But, it has only been a couple of weeks, so I could use some advice on my map.

I am trying to use parallax, although I have no idea how to make this work in the game yet. But, before I did that, I wanted to be sure people didn't find it too busy or too open or too... whatever.

Thanks.

Credit for fruit trees - Jodi
Credit for other trees and house - Schwarzenacht (Deviant Art)

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
Hello! I would love to receive some feedback on my first map. It is my first time putting more than 5 minutes of effort into a map and having a specific idea in my head that I am aiming for. This is meant to be a marketplace in a little town. I am not sure about the hedges around the top & sides of the marketplace...so that will likely change.

@jaye Wowwwwww! I am always a fan of bright and happy colours, and those menu's make me smile from ear to ear! It is like happy cotton candy bliss...or something! The character is really well done, is that something that you created?

@Tinkersedge That is a very beautiful map! It looks very calm and peaceful, and the variety of trees and flowers/plants looks just perfect. I like the attention to detail, with the little tree swing, vines on the cliff side, even the upper left cliff that looks like a closed off mineshaft...it all makes for a very beautiful scene!

Attachments

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello! I would love to receive some feedback on my first map. It is my first time putting more than 5 minutes of effort into a map and having a specific idea in my head that I am aiming for. This is meant to be a marketplace in a little town. I am not sure about the hedges around the top & sides of the marketplace...so that will likely change.
I agree with you about modifying the tents. Most other things have shadows, but the tents do not.

Tuomo L

Towns Guard
@Lark Monster

I think your roads are too wide, 3 is a bit much a lot of the map is taken by the wide roads.

This is not a screenshot but I've seen other people share their titles so here's my game's title screen, with particle effects and pulsing magical circles. Game's been long time in making and soon ready for Kickstarter, I'm very excited!

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
@Lark Monster

I think your roads are too wide, 3 is a bit much a lot of the map is taken by the wide roads.
Thank you! I had a lot of NPC's around so that made the road look less...big. But I suppose it still is pretty wide in the grand scheme of things!

I like how unique the title font looks on yours! Though a few of the letters seem like they could be a bit bigger/wider to be read easier.