Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tileset Scots Pine Project

Pine Needles Should be Remade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
So recently I started a new tree project based on the Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). First time I ever have drew such tree. So I started with just a branch, which follow:

So the idea is to create a custom tree with these three variations: Leafless, Leaves, Snowy and Ice Crystals.
I'm here asking for opinions about the this development, specially if the pine needles are fine (I kinda didn't liked the way it is). Also this will be a RMMV Project, which will be published here, for free.

Azdak

Villager
Xy$
I understand why you want other people to have a look at it... You only have one eye! :D
They look great to me mate!

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
I understand why you want other people to have a look at it... You only have one eye! :D
They look great to me mate!
Oh hoho ho I solved the eye issue by becoming a vampire. Anyway thanks.
[doublepost=1548844949,1548545686][/doublepost]So I'm not happy with the crystals, and I have remade them, and changed a bit of its colors:

[doublepost=1548989676][/doublepost]
Oh hoho ho I solved the eye issue by becoming a vampire. Anyway thanks.
[doublepost=1548844949,1548545686][/doublepost]So I'm not happy with the crystals, and I have remade them, and changed a bit of its colors:

Updating the Crystal work. I changed a bit of the crystal, and here two samples:

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
A side note regarding this project. I'm devising a Patreon Page and also a selling page on Artstation. It still in development and I still need to plan a few things before launching it. I'll focus on developing Tilesets and Environment material for 2D game development, regardless of the engine. The idea is to publish free material for anyone to use, just like these trees. But if you want a plus on it, like fern bushes, snow mounds, and the fully customisable material for the tree, which include 31 smalls branches and so far 26 medium branches (all with 5 variations as shown in the tree above), I would like to sell. That's the best way I founded to publish material for free use and also get some income for more advanced users. I would like to know your opinion about this, so feel free to send me messages or to just leave a message down here. Its quite important for me to know this, as I can find the best to way to provide development materials and have a living.

To anyone who wants to check my Artstation page its here: Artstation
Its quite new, so there's not much content there.

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Currently imagining their limitless potential to be DOODADS (like in Yanfly's plugin. Could make for some AWESOME forest maps.
Thank you, but I may have an issue with the angle. You see the viewing angle is too linear; you don't feel like you are seeing it from the upper angle perspective. I'm trying to solve this, as the branch project itself is already done. I'm not used to make such perspective just yet.

Ah, I see it now that you mention it. Perhaps start by making the bottom of the foliage sort of arc, with a smaller, less noticeable one at the base of the trunk.
8281<- Kinda like this.

Last edited:
Also, you could use these for the background of the forests, like as tall trees in the distance or something. So they'd still work GREAT!
-----------------------------------------------
UPDATE ON THIS NOTE:
I put one of your tree images into my img/doodads folder to see how it would look, and here is the result:
treeexample.png

Last edited:

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Ah, I see it now that you mention it. Perhaps start by making the bottom of the foliage sort of arc, with a smaller, less noticeable one at the base of the trunk.
View attachment 8281<- Kinda like this.
The problem you see is the way the tree is made. I follow a segmented building structure which all branches are organized in individual 'layer folder' sort. Then I make a trunk and add each branch folder to positions next to the trunk. After all branches are placed, I treat each one of them by adding lighting effects. Now see this, I have 40 small branches and 50 large branches (so far), and 5 variations for each one of them (leafless, snowy leafless, green leaves, snowy leaves and crystal branches). I have 450 branches in total do play with when I'm building the tree. This concept is very troublesome to handle, but it can become really pretty. I don't know if I'll solve the perspective problem, because like I have said, its a lot of branches to adjust. I think I'll make like more 3 trunks and be done with this project.

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
This particular project is almost complete. I'm making some bracket fungus and other minor stuff. I'll freely provide at least 5 trees (with all variations) here in the forum, but the customization part will be sold. Check out this:

This is a guide showing how to assemble to tree branches. I would like to ask opinion about this, if its too complicated. Anyway thanks so much for the replies.