Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running out of Plugin Ideas

nijineko

Villager
Xy$
Your best bet would be to get quotes from the different communities. Different scripters will give you different rates. You can start with the classifieds section here.

If I were to go at it 9AM-5PM it would probably take me 5-7 days to create both servers with all the required functionality and the plugins to interface with the servers. So I would charge 8(hours)*11(rate)*6(days) = ~$500. This is just for the networking though. To interact with in-game actors using these plugins/servers would be another project entirely.
Indeed, that would be two entire projects. Hmmm, I'm new to the community, I wonder how a Kickstarter would fare as a means of accomplishing said projects.... I'll have to hunt around the forums and other related communities. Any wisdom or experienced advice is most welcome.

And thanks for the approximate quote, by the way! Very kind of you.

Essy

Towns Guard
Xy$
I wonder how a Kickstarter would fare as a means of accomplishing said projects.... I'll have to hunt around the forums and other related communities. Any wisdom or experienced advice is most welcome.
It could be viable, just make the requirements/functionality as clear and complete as possible. Consulting a programmer during this process would be very valuable to ensure that point. With that information you also need to make it attractive. Remember your target backers will most likely be other developers interested in network based projects (or scripters inexperienced with networking who would like to start working in a networking environment.) Lastly you must market it. You shouldn't have to put your own money on the line but you'll need to bring it to the attention of the community at large. Remember that for every 30-40 people interested you'll likely only get 1 backer, so reaching a wide audience is key.

And thanks for the approximate quote, by the way! Very kind of you.
No problem. If I weren't working on a commercial product I'd probably tackle it since it's on my project backlog. Because I AM using my time professionally I can't afford to give away that development time for free but I can still give consultation when I check this website.

This conversation isn't really a part of this thread so we should probably move it to pm.