Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick parallax attempt...thoughts?

Wanted to try to add a little umph to the map by loading it into PS adding 2 extra layers to cast a shadow on the map and then another to mimic lighting since after all it is a forest.. If any of you need any help with this just let me know and i ll make a guide on how to edit you map outside of the editor and reload it back into mv with out any scripts etc .. Map002.png
[doublepost=1446172386,1446168242][/doublepost]Map002.png I like this one a little more

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Looking good, I like it,. Yea the second one is looking a little rough. The first one maybe try lowering the opacity of the light bursts, they may be a little too strong but still looks good. Have fun parallaxing, it gets easier :)

Second one reminds me of old rpg graphics.
Yeah on the second one I basically just increased the sharpen filter to get a grainy old school kinda look
[doublepost=1446254725,1446254688][/doublepost]
Looking good, I like it,. Yea the second one is looking a little rough. The first one maybe try lowering the opacity of the light bursts, they may be a little too strong but still looks good. Have fun parallaxing, it gets easier :)
Ill fiddle with it some more and see what things i can come up with :)

What happens if you make the streaks of light correlate with the open bits of the map? (Hard to explain but basically keep treetops dark)
yeah i had some like streaks go across the trees at first then when applied all the layers together it looked really bad so had to go back and black out the middle layer again ...is a learning process .. i mma start laying actual tilesets this weekend and see how that goes when i get time ... daughters bday tomorrow so will prolly be busy all day and night with it being halloween also

DarcHiro

Studious Dark Lord
Xy$
If I was trying to create an overhead lighting through trees, I might use a texture brush to erase some of the dark lighting to create a leafy feel.

All in all though I love the idea! A little tweaks here and there you can come up with an idea that suits you.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I think adding a leafy look to it like @DarcHiro said would add a lot to the feel of the map, but it looks pretty good so far.

For that kind of look I'd go around the edges of the light with... probably a sponge brush in PS. Maybe a flew splotches of darkness here and there in the light areas, to look like the light is coming through the trees. (smile)

It's been a while, so I'm curious to see what it looks like now that December has rolled around. Good work!

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
The second one is too grainy for my tastes. The north end of that bridge seems to stick out one or two pixels too far from the rest of the map. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about that shadow the foresty bits cast just seems.... off... to me.