Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plot Help...

Ok so I'm working on a game and my main goal objective isnt going to be combat related. I m going for more adventure , crafting , alchemy , maybe even a little farming set in an online world where you as the player is actually a player playing a game (similar to Log Horizon) where you can have an in game life as a farmer , cook, adventurer, fighter . There will be combat (optional for now, maybe make an ending to game that includes it not 100% sure) . But for the life of me I just cant seem to actually come up with a story line that seems like a good idea to pull it all together . I just dont want the typical save someone or the world story line . So anyone feel like offering ideas or inspiration to make it all come together? All ideas used with be accredited a special thanks in credit of the project when finished and possible link and ad to your projects if I end up putting onto app market along with first access to game when playable version is ready (Currently title ideas are "The BlackSmith" or "Alchemy Online") Title ideas also welcomed

So what you're saying is that you play a person who is playing a video game? If so, what's the balance look like for being inside the fantasy world v. being in the 'real world' of the main character(s)?

yeah sorta lol. Most of the game is planned to actually be in the fantasy world prolly about 95% while the other 5% you ll log out to do some sort of side quest to actually earn in game items like you would in real life , this could be from going outside and talking to a npc who also plays the game and gives you a player name to add as a friend and randomly sends you an item or reading a book and getting a monthly game code to enter(plan to add calendar system to receive game mags in mail) it might seem a little silly (maybe even not needed ) but thought was a fun idea might be able to turn into something .. i understand it needs an end game goal or boss to be a rpg but id like that to be a side quest option and make the choice of being able to be anything you want as the main aspect of the game to give it more replay appeal .. yeah you can beat the game but still be able to continue on much like harvest moon etc

Maybe you have a friend who's been into the game for a long time and who's teaching you the details of the game, all the while letting you in some fun gossip that relates to real-world connections ("You know that popular kid in 11th grade? ... SHE has an account! She's that dumb-looking coal miner...") - ultimately, this could lead to someone from your network of friends (or just an acquaintance) being a VIP within the fantasy world... secrets secrets... my brain ran out of steam there.

I don't want to give off any SwordArt Online vibes, but that's what it makes me think of, anyway. It'd be cool if there was a real-life rival you decided to try and best within the game, who's very powerful and has tons of supporters, and your goal is to impress a love interest while trying to take down his mining empire (or something of that nature).

I like that actually I might can go off of that . and yeah Log Horizon was alot like SAO with more actual mmorpg elements .. I could def make a love interest possible along with other choice based options good and bad , maybe become a town guard, a thief , lol or even indepth class system that changes the game story depending on what class you pick

Heck yeah! If you wanted to make the main guy vengeful, but then as he works his way up sees how nice this "rival" is in-game, realizing there's a disconnect in his character which then compromises his goal of sabotaging the rival's empire (whatever that would mean in your alchemy/mining-based MMORPG)... so much you could do with that! If you ever need a brainstorming buddy, let me know - I'd be happy to threw random ideas and story elements at you. It's a fun exercise on both ends!

Last edited:

Kerux

Procrastinator
Xy$
What if in the game he's playing the npcs and such just seem a little too real?

I remember reading once about someone who wondered what happened to the game worlds all those times he reset the system or gave up on a game. What if inside there was its own reality with its own rules, and we just didn't realize it?

That leads to all sorts of interesting questions such as:
How long can I leave this game for?
Do they really need me or do I just let it go?
What happens to this world if I fail it?
Does this world in the game matter as much as our reality, or not?
etc, etc.

Anyways, just a thought. Do with it what you will! :-D

CM Games

Towns Guard
Xy$
I m going for more adventure , crafting , alchemy , maybe even a little farming set in an online world where you as the player is actually a player playing a game (similar to Log Horizon) where you can have an in game life as a farmer , cook, adventurer, fighter .
hmm seems similar to my game concept 'CM RPG'. This is just a short RPG game though set in a world where the Game Developer is the God of that world. But it is more of a hugely story kind of game. I named it CM RPG because it will be the first game project of my group. I asked the members of that group to give their own character ideas and I will just tie it all together in one game. Here is the story of the game..

"Story: A game developer (choose male or female) is currently finishing his first ever game using Rpg Maker MV. While doing the normal day of making his game, the light from his room blacked out..all he can see is the monitor of his PC turning red..then a second later a hand inside his PC grab him and the next thing..darkness....

You will be playing either a boy or a girl. You are a game developer who loves to play and make games..but what if your own created game will become your new living world? It's your game, your world, and all the characters and even monsters are your creations..in short you are a "god" immortal..who went down to your created world to be like them..mortal. The only way to return to your real world is to defeat the BOSS..the Game Engine itself. Too easy right?..as a game developer who created your own game, it's an easy job knowing that you can beat the game. The game will give you insights and tips how to beat the game world, it comes from your memories creating the game..but it's not that easy..the game world is changing as the days goes by..so does the monsters are becoming stronger. The new world is changing and your memories about the real world is starting to fade. It's up to you now how will you survive in your own created game world.."

as for the title..here are a few ideas..
-GOD WORLD
-The World in your Mind
-The Game in your Mind
-A New World
-The God of You

that's all I can think now..I'll just edit this post or post a new comment if I have some ideas in mind. CM

So, I have been reading about the current situation/standing of esports. You know, scandals akin to football (shady dealings and whatnot), competition soon rivaling real life sports, etc. Anyways, people are starting to take it seriously, and I can see it having an even huger fanbase than any real sport, seeing how anyone can participate and possibly attain the dream of going pro. So, what if your game had such a following? The in-game currency could be worth real world money, the in-game items could be worth real world money, services in the game could be worth, once again, real money. This kind of universe can lead to some pretty interesting stories, because, as we all know, people will do some CRAZY things for money.

I would suggest having a wildly successful game (for the sake of easy story telling I will call it "The Game"), which numerous people have devoted themselves to playing religiously, in hopes of making a living off of something they think is fun. In the game people are able to work on as farmers on another players farm, work as a guard (perhaps the cities are run by players and they pay these guards with money generated by the economy of the city), climbing in the arena (maybe fights are broadcast on television in the real world, with adds of course to generate revenue. Combatants might even be sponsored if they are successful enough?), etc. Perhaps "The Game" could have a nigh impossible to complete seasonal quest, which awards the group which completes a very large cash prize to split among themselves.

So, for instance if you were to make a story about a guy who is trying to make enough money for his subscription to "The Game" and to live off of, you could write a story about a player who works as a farmer, who's boss suddenly buys the neighboring farm or another player. This would be very surprising, seeing how farm owners make an extremely large amount of money, which translates to large amounts of real world money.
Then after some exposition, or whatever, your character begins to suspect that the owner of your farm might have murdered the other farm owner. Perhaps your character can investigate his suspicions when logged out of the game?

Anyways, I will stop here to avoid an even larger wall of text. However, long story short, I would definitely make the core theme of your game about greed. That kind of theme can lead to some awesome stories.