Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

partymembers gathering around your main char?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DolorIpsum

Villager
Xy$
@DolorIpsum ...

No, no, no..! MV does, indeed, use Plug-ins, but also uses Scripts..! It's true the the Script window is a bit small, though, but there are often ways of working around that.
Plug-ins are fine, but require another level of understanding of MV for creating them (or even, in many cases, for using them..!).
Ah yes my mistake there. I know that MV uses both but what Walker showed was specifically a script that needed to be added in as well as using the ruby coding language. I wasn't clear enough about the distinction as I don't fiddle around too much with the actual script part.

Hey, thanks for the detailed explanation! Okay, got it about the 20 lines part. I wish they would fix that ^^;

Okay, so, I found and installed YanFly's plugin. And, also, her script for Follower Movement Route. The thing is, I'm really confused as to how to install the script, and specifically, what YanFly meant by

Do I place the .js file into my js folder to use this Follower Movement Route script? And also, what does YanFly meant by 'create a comment with the line'? Is it the Event->Flow Control->Comment (which adds comment but does nothing under Events?)

Thanks for all the help I'm getting here. This is like my 2nd/3rd day with this program. Much <3
The follower script you're using is made for use in VX Ace, I thought for sure that there was an MV version. I'm not too sure about Yanfly since I don't know the specific one you're using but I think you're correct in needing to use the Comment task.

DolorIpsum

Villager
Xy$
@Walker's Now after thinking the idea over, I think I have a semi-possible idea for how to make what you're trying to do possible.

Have an empty event on top of where the follower will be, either making it Above Player or Through.
Once you've activated the trigger, turn a switch on. Once that switch is on, make a new page on the empty event that changes that follower's walking sprite to blank using the change actor graphic command. Also change the event's graphic to the follower's sprite on the new page. That should make them switch their visibility at the same time and have the transition appear seamless. Then just make all the movements you want using the event.
I'm not certain if this will help you with what you want to specifically achieve but I hope it at least helps give you some idea of how to go about it.

Walker's

Villager
Xy$
No wonder you're having problems with this; firstly it's from HimeWorks, not YanFly, and, secondly, it's not for MV..! Probably for VX or VX Ace, but useless for your purposes. Forget it (as will I..!)
I am now beginning to suspect if I am an idiot.

@Walker's Now after thinking the idea over, I think I have a semi-possible idea for how to make what you're trying to do possible.

Have an empty event on top of where the follower will be, either making it Above Player or Through.
Once you've activated the trigger, turn a switch on. Once that switch is on, make a new page on the empty event that changes that follower's walking sprite to blank using the change actor graphic command. Also change the event's graphic to the follower's sprite on the new page. That should make them switch their visibility at the same time and have the transition appear seamless. Then just make all the movements you want using the event.
I'm not certain if this will help you with what you want to specifically achieve but I hope it at least helps give you some idea of how to go about it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying it now and will let you know :D

If at all possible, I'm hoping for a more organic approach though, namely, being able to specifically control the movement route for followers. I'm actually surprised there isn't an option for it, to be honest. I need an organic approach because it's hard to determine where the followers will be, since they can move about in the room, so any non-organic approach will need to make it so that the Player can only travel down that one route, which is not what I'm looking for.

That said, I'll have to work within the constraints for now. Haha. I really appreciate everyone for trying to help me with this. Much love <3

DolorIpsum

Villager
Xy$
I am now beginning to suspect if I am an idiot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying it now and will let you know :D

If at all possible, I'm hoping for a more organic approach though, namely, being able to specifically control the movement route for followers. I'm actually surprised there isn't an option for it, to be honest. I need an organic approach because it's hard to determine where the followers will be, since they can move about in the room, so any non-organic approach will need to make it so that the Player can only travel down that one route, which is not what I'm looking for.

That said, I'll have to work within the constraints for now. Haha. I really appreciate everyone for trying to help me with this. Much love <3
For a way to have the event with an organic approach like you'd want, make the event like I mentioned before in any spot on the map and then I believe there's a way to check where characters are on a map, though I'm not sure if that command is for player and events only or not. If it allows for followers too, then set a variable to contain the location of where the follower is and right when the player triggers whatever you'd like, transfer the event to the set location of the follower.

I hope you're able to figure this out and good luck!

Walker's

Villager
Xy$
For a way to have the event with an organic approach like you'd want, make the event like I mentioned before in any spot on the map and then I believe there's a way to check where characters are on a map, though I'm not sure if that command is for player and events only or not. If it allows for followers too, then set a variable to contain the location of where the follower is and right when the player triggers whatever you'd like, transfer the event to the set location of the follower.

I hope you're able to figure this out and good luck1 .
It was a pretty clever trick, but I couldn't make it work. Not without an EXTREMELY high amount of tedious work, anyway. So I just made it a cut scene and have event sprites do the job for me, for now. It's much, much easier that way. I think Hime is working on a Follower Movement plugin for MV, though it has yet to be released. So, when that is out, everything will be much easier!

Thank you so, SO much for your advice and help

Soft edit by moderator to put end of quote in proper spot. :) MJ

Last edited by a moderator:

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like this support question has been figured out by @Walker's , with the assistance of a few, yet very talented others. I use blank imaged events myself that later have images coming off and on, that follow the actor. This thread is solved, and therefore closed, unless @Walker would like to see more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.