Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On RM Horror Games

HitokiriGensai

Towns Guard
Xy$
Hey everyone! These are just some thoughts that came to me while working on my own horror project. I've written this not to educate anyone, because I'm no expert, but rather to open a discussion. What is horror to you? What horror games do you like, and why?

I'm a huge fan of indie horror games, most notably ones made with RPG Maker. The program allows, or arguably, forces, the creator to distill the horror genre to its core mechanics, without the use of cinematics or realistic 3D environments. In my experience, I see there being three main mechanics in these types of games: atmosphere, puzzles, and of course, the monster(s). With these alone, you can have a horror game, and a lot of indie games have hinged on just these - Slender, SCP Containment Breach among them (first ones that come to mind). I'd almost lump Amnesia and FNAF in as well, but... there's a lot more going on in those. In games like these, it's just you, the faceless player, collecting items, solving puzzles, and avoiding the big bad. These games get a lot of attention, because they offer jumpy, terrifying experiences, and are super quick. They're not multi-chapter, exploration- and dialogue-heavy games like the triple-A horror titles.

I've recently started replaying some of my favorite RPG Maker horror games like Ib, The Witch's House, The Crooked Man, Mad Father, and Ribbon (and want to find more!). I've also watched some Let's Plays of them to get feedback. What I noticed was no matter how scared the players were, or how challenged, or confused, or pissed off, or whatever they were feeling after completing them, what they took away from the experience were the characters, and how they connected with them. Slender and other derivative games were successful for their mechanics, and Ao Oni, one of the most popular RM horror games, was the same way. However, these also got a lot of notoriety for the same reason - there was no good story, or just lacked one, and had no relatable characters. Personally, I found Ao Oni to be so silly and cheesy that I have no idea why people are scared of it, but... I digress. To each their own. That's the beauty of genre, I guess(?).

Horror, to me, is about being immersed in a creepy environment, and experiencing it from the perspective of an interesting character, while being intrigued by the other characters in the story, and slowly unraveling a mystery. I also enjoy when the puzzles aren't just collecting keys. Like seriously. Stop that.

Thanks for reading! So, like I opened with - what do you like about horror and how it translates to RPG Maker?

Last edited:

Trumully

Cyborg Kiwi
In my personal opinion, my 'Horror' is a suspenseful atmosphere, spooky environment and creepy backstory scattered across through items like 'notes' and things like that. I actually find RPG Maker Horrors surprising as I felt that it would be difficult to create a spooky atmosphere without more realistic graphics.

HitokiriGensai

Towns Guard
Xy$
In my personal opinion, my 'Horror' is a suspenseful atmosphere, spooky environment and creepy backstory scattered across through items like 'notes' and things like that. I actually find RPG Maker Horrors surprising as I felt that it would be difficult to create a spooky atmosphere without more realistic graphics.
That's a good point - horror that really gets under your skin has to be subtle, and more cerebral. Making you think about what might be around the corner is often scarier than what might actually jump out.

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Immersion is a strong key point, especially with some hidden lore to keep the player's interest to resolve a mystery in a world he/she is in while trying to remain alive, despite being plus or less defenseless ^^

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
My very first game I released was a horror game. I created it for a 1 week indie contest and I have to admit, it's all about the enviroment, and the atmosphere and those two categorys include, music, sound effects, maps and of course the story. I dont believe you really need monsters, although very helpful. I believe if you can't make the game scary without monsters then don't make one. I believe a lot of horror is the build up to an event, or the mystery of the unknown. You can check my horror game in the resource section on this site.

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
The game I'm creating now is an immersive horror, much like The Witch's House and Ib, etc. etc. I love. LOVE like a banana, immersive horrors with good stories, interesting characters and atmosphere. Jumpscares are alright, but only used sparingly, and preferably after you've intentionally made the player's guard drop.

RPG Horror genres tend to require a lot of custom artwork (like my avatar), resources and scripts that don't generally come with the RTP. And the sound effects! It makes it exciting, not knowing what you're gonna see next.

I'm no horror expert, but the best horror games are the ones that make you regret playing yet force you to continue playing at the same time. Studies have shown - and even little kids prove - that there is a thrill to being scared. What I think is key (and has been stated, so I'm just echoing) is character, though not just the character in the game. The connection a player develops determines how invested they are in the game. Making a protagonist you can relate to in an environment as real but surreal as possible makes for some interesting feelings - if I literally think that I'm the character, I'm fearing for my life whenever I know something creepy's around the corner. That's when the unpredictable factors come in, like freaky monsters, hellish landscapes, eerie puzzles, bone-chilling backstories, etc. - icing on the cake, I'd say. :P

To me, horror isn't just about the scares or the gore. It has to be immersive, yes, and have moments where the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Very few horror games actually make me jump, though with a few I've played my heart has definitely beat faster. The background score is equally as important as monsters, relatable characters, blood - lots of blood! - and other things that might contribute towards a good horror game. Having the right tension-building music can be more effective than the visuals, or even the story itself.

Horror can be a psychological thriller, the darker side of the human psyche, tackling such issues as depression, suicide, schizophrenia, etc., which almost everyone can experience in life. I recently finished The Cat Lady - HIGHLY recommended! - which is essentially about suicidal depression. While not scary as such, it was certainly intense. Since it's very well written too, complimenting the subject matter, it makes you stop to think about the scarier, darker, more horrific side of humanity as well. That's why I'd class this game as "horror" rather than just "thriller".

HitokiriGensai

Towns Guard
Xy$
I recently finished The Cat Lady - HIGHLY recommended! - which is essentially about suicidal depression. While not scary as such, it was certainly intense. Since it's very well written too, complimenting the subject matter, it makes you stop to think about the scarier, darker, more horrific side of humanity as well. That's why I'd class this game as "horror" rather than just "thriller".
Thanks for the input, and thanks for mentioning The Cat Lady - I was recommended that when it came out, but never got around to it. Sounds like my cup of tea, though! And I agree that the score is as important as the visuals and narrative. Heck, just listening to dark ambient sometimes creeps me out. This, for example - conjures up pretty vivid images, as has been really inspiring for my work as of late: https://cryochamber.bandcamp.com/album/azathoth

Thanks for mentioning The Cat Lady - I was recommended that when it came out, but never got around to it.
You definitely have to play it. Apparently there are multiple endings.

Heck, just listening to dark ambient sometimes creeps me out. This, for example - conjures up pretty vivid images, as has been really inspiring for my work as of late: https://cryochamber.bandcamp.com/album/azathoth
That gave me some chills, like cold cat's paws running up and down my spine! Haha! I agree, some of those dark ambient sounds are good. And you put them in a horror/thriller environment, it'll certainly add to that tension.

Zebestian

The Artist formerly known as Kaimen
Resource Team
When it comes to horror, I prefer the "Silent Hill" way of horror. The psychological horror. The one that goes directly under your skin rather than have cheap jump scares around every second corner. Horror doesn't always need brutality or even monsters. Blood is good when it's used in a subtle and not when it's splooging around everywhere. Like, you wake up in an unknown place. There's nobody there. You can hear some weird noises that you never heard before. Leaving the room you awoke in you can make out a blood trail leading down the hallway... That's the kind of horror I want. Not face huggers hugging my face constantly.

The Art of Gaming

Towns Guard
Xy$
Something I love in a horror game is when games turn cliches on their heads or those all of this was your fault type of stories. It has a much more lasting effect and are much easier for me to through than jumpscare games.

James Richardson

Towns Guard
Xy$
Horror: an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.

Fear is a safety mechanism within all of us. It's to protect us from dangerous situations.

Fear of the unknown: This is the story telling, mysterious people. Things that move without showing their identity. This is a huge fear for a lot of people.

Fear of losing freedom: Being locked in chains, caged in or unable to move. This removes any ability to defend oneself or run away (The two things we do when adrenaline kicks in), in turn it incites fear.

Fear of Loneliness: Being alone, this helps intensify everything. People pay more attention, the heat of every decision falls on them. And there is nobody to turn to.

Fear of Death:
This is partially due to the unknown and also because it is the end of our earthly body. In games and in life we strive to survive.

Some of my favorite techniques I see in games is what I call the "Second Look"
The first time the camera shows nothing, (in relates to our brain that this area is safe.) The second look shows something more sinister lurking. It goes against your senses so it incites fear, you haven't planned for it. What do you do?

Another one I enjoy is decisions in tough situations. This really adds to stress and induces fear of making the wrong decision. What if you went down the hallway instead of into this room full of legless zombies?

Another is separation of team members. Yeah, we can fight off everything there are 3 of us here!! Oh wait, where did bill and bobby go? Damn.. these blood thirsty vampires outnumber me now.

I'm not a serial killer, I just watch a lot of horror movies and loved the original resident evil.

Horror: an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.

Fear is a safety mechanism within all of us. It's to protect us from dangerous situations.

Fear of the unknown: This is the story telling, mysterious people. Things that move without showing their identity. This is a huge fear for a lot of people.

Fear of losing freedom: Being locked in chains, caged in or unable to move. This removes any ability to defend oneself or run away (The two things we do when adrenaline kicks in), in turn it incites fear.

Fear of Loneliness: Being alone, this helps intensify everything. People pay more attention, the heat of every decision falls on them. And there is nobody to turn to.

Fear of Death:
This is partially due to the unknown and also because it is the end of our earthly body. In games and in life we strive to survive.
This is a great list; anyone planning a horror game, reference this for some brainstorming source material. Mind if I ask if this is taken from anywhere, or is this all just observation?

I'm not a serial killer, I just watch a lot of horror movies and loved the original resident evil.
Oh, uh huh, sure...