Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member Welcoming Committee

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Look, this not anything really 'official', but what this does is help with new member retention. Imagine if you are a new member, and then you get two or three, "Welcome to our forums." The next thing you may realize is that there are over 1200 members, and only two or three said 'hi' or 'welcome'. I say lets unite and give the new members an awesome welcoming committee, where they see over 10 different members welcome them. As the forum grows, lets increase the size of the welcoming committee. United, we can do this. New members are awesome, and add to the value of the forum.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
o///oThe problem is more that not everyone writes an introduction or say hello. Most ppl make an account, get this resource and that plugin, leaves and comes again if he/she needs something else or even never come back. IK it's sad and stuff, personally i love if new members introduce themselves. People who have been here for a longer time look whenever someone new posted a hello-thread and say welcome but since you don't always look in the new posts section not everyone who comes online often really replies. Some people here are lurking but too shy to post. The number of active members is really low sadly but i hope it'll be growing the time since our community is actually pretty young yet. Idk if a real commitee would actually help... :cBut it sounds nice though o///o

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I'm all for being a part of this, I always do my best to greet new users anyways. If I'm here I will greet them for sure. Will be nice if we can get more users on board, because I know this helps a lot.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
o///oThe problem is more that not everyone writes an introduction or say hello. Most ppl make an account, get this resource and that plugin, leaves and comes again if he/she needs something else or even never come back. IK it's sad and stuff, personally i love if new members introduce themselves. People who have been here for a longer time look whenever someone new posted a hello-thread and say welcome but since you don't always look in the new posts section not everyone who comes online often really replies. Some people here are lurking but too shy to post. The number of active members is really low sadly but i hope it'll be growing the time since our community is actually pretty young yet. Idk if a real commitee would actually help... :cBut it sounds nice though o///o
That is why it would likely be unofficial. I understand what you are talking about. Looking at the number of resources that are downloaded compared to number of discussion or reviews for each resource. Thanks for you input.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Which doesn't mean I don't want to be part of the team. I'd love to welcome the new members around here and show them around our awesome forum, well, more or less. But I really didn't see many hello threads with few replies, did i?
Edit: ahh okay :) i see what you wanna do here
[doublepost=1450037766,1450034159][/doublepost]Dont mind what i just said, im making myself confused. Was watching James Bond in the cinema while writing this (god i had to turn my brain on to get what was even happening XD). I get what your goal with this all here is ;) you can count me in

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
It was certainly a lot easier to greet people when we had fewer members - it seems like less people are making introduction topics nowadays. :(

But yes, of course we should all greet new members as they join us! It's the best way to give a good impression of our community, and let everyone know that we care about seeing what they can do and learn while they're here. I don't think @MinisterJay meant we need an actual forum team of people welcoming new members (that would seem insincere, anyway), just that we should all do our best to say hi when we notice a new introduction. :)

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exactly @Amysaurus . Not an official, but a just do it. :) I have been part of organizations with official 'greeters'. They can seem so insincere at time. I have experienced, in other forums, being the person who gets a greeting only from the one active admin, and that is not a joyful experience. Getting a handful or two, can make the experience a lot better.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
I do try to welcome a few people here and there, but I usually get distracted by other stuff I have to do. ;_; I will try to welcome even more people!

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
How members a day do we get on average I wonder?

I do them on occasion, but when they give little I can't give much back.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
How members a day do we get on average I wonder?

I do them on occasion, but when they give little I can't give much back.
Yea that's a good question.

same, I don't like giving the same response every time, it gets redundant lol "hi welcome to the forum!" it's nice when i see something to relate to so I can make a more personalized post. . . but sometimes I'm just feeling lazy and just say hi.

I guess either way, it's nice to be welcomed

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
I think we worry too much, sometimes.

Any worthwhile member will make an interesting intro, if you can find no substance in an intro thread, it's quite possible the end user isn't very substantial, either.

Seriel

[Insert Member Title]
See, I like to welcome people, but after a while it just gets stale saying the same thing over and over and over.. unitl i don't feel i'm doing it sincerely anymore.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
@Jackus ik what you're talking about. Start to feel bad and writing all the same things over and over. If I don't feel well i just don't text but i make it later anyway. It just feels like being somw kind of machine doing it all the time XD but i try to put some emotions into it and to greet people. They're still people and no robots, just as a reminder. People join here everyday and only a few write introductions. It's worth it to greet them nicely (blush)

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
There's only so many times I can say "Welcome to the forum, X person!" before I feel like a machine, but I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't going to be welcomed in the community either.

It's like when I'm writing an English paper: how many times can I make the exact same statement and still sound interesting?

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's only so many times I can say "Welcome to the forum, X person!" before I feel like a machine, but I don't want anyone to feel like they aren't going to be welcomed in the community either.

It's like when I'm writing an English paper: how many times can I make the exact same statement and still sound interesting?
I look for one or two things in there introductory posting, RM Skill selected, or UserName ) that catches my eye, and then I asks questions to further explore this. What this does is help open dialogue between you and the new member. Many people love to talk about their best subject to talk about....themselves, but they are waiting for someone to expand on the dialogue.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Yup! It's much easier it properly greet someone when we know a little bit about them. :)

I always find it interesting to see which RM versions people have used, and what kind of things they specialize in.