Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some photoshop/digital drawing help/tips

Alcha Emy

Towns Guard
Xy$
Ok so here is the dizzidy deal! My creator would REALLY like to make some bust shots of all the characters in my completely awesome game but the thing is his Adobe Photoshop is kind of dated (Cs3) and while it CAN be used to made said busts the process is painstaking cause he's no good at doing that level of drawing. The best he has ever done is with that pic of me I put up a while ago, here ya go:
And while the above is pretty good it was done in Illustrator and a bit easier to work with but for some reason his Adobe Master collection won't let him download it onto his comp again. Sooo, my question for you all is: Is there a free decent digital drawing program out there he can get other then paint cause he already has that and it's ok but not great and he isn't exactly rolling in cash!
OR
Any good places for him to learn how to use photoshop better?

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
In my opinion, the best way to learn Photoshop is to have a goal in mind, and then research how to do it. Really though, I've been using Photoshop for about 7 years now, and all I can say is the best way to learn is by doing. Trying to learn from a book a bunch of random skills never helped me, I always needed a set goal.

Want to learn how to draw anime? I suggest Mark Crilley's books and videos. He's a really good guy and in my opinion, one of the best English speaking drawing tutors out there. He has MANY videos on Youtube that you could learn from.

I heard Inkscape is a good free alternative to Photoshop Illustrator.

And as always, Google is your best friend for self learning. :)

Alcha Emy

Towns Guard
Xy$
In my opinion, the best way to learn Photoshop is to have a goal in mind, and then research how to do it. Really though, I've been using Photoshop for about 7 years now, and all I can say is the best way to learn is by doing. Trying to learn from a book a bunch of random skills never helped me, I always needed a set goal.

Want to learn how to draw anime? I suggest Mark Crilley's books and videos. He's a really good guy and in my opinion, one of the best English speaking drawing tutors out there. He has MANY videos on Youtube that you could learn from.

I heard Inkscape is a good free alternative to Photoshop Illustrator.

And as always, Google is your best friend for self learning. :)
Thanks for the info!

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Moved to Art, Literature, and Music Discussion. Please post in the right section next time! :)

Besides a few features for photo editing, not much about Photoshop has changed as far as drawing goes. A lot of the problem with drawing in Photoshop is that you have to tweak the brushes a bit more to make them useable (they tend to be a bit on the blurry side).

Really, the best way to learn a program like that is to just play around in it. The more you practice and experiment with it, the better you'll get, and there are plenty of CS3 tutorials out there on the web.

Alcha Emy

Towns Guard
Xy$
Moved to Art, Literature, and Music Discussion. Please post in the right section next time! :)

Besides a few features for photo editing, not much about Photoshop has changed as far as drawing goes. A lot of the problem with drawing in Photoshop is that you have to tweak the brushes a bit more to make them useable (they tend to be a bit on the blurry side).

Really, the best way to learn a program like that is to just play around in it. The more you practice and experiment with it, the better you'll get, and there are plenty of CS3 tutorials out there on the web.
Yeah unfortunately I used Illustrator more so my photoshop lonledge is kinda poop XD

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sooo, my question for you all is: Is there a free decent digital drawing program out there he can get other then paint
Fire Alpaca and Krita are both good drawing programs.
Photoshop is good enough though. As long as it has the brush tool and an eraser, it should be enough.

But if you like Illustrator more, then you should probably look up some free vector drawing programs.