Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some ideas

Jiriki9

Towns Guard
Xy$
I'm glad you like the idea. :) Yeah, it not being a real ally but someone acting for their own good and goal is probably a more interesting direction! (thumbsup)

I have not read all the posts on this thread, so I apologize if these have all been mentioned somewhere.

1. Assassination would be the most obvious solution. However, if your character has no well known claim to their throne, then unless it is the kind of kingdom where the strongest rule (if you kill the king then you rule), then assassinating the king would have no effect. The next in the line of succession would take over.

2. Causing a coup. Being accomplished by convincing the people of the kingdom of their rulers corruption, convincing the people that your character is the rightful ruler, etc.

3. Convincing a foreign power to back your character's bid for the kingdom's throne. Maybe your character can convince said foreign power that your character is the rightful ruler and that they are doing the "just" thing. Or maybe your character can tell the foreign country that it is in their best interest to back him (your character will grant them some of the local resources of their kingdom, convince them that the current king of the kingdom in question is planning to attack, etc). While this "foreign power" is usually thought of as another kingdom, it doesn't have to be. For instance, it could be a dragon, trans-dimensional, space witch, etc. It can really be whatever you want, whatever fits best with your story.

4. Convincing the king of your character's right to be in the line of succession. Perhaps you really are their son, perhaps you poisoned the king, causing his mind to unravel, the point is that he believes you are a rightful heir and therefore, it is now law. Now all that needs to happen is for the king to meet an untimely end, allowing your character to ascend to the throne.

iblamevictoria

Towns Guard
I wonder if this is the right section, but I just want to learn a few ideas from you.
What ways can someone reclaim his throne from someone powerful? Like in FFXII, Ashe seeks out the dawn shard, at some point she also wanted power to restore her kingdom and get back her throne.
My character's main goal is to reclaim his throne. In what different ways can he accomplish it? If you have some ideas I would gladly hear it.
Well, there are any number of ways to do this. Maybe you could make your character some long lost heir to the throne (though people may think that's cliche). Heirs are usually the way to do it though. Otherwise your character won't have any right to whatever kingdom you're crafting. So to really make your game different from others that use similar plot points (and a few do) then try to change of the way that the kingdom is presented. People might enjoy interesting politics. Like factions fighting over the right to rule. Maybe your character could be the heir to a long past kingdom. It would be interesting to see a character be led to believe that they are meant to be king/queen only to find that the kingdom they have been destined to lead had been destroyed for decades. It'd be a nice twist and could be a really interesting pivot in the story from cliche to alien. Maybe have the rest of the game be about the character's blood-thirst for revenge. Or maybe it can go from there to being about building back up the old kingdom through the help of crazy magic stuff or something. Or maybe that's just the end of your game. You reclaim a throne to a kingdom that's empty. End on a sad note if you really want. I dunno man. Just go wild.