Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Map & Adding Parallax

I am a complete noob with RPGMaker.. I have been making games for years in Flash and am now making the transition to something usable on mobile devices. I happen to love RPGs so figured I would start with RPG Maker MV. But, it has only been a couple of weeks, so I could use some advice on my map.

I am trying to use parallax, although I have no idea how to make this work in the game yet. But, before I did that, I wanted to be sure people didn't find it too busy or too open or too... whatever.

There will be bunnies in the top left field, llamas in the top center, bee hives in the middle field and crops and chickens at the bottom. I followed a tutorial to do the parallax and found some tile sheets that I adored. Then I added shadows to give it more depth. Too Busy? Need highlights? I am approaching this from someone who just knows art and not RPGMaker, so any tips will be helpful.

Thanks.

Credit for fruit trees - Jodi
Credit for other trees and house - Schwarzenacht (Deviant Art)

Psycoris

Villager
Xy$
Looks pretty good. With a potential issue.

I can't tell how big it is very well. I did read though if you plan on deploying to mobile to make maps no bigger than screen size due to the memory required and to keep from having lag issues.

noxyoursox

Villager
Xy$
The stone path is bugging me a bit; it should lead the eye to where you want players to go, but it seems to be looping around all over the place and feels a bit random. Will there be other maps? If so, how will the player reach them? (I don't see an obvious "go to the next screen here" spot).

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
I am a complete noob with RPGMaker.. I have been making games for years in Flash and am now making the transition to something usable on mobile devices. I happen to love RPGs so figured I would start with RPG Maker MV. But, it has only been a couple of weeks, so I could use some advice on my map.
Here are some useful links/tutorials/demo:
http://mvplugins.com/search/parallax/page/1
https://galvs-scripts.com/2015/10/30/mv-layer-graphics/
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/kaus-ultimate-overlay-v1-11-new-added-sprite-fixes-snippet-plugin.48593/
Nice looking map. A few things blurred & stretched a little but that could even just be the picture also.

Leanne

Villager
Xy$
I've seen this map in action. It was was on Sir Drifty's First Impression~! :D The one with the addition challenge for kids. ^u^
It looks nice especially for a first parallaxed map. :o

I am trying to use parallax, although I have no idea how to make this work in the game yet. But, before I did that, I wanted to be sure people didn't find it too busy or too open or too... whatever.

There will be bunnies in the top left field, llamas in the top center, bee hives in the middle field and crops and chickens at the bottom. I followed a tutorial to do the parallax and found some tile sheets that I adored. Then I added shadows to give it more depth. Too Busy? Need highlights? I am approaching this from someone who just knows art and not RPGMaker, so any tips will be helpful.

Thanks.

Credit for fruit trees - Jodi
Credit for other trees and house - Schwarzenacht (Deviant Art)
The stone path is bugging me a bit; it should lead the eye to where you want players to go, but it seems to be looping around all over the place and feels a bit random. Will there be other maps? If so, how will the player reach them? (I don't see an obvious "go to the next screen here" spot).

No, there are not any other maps. Just this one. There are definitely some dead ends lol My next game, I will keep the map paths a bit simpler.
[doublepost=1491269045,1491268983][/doublepost]
I've seen this map in action. It was was on Sir Drifty's First Impression~! :D The one with the addition challenge for kids. ^u^
It looks nice especially for a first parallaxed map. :o
Thanks so much! Yes, I sent it to him thinking he would just give me some pointers but he did the video, which was great! Still think I prefer working on characters than maps, but I am glad it isn't too bad! :)