Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a moving car event

cake maker

Villager
Xy$
Hi all.

I'm getting used to the editor a little now, but haven't found any information on this yet. I want to make an event that uses more than one tile (four tiles for the cars in a square shape), but don't know how to set the resolution of the event graphic. I noticed in VX Ace and MV that you can make a door event, and it will display two tiles' worth (because the doors are two tiles high), but I couldn't understand how the door .PNG file differs from the other tiles.
Any help would be great!
Thanks,

Cake

cake maker

Villager
Xy$
If anyone has the same problem, I stumbled onto the solution by messing with the door graphic. I just doubled the width of the door image, and now RPGMaker MV selects 4 tiles in a square shape, which is perfect for my cars and buses. The event correctly displays 4 tiles. There's also a plugin to change the event size to whatever you like, so you could technically create a 2x2 tile event which can be triggered by touching or action button'ing any part of it. Nice!

I wonder what the limitations are for image sizes?

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For the door graphic, did you notice that the big ones had !$ in front of the image file names, and for large monster images there were $ in front of image file names?

cake maker

Villager
Xy$
For the door graphic, did you notice that the big ones had !$ in front of the image file names, and for large monster images there were $ in front of image file names?
Oh, no I didn't, but I guess that's because the door file I was using was a custom one. What do those symbols do?

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
When you have MV open on your computer you can press F1 and find quite a bit of helpful information. Here is an excerpt from the asset standards section explaining the ! & $.
Characters (img/characters)
Images shown for the characters on the map.
The size for a character image can be changed freely (normally 48x48), and consist of 4 directions (down, left, right, up) and 3 patterns for a total of 12 patterns that will be arranged in the provided order. A file for 1 character will be arranged into 2 rows and 4 columns equaling 8 images. The size of the character will be calculated using 1/12 of the width and 1/8 of the height of this file. Moreover, characters will be shown 6 pixels above tile so that they appear more natural when on top of buildings.
  • It is possible treat 1 character as 1 file by including "$" at the beginning of the file name.
  • Including a "!" at the beginning of the file name will prevent the image from being shifted 6 pixels and will no longer appear half transparent by bush elements. This is primarily used for objects found in the map such as doors and treasure chests.
  • It is also possible to use the "$" and "!" special characters together.

cake maker

Villager
Xy$
Thanks LTN, I missed that. Super helpful. It seems there are no limits to max. file size!
[doublepost=1454034607,1454034455][/doublepost]Thanks LTN, I missed that. Super helpful. It seems there are no limits to max. file size!