Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for SNES-style tileset for RPG MAKR MV

GYIYGABITE

Villager
Xy$
I like the premade tilesets they provide for you so you can start your project asap. However, for the past week, I've been experimenting on different things like character parts, testing various scripts like YANFLY's, map designing, etc.

Can anyone recommend me tilesets, character parts and monsters similar to the retro SNES style?

Additionally, apart from GIMP, what other free programs is recommended to start drawing and creating your custom tiles, characters, etc, for creating that SNES-style art for future RPG MAKER MV projects?

Thank you in advance.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
The forum feedback/support section is for forum questions/feedback only. I've moved this to MV discussion so you will have a better chance of finding what you're looking for. Good luck.

Isaac The Red

Towns Guard
I don't know of any freely available, but you can upscale the DS and DS+ packs for VXAce to work with MV, and if you have game character hub theres a DS pack for that to generate your own characters in the DS sprite style. Has a slightly more retro look. Though when scaling make sure you set things to "Nearest Neighbor" helps when upscaling so things don't get... washy and blury for no reason. it's not exactly a cheep option but does fit the SNES style your asking about. Alternately you could get the older RM2k3 and spend time with its super retro tilesets and see about converting and upscaling those for your needs. 16-bit era graphics. fraction of the cost.

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$
I like the premade tilesets they provide for you so you can start your project asap. However, for the past week, I've been experimenting on different things like character parts, testing various scripts like YANFLY's, map designing, etc.

Can anyone recommend me tilesets, character parts and monsters similar to the retro SNES style?

Additionally, apart from GIMP, what other free programs is recommended to start drawing and creating your custom tiles, characters, etc, for creating that SNES-style art for future RPG MAKER MV projects?

Thank you in advance.
I use Aseprite for drawing, honestly, the best pixel art software you can get out there in my opinion.

Isaac The Red

Towns Guard
I use Aseprite for drawing, honestly, the best pixel art software you can get out there in my opinion.
I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but I agree aesprite is pretty good stuff. feels a little over-engineered though. [messy graphical display that doesnt contribute to the usability of the program, and a version or two back caused straaange lag issues when moving windows around in the program]

GYIYGABITE

Villager
Xy$
First time I heard of it and I looked it up. This is the kind of program I might use. Thanks for the recommended program. :)
[doublepost=1471967930,1471967671][/doublepost]
I don't know of any freely available, but you can upscale the DS and DS+ packs for VXAce to work with MV, and if you have game character hub theres a DS pack for that to generate your own characters in the DS sprite style. Has a slightly more retro look. Though when scaling make sure you set things to "Nearest Neighbor" helps when up scaling so things don't get... washy and blurry for no reason. it's not exactly a cheep option but does fit the SNES style your asking about. Alternately you could get the older RM2k3 and spend time with its super retro tile sets and see about converting and upscaling those for your needs. 16-bit era graphics. fraction of the cost.
I remember having RPG Maker 2003 program, and I liked the premade tile set they have. Pretty cool. Fortunately, I have VXAce as well, and saw whan you mentioned about the DS DLC.

I saw somewhere on youtube a tutorial from echo607 how to convert tile sets from VXAce to MV. There's some options there. I'll keep digging.