Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Scripts in Event

Harmless

Towns Guard
Is there a way of entering a large quantity of code in an event, much like scripts in GameMaker? A lot of my game mechanics revolve around dialog choices and my events look like a battlefield! I'm hoping this would help make everything clearer.

Status Gear Entertainment

Praised Adventurer
Well if you go to the Page 3 in Event Commands you can see on the bottom right that there is a small section for both script and plugin command. That is for a large quantity of actual legit code.

If you want to put a lot of dialog text then you can go to Page 1 and choose Show Scrolling Text to put as much as you want. However if you do not want your text to scroll and simply want a normal chat box to have a lot of dialog, then you might need to find a plugin for it.

Trust me, your events will always look like a battlefield when you do more complex things. There are ways to shorten them up. I'll refer you to here at my guide that i'm still slowly writing.

Last edited:

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
It's better to use Common Events, rather than Scripts, which are not very good at holding lots of conditions and dialogue. The number of lines in the Script Editor is (apparently deliberately...) limited, but this can in some measure be overcome by having very long lines, with the commands separated by ';'. Not easy to edit, so I use Notepad++ for the coding, then compress into only a few long lines once finished. Far better, though, to use Common Events for 'standard' commands, dialogue etc.

Harmless

Towns Guard
I guess, that answer my question, but why make the script box deliberately small? Is it possibly to incentivize plugins?

Boy Who Codes

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
I guess, that answer my question, but why make the script box deliberately small? Is it possibly to incentivize plugins?
It is because it's not as used as it was before in VXAce. Script calls were always used in VXAce whenever they are going to do something about the installed scripts or anything that the script they are using provides. It is also an easier way to manage things that can be shortened by code rather than eventing it one by one.

MV just added the script call just in case the developer wants to do something that the events don't cover. It is not large as it was like in Ace because in MV, plugin commands are the focus and kinda the ones being used often by the plugin developers.