Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Localize game

LordFoobar

Villager
Xy$
Not sure if this question was asked before (actually, I would believe that it had, but couldn't find anything... be nice, I'm new here), but I was wondering if it was possible to make games where players could choose the game's language? Meaning, is there a plugin to add translations to the game?

LordFoobar

Villager
Xy$
Thanks!

But I do not need a live translation, and can provide it myself. After I posted this (which is not long ago, but still), I tried another search, using different keywords, and found DK_Localization. I'm trying to understand how it works, right now, as it seems to be what I need.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
Localisation in RPG Maker is something I've been thinking about for a while. In the older days of RPG Maker XP many Japanese projects actually put all their dialogue into common events (yes, all of it) and then at the end of development they'd open up the common events manager and translate all the dialogue to English then re-publish as an English release.

With MV using JSON as its data-format, my plan is to write a tool that essentially creates a database of dialogue from all the events in the game data, then converts that database back into the event data for additional languages.

Of course, this method is offline translation and requires separate installs for each language. Not the best solution, however one angle I'm going to investigate is having the translated database itself be a hot-swap for event dialogue as it is loaded in the game (via a Plugin). So the production pipeline would be; create game as normal in one language, generate translation database, translate to multiple languages, create Plugin that dynamically swaps text out for that in the translation database as it is encountered in the game.

From this, I can have the language be selected based on the player's Steam language settings and then let them change it within the game options menu too.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Why aren't projects posted on Github or other repository for easy contribution, etc.? Pastebin, seriously?
lol... I use google drive for most things such as the demo I posted above.
...occasionally github for certain projects... I guess iavra prefers pastebin for some reason... to each their own. (cool)(thumbsup)

Have you tried my small demo? Does it suit your needs?

Last edited: