Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learn Javascript Basics

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
So http://www.w3schools.com/js/ hosts some good Javascript basic tutorials to give you the gist of how to use Javascript. If anyone wanted to know, or was interested in trying to get into learning JS you should at least check this site out :) Hope this helps anyone who was interested.

Share your experience below!

Trumully

Cyborg Kiwi
Javascript, in my opinion, would be so much easier to understand and teach than Ruby used in RPG Maker VX Ace. Maybe a new scripter has dawned right here?
(Probably not because I'm more a mapper, not a scripter.)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I agree, ruby is simple I must admit but javascript is more powerful and for me easier to understand. Instead of words like end you have closing brackets } . I use to do actionscript (a little bit) and the syntax is simillar to javascript so I think I will fit right into it.

Vinyl7th

Villager
Xy$
I'm really glad they added the option for Javascript, but I still wish that they allowed C# scripting. I havn't done much with RPG Maker since ACE came out, and Ive been working in Unity a lot since then. Hopefully learning the Javascript basics wont take me too long.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
The transition to Javascript was a good one, most of my employee's are fluent if not competent in it, meaning all the little things i intend to do will be loads easier to get done for me now.

Vinyl7th

Villager
Xy$
The transition to Javascript was a good one, most of my employee's are fluent if not competent in it, meaning all the little things i intend to do will be loads easier to get done for me now.
Oh, well that's good to hear. One thing I am still nervous about is the code base for RPG Maker. I am used to integrating with all of the engine classes of Unity but I have no idea how I will approach modding the combat system for RPG Maker. Is there a decent source for documentation regarding the engine's core functionality / how to approach overwriting their systems with your own scripts?

I want to get an ahead start on learning the framework but I'm not really sure where to find stuff regarding that.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Oh, well that's good to hear. One thing I am still nervous about is the code base for RPG Maker. I am used to integrating with all of the engine classes of Unity but I have no idea how I will approach modding the combat system for RPG Maker. Is there a decent source for documentation regarding the engine's core functionality / how to approach overwriting their systems with your own scripts?

I want to get an ahead start on learning the framework but I'm not really sure where to find stuff regarding that.
Once RM MV is released you can open the software and hit F1 and there should be a nice help file with the codebase/methods/calls.etc as well as other helpful information.

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$

You can refer to RMXP, VX or Ace to get an idea of how scripting will work.
MV is basically the same thing except in Javascript.

There is an extensive set of scripts available for each engine.
Developers typically do not "overwrite" systems completely, but try to add on to it.

Vinyl7th

Villager
Xy$
You can refer to RMXP, VX or Ace to get an idea of how scripting will work.
MV is basically the same thing except in Javascript.

There is an extensive set of scripts available for each engine.
Developers typically do not "overwrite" systems completely, but try to add on to it.
Okay. Maybe overwrite wasn't the right wording.

If I wanted to create a battle system that is similar to the Fire Emblem series, where you control units and the units can engage in battles where they can attack / cast spells, would I need to override their battle system? (Or modify it, moreover) Or would it be best to instead just reference the player's stats and work with his inventory / spell list independently of the battle manager completely?

I could see both methods working, but I'm not familiar with their code architecture. When I last used RPGMaker I had zero coding knowledge at all, so I am not really sure how overboard you can go with modifications.

Trumully

Cyborg Kiwi
Code Combat is another program for learning Javascript AND Python and it is a game where you play through the game using code. It's pretty basic and other things like Code Academy would be so much better. Code Combat is just a basic one though.

Vinyl7th

Villager
Xy$
Code Combat is another program for learning Javascript AND Python and it is a game where you play through the game using code. It's pretty basic and other things like Code Academy would be so much better. Code Combat is just a basic one though.
Yeah. Im not too worried about learning js. I have a pretty healthy background in other languages now so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'm mostly just concerned about learning how to integrate into the RPGMaker engine. Like Unity, it will probably just take some time to get familiar with it.

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Okay. Maybe overwrite wasn't the right wording.

If I wanted to create a battle system that is similar to the Fire Emblem series, where you control units and the units can engage in battles where they can attack / cast spells, would I need to override their battle system? (Or modify it, moreover) Or would it be best to instead just reference the player's stats and work with his inventory / spell list independently of the battle manager completely?

I could see both methods working, but I'm not familiar with their code architecture. When I last used RPGMaker I had zero coding knowledge at all, so I am not really sure how overboard you can go with modifications.
Pretty much. The default battle system's game loop and interface are not suitable for strategy/tactics system, but a lot of the actor/enemy properties could be used. I mean, HP, MP, and skills and so on are pretty standard. You would of course need to add new properties but simply adding them to existing classes is not too big of a deal.

Note that if I wanted to for example incorporate tactics battle as a "sidegame" but have the default battle system as the main system, if you decide to overwrite everything then I may not be able to use it.

Just something to think about when you're designing your system. Other than that, you have complete freedom.

Vinyl7th

Villager
Xy$
Pretty much. The default battle system's game loop and interface are not suitable for strategy/tactics system, but a lot of the actor/enemy properties could be used. I mean, HP, MP, and skills and so on are pretty standard. You would of course need to add new properties but simply adding them to existing classes is not too big of a deal.

Note that if I wanted to for example incorporate tactics battle as a "sidegame" but have the default battle system as the main system, if you decide to overwrite everything then I may not be able to use it.

Just something to think about when you're designing your system. Other than that, you have complete freedom.
So I can actually just go into the character class and add in properties? I would have assumed that a lot of their base functionality would be in protected classes that you cant modify.

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
So I can actually just go into the character class and add in properties? I would have assumed that a lot of their base functionality would be in protected classes that you cant modify.
Everything is open-source in MV, which is one of the reasons why it is superior to previous engines' scripting systems. Previously, there were a lot of hidden classes (which weren't THAT important as you could still implement custom battle systems just as well without touching them), but now you have access to everything and more.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Everything is open-source in MV, which is one of the reasons why it is superior to previous engines' scripting systems. Previously, there were a lot of hidden classes (which weren't THAT important as you could still implement custom battle systems just as well without touching them), but now you have access to everything and more.
Wow, I never knew this at all. Now I am even more excited for MV, thanks for this little tidbit of information.

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Note that "open-source" refers to the scripting system only.
You don't get to do much with the editor itself.

However, one could...potentially build their own editor...or other such interfaces that add on to the editor...

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Note that "open-source" refers to the scripting system only.
You don't get to do much with the editor itself.

However, one could...potentially build their own editor...or other such interfaces that add on to the editor...
I was hoping for editor plugins, so we could add extra tools and quick script implementation for events etc. Though I am happy with whatever MV will bring to me