Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In battle, can I grey out a skill type unless that actor equips something to a certain equip slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddblue0

Villager
Xy$
Hey everybody, I was wondering...

In battle, is it possible to display a certain skill type (not a skill, but a skill type, like "Bow Skills") but have it greyed out unless the actor has something equipped to a certain equipment slot (i.e. quivers slot)?

For example, if a player with the skill type Bow Skills enters battle with any quiver equipped in the Quiver equipment slot, then the menu is viewable, but if they have no quiver (an empty quiver equipment slot), then Bow Skills is still visible, but it's greyed out.

Is this possible? I'm at a complete loss as to how to do this, as sealing skills seems to make them disappear rather than grey them out. I'd like players to see the greyed out skill and go, "Huh, this game has bows. Maybe I should look for one."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Hey everybody, I was wondering...

In battle, is it possible to display a certain skill type (not a skill, but a skill type, like "Bow Skills") but have it greyed out unless the actor has something equipped to a certain equipment slot (i.e. quivers slot)?

For example, if a player with the skill type Bow Skills enters battle with any quiver equipped in the Quiver equipment slot, then the menu is viewable, but if they have no quiver (an empty quiver equipment slot), then Bow Skills is still visible, but it's greyed out.

Is this possible? I'm at a complete loss as to how to do this, as sealing skills seems to make them disappear rather than grey them out. I'd like players to see the greyed out skill and go, "Huh, this game has bows. Maybe I should look for one."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tada! I've created a demo for you. (cute)
Bow Skills - Demo: Click Here to Download

I've managed to get it working, I believe this is what you need.
Note this version does not check if a bow is equipped only if a quiver is equipped to the quiver slot,
With this I could even make custom skill commands show (or be enabled) for having different weapons equipped if I wanted too.

With ActorBattleCommands Plugin by HimeWorks and a little bit of scripting knowledge this can be achieved. See demo for details.

Let me know what you think & if that will work for what you need. (cool)

ddblue0

Villager
Xy$
Your demo was amazing! Thank you so much for this response.
It did exactly what I was hoping but was unable to clearly express.
I see that you added some tags to the actor's note!

You added:

<battle command: attack />
<battle command: guard />
<battle command: skill_list />
<battle command>
name: "Bow Skills",
symbol: "skill_type",
isEnabled: "a._equips[5]._itemId > 0",
ext: 3
</battle command>

Do you think I could add another <battle command> beneath this if I wanted an actor to have 2 greyed out skills? Like:

<battle command>
</battle command>
<battle command>
name: "Crossbow Skills",
isEnabled: "a._equips[6]._itemId > 0",
ext: 4
</battle command>

Where 6 is a crossbow bolt pouch and 4 is Crossbow Skills?

Also, do you think it will play nicely with YEP Skill Core?

Thank you so much, I was worried it might not be possible and you really saved my motivation and my battle system! :)

Last edited:

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Your demo was amazing! Thank you so much for this response.
It did exactly what I was hoping but was unable to clearly express.
I see that you added some tags to the actor's note!

Thank you so much, I was worried it might not be possible and you really saved my motivation and my battle system! :)
No prob. Glad it works out nice for your needs. (glad)

Do you think I could add another <battle command> beneath this if I wanted an actor to have 2 greyed out skills? Like:

<battle command>
</battle command>
<battle command>
name: "Crossbow Skills",
isEnabled: "a._equips[6]._itemId > 0",
ext: 4
</battle command>

Where 6 is a crossbow bolt pouch and 4 is Crossbow Skills?
Yup sure can. (hella)
Also, do you think it will play nicely with YEP Skill Core?
I'm pretty sure it works nice... haven't fully tested it though. Prolly keep YEP skill core above it.

If you need anything else I'll be around. (cute)
Happy game making! (icecream)

Problem solved, thread closed. (joyful)
If you need it reopened for any reason just let me know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.