Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't believe that I'm doing this.

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
Wow Sally, I don't remember her at all. Uhh...*thinks*.....nope. Who the heck? She was in the games or just the comic?

So if you are targeted by trolls, why not just change your online identity? I do commend your bravery for sticking it out, however, I just wonder why.

I welcome and accept anyone, as long as they do me no wrong. What people do in their fan fics is their own business, in my opinion. If I don't like it, I move along. Then again, I never read fan fiction, nor write any. I still have no problem with the genre though.

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
Sally Acorn is in the comic's made by Archie. The same comapny that makes all the Archie comics. She never was in the game. Allow me to send you a pic of her:

I did adopted a 'nom be plume' which you see now. I thought about changing my online idenity, but I felt that it was only a matter of time before I got discovered from who I was and the trolls would just chase me down and make it worse for "Trying to Deprive them of Luls." I eventually just pared down my presence to a couple web sites, my blog, and Google plus, which helps put some distance between me and the places where there's Continual Flames out and about.

I apprecaite the notion about you accepting anybody that isn't out to give you crap, which is something I try to do.

Fanficts might have their problems, but I think that for some people, it would be an excellent way for them to learn how to write, and eventually hone their skill level to where they can make original stories. My suggestion, however, is to make that transition as soon as you can.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Fanficts might have their problems, but I think that for some people, it would be an excellent way for them to learn how to write, and eventually hone their skill level to where they can make original stories. My suggestion, however, is to make that transition as soon as you can.
Since we're on the topic of fan works, what do you consider a "fanfic" and what is not? I see a lot of people have different definitions, but I'm curious what you think. How much of a story must be "original" before you consider it an original work? (ie, if you take a character from a game/anime/whatever and put it into an original setting/story, is it a fan work?)

I think having a mix of original/canon stuff can be a fun way to get yourself motivated to write, though.

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
Since we're on the topic of fan works, what do you consider a "fanfic" and what is not? I see a lot of people have different definitions, but I'm curious what you think. How much of a story must be "original" before you consider it an original work? (ie, if you take a character from a game/anime/whatever and put it into an original setting/story, is it a fan work?)

I think having a mix of original/canon stuff can be a fun way to get yourself motivated to write, though.
I define a 'Fan-Work" as any work that has, at a vital part, any environmental material copyrighted by someone else, especially a popularly established work. When the work can have all of this material removed and can still be considered a whole, I would consider that an Original. (Read: A Harry Potter fic about a couple original Hogwarts students, but the only thing used is Hogwarts; you can change the wizardry school to something that doesn't come from the Harry Potter series at all and still have a coherent and whole story, you can plug in another school, publish it for money, and the only thing Warner Brothers can do about it is bitch). Notice that I refer to environment and not any schematics, theme, symbolism, or anything else involved: Harry Potter is copyrighted, someone being a wand-carrying wizard is not.

To use video games, "Baldur's Gate Investigations," because it's built in the Forgotten Realms setting in D&D, is a Fanwork. By contrast, "Freedom Planet" and "Mighty #9" might have respecful nods toward Sonic and Mega-Man, respectfully, but the world settings and storylines are 100% original, hense they are Original IPs.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
I define a 'Fan-Work" as any work that has, at a vital part, any environmental material copyrighted by someone else, especially a popularly established work. When the work can have all of this material removed and can still be considered a whole, I would consider that an Original.
This is the most brilliant answer I've seen to that question, and I wholeheartedly agree. People are too quick to dismiss something as a fanfic when it's entirely original, save for one very small element. I really like that you point out that if these things can be removed and the story stands on its own just fine, you consider it an original.

I've never met anyone else with the same view as me in that regard, so I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

Don't have any questions right now, I'll let you know if I think of something in the future!

EDIT: Thought of one. What do you think of the term "Mary Sue"?--and I use the word term lightly.

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
Why is your beard so gargantuan? I personally can't stand even a tiny amount of facial hair on my own face; I can't imagine like, a neckbeard. @_@
(Also, there is a way to shut down idiots without losing your cool. You put them in their place and make them feel stupid af. )

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
From Micro: What do you think of the term "Mary Sue"?--and I use the word term lightly.

Ah,
you met her too.

As someone who actually wrote a couple stinkbombs of a Mary Sue character, I'm obligated by court order to make an explanation why they exist: Have you ever come across someone driving a Corvette and thinking that he's overcompensating for something I won't describe in this forum? That's the person behind the creation of a Mary Sue character or story. I say that not out of denigration, however. I too had a time when I thought I was so lacking in life; zero friends, no social skills, whole body potmarked with acne...damn, my face is still acne-ridden today, sheesh...thinking that I'm some na'er do well with no hope for the future, you don't have to raise your hands to tell me that you know what I'm talking about. Some people turn to an inner world and make a story where the main character is the exact opposite of their precieved real live. Someone who has some decent talent, good looks, popular, and can actually accomplish something out of their lives. As you could sense from this point of view, the tendency for them to go too far into the other extreme, and make a Mary Sue, is frightingly sky high.

It takes some dicipline, some time with character development, and the realization that your character need not be in center stage 24-7-365, to de-Mary Sue your character.

Case in Point: I have a mouse character who's my answer to Mickey Mouse. His name's Johnny Briz. He's what you get when you combine the charm of Disney, the fluffiness of Bluth, and the attitude of Sonic the Hedgehog. He went through over two decades of development before coming up with his current, and cannonized backstory: A descendant of a bunch of lab mice who became evolved into human-like forms in both body and mind and busted themselves out of the lab they were in. (They know, and groan, over the movie "The Secret of NIMH," and so they named him after the film. It's the only connection to anything copyrighted, and it's derivative enough for it to be original.) Johnny investigated another laboratory experiment from the air vents above, discovering it to be a mere device that makes things bigger and smaller. An accident caused him to fall into the device in the 'larger' setting and turned him into a height of a Cartoon Character. He managed to excape and was eventually found by Amber Merichello, who will help achieve his dream of being a 'living Cartoon Character;' an action oriented version to what Kermit the Frog shared in the original Muppet Movie. The only Good Muppet Movie, in my humble opinion!

Not only does Johnny boast an evolved body and the form of a cartoon mouse (in spite of being flesh and blood) he is also very agile, a parkour freerunner, as well as some athletic strength and durability. Sonic the Hedgehog might blow his doors off in the 100-meter dash, but Blue Boy will never make Stage Three in Ninja Warrior. Johnny will have his own course set up in the backyard. This was caused, of course, by his genetic heritage, and he doesn't consider himself as super-powered. Maybe it's because he's a practicing Buddhist, not so full of himself outside of him going, "Yeah, I know I'm cute." But then there's his major weakness: He's about the same height as BB-8. Little People look down and call him short. He picked up other skills during his time in "The Human World" such as some perstigitation, physical and verbal comedy (his favorite being a more clean version of Jackass stunts), and some good skillz with a Yo-Yo.

I'll tell you more about him later, maybe in my web blog ( http://foxfirestudios.net ) if some of you want to chat with me there. But there's an example of someone who isn't the love child of Goku and Serena Tuskino with every superpower known to Stan Lee and is so flawless that everyone would claim that she's fake. And that the author has a Oh, you thought I was going to say it here, do ya? Ha ha ha.

Icon Croc: Why is your beard so gargantuan? I personally can't stand even a tiny amount of facial hair on my own face; I can't imagine like, a neckbeard.

What can I say? I love this beard! It's a great conversation starter. Respect the beard, folks.
I often pharaphrase Duck Dynasty: I believe that there are thee kinds of people who don't have beards: Women, Children, and those who don't know what THAC0 ("To Hit AC Zero") means. I'm none of them.

Attachments

Last edited:

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
Mary Sue is the most convoluted term I've ever heard in my life. I gave up even TRYING to understand it because everyone seems to have their own definition.

How's the art progress going?

Is the fox your favorite animal? (maybe obvious but asking anyway!)

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
Mary Sue is the most convoluted term I've ever heard in my life. I gave up even TRYING to understand it because everyone seems to have their own definition.

How's the art progress going?

Is the fox your favorite animal? (maybe obvious but asking anyway!)
Well, I gave you my own definition of mine, and an example of a character who used to be a Mary Sue. I hope I wasn't too long-winded.

My artwork is progressing slow, but steady. It helps when I have a running list of what needs drawing, and the Strikethru system of "Getting Things Done" ( http://striketh.ru ) to keep me on track. I have an Art thread here, as well as a page in DeviantART.

The fox is one of my favorites. Not the most unique, but nevertheless.

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
From your definition, I gathered that a Mary Sue is a combination of all of one's favorite things about a bunch of personalities mixed in one, so that it fits the author's ideal characterization fully and flawlessly.

Why do you like foxes? The appearance or something more? (Personally I like foxes as well, because I think they are cute, and are master survivalists.)

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
From your definition, I gathered that a Mary Sue is a combination of all of one's favorite things about a bunch of personalities mixed in one, so that it fits the author's ideal characterization fully and flawlessly.
The key point here is 'fully and flawlessly,' as in, no flaws, perfect beyond a fault, always at center stage, everythings about him or her and so on. This is where the overcompensation comes from the writer and the writer's shortcomings in his or her personal life. The writer feels incompetent and can't do a thing right so the Mary Sue can do everything perfectly. The writer feels ugly and unattractive so the Mary Sue is so handsome or beautiful that the character can attract light. The writer feels like he's cast out of the human race, so the Mary Sue singlehandedly saves it. It's not as much a combination but what you do with said combination.

Why do you like foxes? The appearance or something more? (Personally I like foxes as well, because I think they are cute, and are master survivalists.)
Appearance and cleverness. The ability to imploy cunning and inventiveness, as well as have different options to do any task or plans. If brute force doesn't work, what about misdirection or even trickery to get past something or someone.

Also, they look awesome in anthro form, especially the females.