Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make a Lantern effect

Nehoran

Villager
Xy$
I saw on a video on youtube I believe on a pc with light coming from them as is using a lantern/illumination spell.

I wanted to know how to make this in a step by step method if possible?
also, I was trying to animate a fireplace using self switches that change through the fires for the fireplace to animate it, but I cant seem to do that well ither, if any can help that would be very great, I'm sure it will aslo help me to understand how to do other like switch events and if/than things in the future.

Also, being new, I don't know if I broke protocol asking here? but it is in the Tutorial area, so I'm trying!

Nehoran

Villager
Xy$
I haven't seen them much (as I am virtualy new to the community I guess) and don't think that I will use it much either, unless in super dark underground maps I use a light spell or consumable object like lantern oil/torch, which will be rare.

also how can I get that effect to follow the character, I tried what a video said and made variables to link to characters x and y coords on map but it said I needed an image linked to it, I kinda failed there too, as I had no single light picture to use to follow and even when I accidently had a solid white square over the right place....it dint track....progress is slow, but coming!

does the plugin fix that simply?
Edit: frustration...virus software seems to think it be unsafe. cant disable, as not just my computer...

Last edited:

Jazeeri

Villager
Xy$
Nehoran, what you were trying to do you needed to link a picture to the xy (show picture) which is basically dark translucent the correct size with a 'hole' in the middle of it with the hole image being fairly clear, that's how that way works but just using the terrax lighting system will do that for you as well. If you follow the plugin directions for making a sample and then pulling the sample apart to see how it functions, will give you all the details you will need. This link is safe if you use a mac you can go to your system pref, go to security and turn it off to download then once installed you can turn it back on. Apple doesn't like you down load files that are not on their server.
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49339-terrax-lighting-system/ (lighting)

@MistyDay Wow that plugin is nice. Trying to do custom light in my project and simply over laying an image seems tedious and long winded. I know you were helping someone else but you also just helped me so thanks!

Nehoran

Villager
Xy$
I'm sure its not a problem, but the plugin works with pc and mac versions because its still javascript that's plugd in right?

ither way, I did attempt to download it again with equal failure.
is there another route to get the plugin that you are aware of?

Nehoran

Villager
Xy$
I finaly was able to get the download. my comp security wouldn't let it be downloaded no matter how I changed the smart filter.
I just downloaded it via my phone and then transferred the file. So now I will play with it a bit.
will let you know how it goes!

So, I'm going to be creating a puzzle/ psychological horror game and need to know if it's possible to use this for:
1. Equipping an item such as [Lantern] and making the effect follow the character.
2. Making the effect diminish over a period of time, forcing you to constantly look for [Lantern Oil] to refill, which will cause illumination to restart.
3. Darkening the shrouded area so that you can't see anything past it.

I love this thread and it's very close to what I need done. If anyone has any ideas on how I can do this, please let me know!

MistyDay

Adventurer
Xy$
1 and 3 should be easy to make with mentioned plugin.
concerning 2 - If I remember well I saw exactelly what you need in one of old gamebattle demo by Mr. LTN Games.
https://rpgmakermv.co/threads/game-dev-battle-match-2-xyphien-vs-ltn_games.3243/
I planned ask him oneday how to do it, but have not get to it since now :)
[doublepost=1477424724,1477423276][/doublepost]My flashlight looks like this (but with endless bateries) :)
Similar is it with lantern or torch.

1 and 3 should be easy to make with mentioned plugin.
concerning 2 - If I remember well I saw exactelly what you need in one of old gamebattle demo by Mr. LTN Games.
https://rpgmakermv.co/threads/game-dev-battle-match-2-xyphien-vs-ltn_games.3243/
I planned ask him oneday how to do it, but have not get to it since now :)
[doublepost=1477424724,1477423276][/doublepost]My flashlight looks like this (but with endless bateries) :)

https://i.imgsafe.org/fb69c1e45e.png
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I eventually plan on having both [Lantern] and [Flashlight] as equip-able items. Thanks MistyDay!