Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey everyone

Sneakaboo

Villager
Xy$
Hey every one, another RPG maker MV enthusiast here.
I'm looking for a forum to hang around.

I'm more of a mapper that focuses on parallax mapping, at this moment I use tiled/Photoshop for creating them.
With the coming of MV I put my old project on hold and started a new, though I feel more comfortable with Ace.

But in the end writing down each line for the very basic movements for a side view battle system proofed to be fun but rather time consuming with ace, in that way I welcome MV.

Anyway nice to meet you.

Mysiath

the Eternal Lord in the Nothingness
Xy$
Well hello there. What kind of maps do you like building more or do you like building all the maps!

I'pose I should welcome you to the forums of chaos resurrection, and I hope you enjoy your stay here and I wish you the best of luck with your new project!

Nice to meet you too!

ClintHennesy

Villager
Xy$
Hey Sneakaboo! :D

Welcome to the Forums. :D

Maybe if you just enjoy one part of making a game- you should join a team. :D
I personally tried to make one game by myself- not even that big- but I felt like the balancing/gameplay parts should be left to the game designers so I can spend more time focusing on the art. :D

Lore

Resident Dragon
Welcome to the insanity we like to call the forums! :)

Specializing in one area is great for teams looking for those types of people; have a browse through the Project Recruitment forum. If you're looking for help on your own project, feel free to post in there too! There are plenty of people around to help out.

I've dabbled in a bit of parallax mapping, but I tend to like building databases more. But feel free to ask any questions that you may have! :D We don't tend to bite too hard ;) :P

Sneakaboo

Villager
Xy$
I would say a bit of a mix.
This is how I work.

1: I tend to use Celianna her resources, and some bought resources.
Quite some are parallax.
For mountains and caves I edit the basic RTP set to make it look like XP tiles, or use existing resources it depends.
From there I lock them to a grid and used Tiled to make a lay out.
RPG maker MV can't make proper png shots with out altering the colours,tiled can.

I recolor/edit/ any kind of recourse I get my hands on (and which are allowed).
Small stuff such as water lines I draw myself.

2: Export layer by layer to Photoshop so I can correct errors easily.
Next to that I can balance colours more, it needs to look calm and nice in game
I try to keep blur to the minimum and don't go overboard with mixing too many colours.

3: Anything that doesn't require passibility fixes will be put in in Photoshop.
I also do some basic lazy Photoshop shadow, putting some colored layers over the water and such.
Just to get the idea.

4: Put the map in MV and now use an plugin called Gridfreedooadds made by Yanfly.
Now I add every tree,stone that requires Parallax fixes on the map.
After it I'll put all animated objects there like moving water lines,lights and what not.

((Used to use other plug ins for animating but this is much faster and less tedious)

Use another plugin to block paths and such.

5: Finalizing coloring/shadows in Photoshop and fix bugs, I tend to wait with this.

Made this map as a test ground to put different resources together and see if they fit in game.
In game it looks smooth and fine, on the screen shot sadly not it enhances the contract too much and screws up the coloring.
Sadly plug ins won't work with taking screen shots.

Combination of: Ace/Parallax/self drawn/MV resources.

But this is the design I'm going for.

http://i.imgur.com/cotBFXg.png

Last edited:

Juneberry

Global Moderator
Xy$
Hi there, fellow enthusiast @Sneakaboo! I really like your username. It's so cute! It makes me wanna snuggle you.

I started with Ace as you did, but I've never been good with mapping, especially parallax. What got you into it? I'm curious. I'm also curious what makes you prefer side view battles overall! Since you seem to. :)

I wish you the best of luck, and hope we'll become the best of friends! :D