Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halloween Contest Voting!

Your vote is...?

• Halloween Board Game - Dad3353

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Missing - Ike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minakill

Towns Guard
Xy$
In professional games the writing for everything, including user-interface, is separate from the editor, which goes against how MV works. I find that having it separate helps with grammatical mistakes massively.

As an example, my game's account creation system has all its guides and message text in a separate file and closer to release date I will be going over every single line of text just to make sure it's perfect and conveys exactly the right emotion that I want the text to feel.

It went from something like "You'll need to sign up with Google, Twitter or Facebook" to what it is currently "To get started, we need to sign you in\n [Google Logo] [Facebook Logo] [Twitter Logo]\n(We support these services!)" and will likely change a few more times before release.

Writing is very important in games, and I'm not talking about story writing, I'm talking about everything the player reads (and hears with spoken dialogue). You can make a game seem very condescending to the player's intelligence or make it seem like the game itself is not very intelligent if the writing isn't perfect.

Someone should probably make a tool for extracting all the text in an MV project to make translation and text reviews easier.
Are my game have bad grammar or i implement they language(Character from start and main character) good?
[doublepost=1476995741,1476995129][/doublepost]
I don't think entrants should be updating their games after the deadline, it doesn't seem fair to fix problems/make your game easier after the fact when other entrants aren't doing the same.
Thanks i just wanted to know it. Also what you want to see in after vote demo?
I continue with game anyway. Also i make hot fix where i fixed game because it causes error from start new game so i hope it's fair. Because i think it's not fair for me to lose because people can't say how is my game because they not played. :|

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would like to remind everyone that this is an international group, that has people that know English, know some English, and learning English. So be careful when being an English judge in public. That is why we have the [Start a Conversation] option with members.

Minakill

Towns Guard
Xy$
I would like to remind everyone that this is an international group, that has people that know English, know some English, and learning English. So be careful when being an English judge in public. That is why we have the [Start a Conversation] option with members.
I care about write text properly but in very big complex messages it can shows then i start missing some typos.
[doublepost=1477008510,1476996474][/doublepost]
Thanks Dad3353 for making your entry playable in the web browser - it's much easier to play and review MV games that are deployed to a webpage.

Thanks MinisterJay for deploying a Mac version of their MV project - if you've not deployed to a website then you should always deploy MV as both a Mac and Windows version as there's zero reason not to.

Halloween Board Game by Dad3353

Pretty much a random number generator demo. Despite the numbers being random, I had all players roll 7 twice in a row and they all gained 6 candies in the same round. Some additional logic to make the numbers feel more random would have been great.

Skelee's Halloween Adventure by MinisterJay

I laughed for a good 2 minutes at "Stempleton". Apologies to anyone who has that name in reality. I think the narration could have been better without the windowskin, displayed in the middle of the screen, to set it apart from the spoken dialogue.

Game is pretty much run around mashing the interaction button. I suggest everyone turns on auto-dash. Skelee is a wimp, only managed to take down 2 enemies. There's no reason not to use the attack option.

The human characters gathered up at the lower left and lower right of the map for me, so I beat the game by accident it felt like.

Clown Ghetto by Minakill

The grammar is its own horror story.
There was strange, jerkiness to the character following at the very start. Gameplay is basically run away from the nemisis. I loved the clown stabbing animation and the lighting is okay. Not being able to go into the doors was frustrating.

"Why would I want to go in there?" - I don't know, maybe because there's a killer clown chasing you?

I don't think I ever found the lighter.

Hallo by JoePie

I loved the artwork and the animation. Really good job. The writing isn't so great

I think I broke the game as my character disappeared after some events looped a few times. The traffic-cone pyramid head guy killed me every time, I couldn't guard in any direction.

I thought the event loops were intentional, I find horror stories that loop very scary, but this looks like a bug rather than intentional.

Couldn't reach any kind of ending, sorry.

Missing by Ike

Grammar mistakes. Custom artwork is appreciated, but it looked incredibly flat.

A long time ago I made a horror/puzzle RPG Maker game set in an abandoned hotel, the biggest complaint I got was the slow movement of the character, I think this character feels slow-moving too. If you want to have slow-paced horror, you can achieve it with additional animation. So rather than have the main character walk slowly, have them turn around or make a movement like turning their head.

Was sort of a creepy-pasta style story. I'd say the police officer's questions were unrealistic, but I literally had a police officer ask me questions about a missing person in real life and they were just as useless as this game's police officer. More details in the story were needed, but I think you were being thoughtful about how much reading is involved for the player which is why the interaction was rather bare.

Ouija by Nite Umbrium

The title screen reminds me of genitals. The characters didn't really have a very smooth introduction, which made their names feel rather generic. Found an impassable blank tile error.

The Ouija made a spelling mistake, which actually helps it feel authentic, however I think some animation would have improved the Ouija sequences. The sound effect of the sliding cup was good, but felt lengthy. I think some fading in-out letters of the alphabet would have been good and simple enough to implement.

Also, Rowan is traditionally a boys name - so it was a little weird having a girl character be called Rowan.

Not sure the maze towards the finale was neccessary. I could change my player character's direction during the finale too.

The use of audio was good.

Geode by Orange Jones

Ringing sound, yet the text says <bzzt>? Probably didn't need that text there. Appreciate the custom artwork.

The atmosphere is actually pretty tense, but the dialogue had me bursting out with laughter a little too much.

The dialogue directed the player very well, and having them walk past the labelled rooms to let them see where they are before the player needed to find them helped a lot. Felt like some good thought was put into helping the player navigate - hopefully this was intentional and not an accident. The character portraits were great too.

Alien sounds nearly broke my speakers. Also, their heads look rather phallic.

I actually really liked the setting.

Felt like some good effort was put into the areas that the developer felt they could do best within the time limit.

Servers operate on a need-to-code basis? Those must be some very unreliable servers...
Thanks when i read your comment. I decided to fix that first problem and maybe others to.
You have what to wait for after voting ends.
Also can you say me what is changed good way and what need fix again? Later when my next demo goes after voting out. :)
[doublepost=1477010449][/doublepost]It's voting ends same month like it's now?

Lore

Resident Dragon
4:41PM also we know who win but who ends second? I want be second i don't need win but i want be second at least. :(
Second place will be whoever has the second highest amount of votes at the end of voting. In the case of a tie, we'll work something out. :)

JoePie

Towns Guard
Damn I updated several time, and delete the 0.1 ver right after.
Let me know if that against the rule and I will forfeit instantly, no tough call.

MistyDay

Adventurer
Xy$
Tadaaa, I managed to taste all your games :)
If you wont insist on it, I´ll not write any critigue because it would spoil a bit :D
I will just vote this time as soon as I pick from my favorites.
Good luck to all participants!

JoePie

Towns Guard
Yeah it is... well then if there's any way I can flat it out, let me know! BTW 3 left until I finish all!

P.S: Added change log at my first post here, so anyone should be seeing it right after.

Orange Jones

Towns Guard
I've uploaded a Mac version of mine, I haven't changed/updated the game from the one I submitted though. Hope that's fine. (Much as I'd like to go in and fix a glitching sound effect lol.)

The games are really cool, good work everybody :D

TheUnproPro

Boondoggle
Staff member
Resource Team
Partner
Minakill, you've created multiple accounts to cheat, please understand that this will result in a disqualification. I'm sorry. You probably could have almost gotten away with it if you had masked your I.P address, lucky you got caught, it isn't fair to cheat like that, some people really want to win. I'll be deleting your game from the entry, sorry.

Minakill

Towns Guard
Xy$
Minakill, you've created multiple accounts to cheat, please understand that this will result in a disqualification. I'm sorry. You probably could have almost gotten away with it if you had masked your I.P address, lucky you got caught, it isn't fair to cheat like that, some people really want to win. I'll be deleting your game from the entry, sorry.
I seriosly want to win for give money to brother. But i don't care i don't must now care about rules and do with my game what i want.

Status
Not open for further replies.