Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hail Lorsynth

Lorsynth

Villager
Xy$
I'm migrating, so the thread is messy and not quite up to date. <3

Update log, 2/4/2017 - Fixed the missing images?
2/1/1012 - Updated the entire thread with content and images. Enjoy. <3

Twitter, Facebook, Furaffinity, DeviantArt, Ask.Me

Hail Lorsynth explores psychology through gameplay, and the player
will need to manage a variety of emotional statuses and psychological
weaknesses in order to progress. The game will put a big emphasis on
empathy vs negative emotion. Gameplay shifts between bright, noisy
and bubbly atmospheres to dull tones and disjointed focus, to better
help players understand and maintain their character's perspective &
emotional well-being. The game will have multiple starts and endings
and a heavy focus on character development & storytelling.

HL is centered around exploring mental stability, with a stat system based on traditional
psychological and emotional affects and more accurate maintenance of the protagonists
physical wellbeing. Mental curious are actively explored subtly throughout the game as
the player works their way towards one of dozens of potential outcomes, affected largely
by the accurate management of emotional and physical wellness, often through a variety
of seemingly minor quests and adventures that ultimately damage the psyche of the
protagonist of not properly handled. Decisions made will actively affect things continuously
through the game, positively or negatively. The player will rarely be given black and white
choices, making it harder to follow a strategic path.

The world itself is vaguely biotech-esque, a fetid alien planet populated by monstrous
creatures that are both beautiful and deeply unsettling. A sandbox grab-bag of different
play styles and nostalgic minigames, farming, romances, adventuring. It aims to give
players a vast amount of choice as to what they want to do, and how they want to progress,
with easy, flexible systems to help them along.

HL is still in its infancy, with a lot of the work towards it being rough conceptualizations and
newly developed styles, a mismatch of what-ifs. Basically, it's a construction ground of heavy
detailed features, stylized art and a lot of nifty npc behaviors and development. I want the
game itself to reflect emotional states in a way that seems visually appealing, with a lot of
underlying representation that makes it feel generally 'unsettling'. I also want to touch on
the edges of a lot of contradiction or misinformation, hopefully making people more aware
of how they get treated & how they treat people.

But mostly, it's just a lot of freeplay that feels like a consistent story where they can do anything
they want, any way they want to do it.

HL

Magic & Usage
Magic in HL isn't quite as 'magical' as, say, harry potter, instead it focus on the use of
energy. All energy fits along a range of positive and negative, 'spell casting' is called
projecting and mages are generally considered spiritual icons, their names varied
depending on educational field of study.

The use of energies is simplified to work well in a magic type combat system, but instead
of hurling fireballs players instead work with a range of physical and mental effects, like
fear, healing, heat, cold, joy, anger and sadness to name a few.

Positive projecting includes things like healing, a surge of courage to fellow comrades, or
a burst of calm or certainty. Having characters with positive projection skills could be used
to manipulate a party of followers positively, out of combat it can give players a chance to
appease those who wouldn't normally agree with a decision, as an example.

Negative projecting, of course, would include things like surges of panic, fear, anger, etc.
These things would mostly be used on opponents, but they can also be used to negatively
manipulate a party or character, an example would be making a character with berserker
tendencies ultra angry, depending on the character the resulting carnage could be seen as
negative or positive.

The storyline for HL is still very basic, with most of the design process so far being devoted to
developing the style, systems and general aesthetics. So chances are this area will be updated
and edited constantly. The gist of it is basically this.

Lorsynth created the universe, her children tend to it.

About character interaction :
-
A key feature of hl is character interaction, every npc the protag encounters throughout
the game will have an intricate backstory that may come into play, for most characters
these will come out through frequent interaction and conversation, which builds a strength
and relationship stat. The strength builds slowly overtime, faster if you visit them, say, once
a day. Slower if you encounter then from time to time. It'll also diminish over time, but the
higher the stat the slower it falls without contact.

While the protagonist does keep a fairly detailed and up to date journal the player can
negatively influence the accuracy of the journals content. This will have a lot of influences,
and the players managed mental health will be a major factor in perceived outcome.

While most of this info may not be particularly important, there will be situations where
obscure information may be critical in understanding a characters behaviour, motives or
reactions, which will be progressively more important as game time moves forward.

This is particularly key when dealing with party members, just like real relationships they all
have different views, motives and opinions which can be responded to or manipulated for
mutual/self gain, how the protag treats friends or enemies will define the kind of help they
receive in turn.

Characters
I'm planning out a massive variety of in-depth characters with what I hope will have fairly
psychologically accurate personalities.

Protagonist
The protagonist originates in a place with a resemblance to earth, and while the character's initial race is never mentioned, it is implied that she/he's a human. The death of the protagonist is a tragic accident the player witnesses upon starting the game, before the player enters the first interactive area, a dream scene that's both hauntingly beautiful and serene, but ultimately eerie and unnatural.

As the player progresses the protagonist faces a variety of positive and negative events, the protagonist's core characteristics will then be decided based on how the player handles these initial dream-like quests. (Still needs to be expanded, click the sub bellow for outdated info

The protagonist is first introduced as a human boarding the subway, a cutscene plays out,
and depending on the choice of the player the human died one of several ways, which will
also impact the protag later on in the game. After death a god of Felth approaches the
player motherly with promises of protection and comfort. Again, the player is faced with
several choices, all of which end with the god putting the protag into a deep warm sleep,
a dream sequence follows, again dictated by player decision. Depending on the players
choices the protag will wake up in the body of one of four races, in one of four starting
locations. This stage is a kindergarten type tutorial where the player consistently levels and
ages their character while playing through a race specific tutorial. The player will be faced
with a great amount of choice and decision to help shape their character and class, which
can be edited at the start of adulthood before the protag continues on his/her quest.

Lorsynth
A fungus god, creator of all things. The legends say she's a meditator of another planet who
has achieved enlightenment, and so created a universe with the strength of her mind.
Lorsynth is still a person, full of personality and kindness, and her control of the world
changes based on how she watches the player interact with her creations. A troublesome or
nasty character may incur random acts of wrath and warning. It is said at the point of death
the children of Lorsynth invite tired souls to a feast, followed by a business offer. Those who
make the decision to stay often lose part of themselves. She's more often depicted white,
accept when associated with reincarnation.

Lorsynth has a lot of features. I'll explain more soon.Check out some of the features bellow though!
Yearly Cycles
Weather, Day/Night, Changing Months, Weather & Seasons, Passing Time and Character aging.

Romance
Courting, Dating, Romancing, Positive and Negative, LGBT Friendly
Varied Gender Identities and Sexual Preferences, Long & Slow Burns,
Adult & G rated content, Intimate Scenes, Multiple Romances, Cheating
& Poly Options.

Basic Needs
Hunger, Thirst & Energy
Bloated, Stuffed, Full, Fed, Peckish, Hungry, Famished, Starving, Ravenous, Malnourished, Emaciated
Quenched, Hydrated, Satisfied, Thirsty, Parched, Dehydrated.
(Energy still WIP Concepts)

Cooking
Recipes, Brewing, Specific Skills, Cooking Utensils, Ingredient Freedom.

Safe as Houses
Player Homes, Shops, Stalls, Portables & Camps
Buy and sell, trade and decorate, set up camp and enjoy the view.
Earn royalties & rent, keep on top of maintenance and repair.
Set up shop wherever you stop.

Nurture Nature
Fungiculture, Farming, Hydroponics, Foraging, Planting & Harvesting
Set up decorative gardens and farms, sell produce, protect crops.
Hire help, etc.

Clicking a plant will give you the option of taking the whole plant or only
the vital parts the player needs. Such as the leaves, flowers, caps, fruit etc.
If the whole plant is taken it'll still need to be disassembled, which may
leave waste products in the inventory, stems, thorns, poisonous leaves etc.
These only perish if left in the inventory for several days, otherwise they keep
indefinitely in proper storage. Food has stages of spoilage, and can still be eaten
or used in alchemy in later stages.

Plant scraps decay into plant matter or toxic plant matter regardless of type.
It's all just mush yo.

Animal Whisperer
Livestock, Pets, Taming, Trapping, Breeding, Sales,
Positive and Negative experiences, Illness, death.
Pet leveling and character building. All animals have active personalities.

Building
Shopping

The screens & art bellow still need a lot of work, and I've just chucked components in to fillthe space and give me an idea of how things are going to work together.
And credit where it's due, the beautiful sandy desert landscape seen
through the windows was drawn by the wonderfully talented

shadowpup23

some character profiles. They're all temporary and rough, so I'm using these as more examples of different angles and dynamics.
Also, Some main characters. The two brothers. <3

Flaming Pike

Villager
Xy$
I really like the look of this. Visually, it reminds me of the Oddworld franchise. The artwork is awesome. The creatures are very original. Reminds me of creature creation in Spore. The features are also very interesting. Characters aging is pretty rare in any game and especially in RPG Maker games. I toyed a little with in-game clock stuff myself so I know all of this ( day/night included ) involves colossal work. A very daring game, should I say, and that's what I love about it.

Lorsynth

Villager
Xy$
I really like the look of this. Visually, it reminds me of the Oddworld franchise. The artwork is awesome. The creatures are very original. Reminds me of creature creation in Spore. The features are also very interesting. Characters aging is pretty rare in any game and especially in RPG Maker games. I toyed a little with in-game clock stuff myself so I know all of this ( day/night included ) involves colossal work. A very daring game, should I say, and that's what I love about it.
This is so incredibly flattering since Abe's Oddysee was my all time favorite game as a kid. I never found a game that scratched that visual itch for me, it was so exotic. Exactly what I wanted in a game about aliens!

And yeah, HL is a bit too ambitious, but I have so much fun putting it all together like a puzzle. I've used rpg maker programs since I was a teen, and I guess it's a little therapeutic now. And very satisfying to see all my art elements come together in game all working and moving. Even fixing bugs can be a lot of fun. My temperature system is controlled by variables and for ages I couldn't get it to stop getting stuck at odd temperatures. (cheeks)

Anyway, a copy/paste of some of the stuff I've talked about on other threads since my last update here:

Working through our notes and concepts we now have a pretty decent explanation of Felth, the world in which Hail Lorsynth takes place.
The final rewrite and editing was done by my wonderful dev partner Possmonaut, and I think he did a bang up job. <3

I. What is Felth?
Felth is the landfill of the Adeous cluster, where everything discarded, from the
refuse of society to actual refuse, ends up. It is a backwater truckstop to better
places, a land sunk in rot down to it’s mold-infested core.

II. What of Felth's Landscapes?
The world of Felth is almost as much of a living and breathing being as the
creatures that live upon it; a 'Breathing World', one that is always moving, pulsing,
and squirming. The flora is more akin to disembodied meaty organs, pulsing and
squirming to stimulus, the entire landscape fleshy and sticky.

It's a land of fungus and rot, skies so choked with spores the roll like moving seas,
the organic darkness keeping the surface blanketed in a hot and wet atmosphere.
Flaming sporocysts glimmer like stars in the blackened sky, their burning hulls
charring away their biological competition.

That isn’t to say the entire surface is one swampy jungle. Cold patches lend
themselves to dry and icy tundras, where craggy, glowing lichen dominate every
surface including their lice-like hosts, only preyed upon by beaked hunters with
anti-freeze for blood.

But even lichen are a kind of fungi, and it can be said that fungi, from the smallest
glowing spore to the giant craggy stinkhorns that rise into the sky, dominating
every meter of the planet, are the true dominant life form. The sheer volume of
spores effect the weather itself, with blooms of fungi creating neon-shaded
thunderstorms, so thick do they choke the air.

Even the deserts are a creation of these molds, their sands little more than millions
of dead spores, their secretive biological war soaking the ground in toxins, turning
patches of earth into gigantic wastelands just waiting for a drop of water to awaken
them into a bloom of neon, fleshy plant life.

III. What Creatures Populate Felth?
Just as protozoa and fungi chew away at the decay of Felth, and bring new life in their
stead, the beasts that inhabit it’s fungal caves and spore clogged skies consists largely
of carrion animals. Insects of all kinds, with wildly varying physiology and intelligence,
act as both hazard and ally to the sentient races carving out a living on Felth.
Alongside them are a myriad of reptiles and therapsids, though the barriers between
all three are thin at best.

Warm blooded beasts with hard chitin shells and eyeless heads trudge through the
cilia-laced slush of the colder regions, venting steam from their shells into the chill air.
Millipedes the size of ferrets lay across their owner’s shoulders, snacking on old fruit
rinds from their owner’s proffered hand.

Flying beasts of all types roam the skies, from the swarms of moths dancing in a mating
column, the glowing spots on their body just another fungus ensuring the survival of
itself and it’s host, to the gas-bloated puffballs trailing its roots through the air like a
smoke-shrouded medusa.

Many more strange beasts roam within the uncharted sea, the water’s acidic to the touch,
roiling with all kinds of strange and disturbing life. And much as the barrier between
insect and mammal blur, there is barely a horizon between aquatic and orthologic life.
The same strange jellyfish that roam the upper levels of Felth’s atmosphere start their
lives in the sea, while many creatures, sentient or otherwise, live by the ocean-side,
calling both the land and sea their home.

IV. Who are the Felthians?
-

V. What are their Technologies / how do they survive?
Felth is a world built on organic tinkering, with symbiotic organisms replacing much of
the machinery that keeps life modern. External stomachs stretched between a transparent
exoskeleton become churning vats of enzymes that extrude organo-plastic tools from
complex spinnerets. Clusters of organ-beasts replace traditional engines, while lost limbs
and body parts may be replaced with a creature wholly foreign to its host’s physiology.
Your car will eat and your house will breathe.

It is a technology considered taboo by the other planets in the Adeous cluster, with willing
hosts being viewed with as much trepidation as the symbiotic beings that cling to them. It
is difficult to understand that the relationship held between Felthians and their organic
hitchhikers is much more complex than host and parasite. It is one of pure symbiosis; one
could simply not exist without the other.

VI. Where do they Live?
Almost every structure built on Felth follows these tenets. Housing tends to be created
from the very plants and fungi that encrust it’s surface. Large mushrooms and giant flora
gave them many more resources for housing and safety, the world itself seeming eager to
shelter them. Hollowed out pods are treated and built into walls, reinforced by the thick
stems of the plant itself, and then protected by the giant shells of dried melons, all of these
parts cut and changed and utilised into a mass of exotic structures.

Below sea level, calcite globes hang from the sides of huge solid coral and shells, hollowed
out and inhabited. The husks of gigantic and ancient sea monsters are hollowed out to
become a apartment complex, windows glowing faintly into the murky blue. Oysters and
clams the size of sheds are farmed enmass for their shells, the diamond hard calcium plating
combined with solid stone, cold as the abyss it was mined from, to create great bulwarks that
rise high above the abyssal plain, strong enough to even stand guard above the tide itself.

Many of the lighter structures float freely in the sluggish ocean currents, swaying like clusters
of barnacles. Cities don't always need set directions, their lights, made by glowing plant life
and creatures trapped in vats, the only thing visible for miles across the seabed.

Recently, trade embargos have been lifted, allowing open resource exchange between the
land and ocean races, with electrical machinery finding it’s way into the deep, and the bizarre,
organic technology the ocean races have used for aeons making it’s way into the light of the
surface for the first time in decades.

VII. Abhourite
Abhourite is one of the most powerful discoveries made in the last few years. A material that
both compliments and contrasts strongly with its environment, Abhourite is an inorganic,
amorphous material similar in appearance to glass that grows and spreads just like any of the
other living things that dot Felth’s surface.

Its origin is entirely unknown, but it has two major uses.

One, when harvested and processed, it functions as an incredibly powerful energy source
stronger than nearly anything else found on Felth. It allows the raw manipulation of matter
and energy on a scale that almost seems to break the laws of physics, leading to it being
banned in many systems. Despite this, it has become Felth’s number one export, with all sorts
of shady companies showing interest in this wonder material. Shipments of the stuff are
constantly hijacked and sold on the black market to the highest bidder for millions of dollars.

Two, when ingested, it imparts similar capabilities, with users able to manipulate organic matter
as if it was clay, their bodies modified as they see fit. Wounds knit themselves rapidly and users
find themselves able to run for hours on end without feeling fatigued. All this comes at a cost
though. Users burn through calories at a unnatural rate, and Abhourite is dangerously addictive
even on the first use. Repeated usage often leads to extreme cases of mutation, as well as mental
degradation, with addicts having to eat constantly to sustain their capabilities, constantly in a
state of pained euphoria as they wrap themselves and the world around them at a whim.

VIII. What do Felthians Eat & Drink / A Bit About Their Culture?

The darkness and thick air of Felth robs its inhabitants of many senses, with sight and sound muted
and dull. Feelings of scent and touch dominate, the subtle rumble of the earth or taste of copper on
the tongue warning of an incoming spore bloom. The pheromones and textures of the world are
more vital to life than any other senses, and this is reflected in the warm culture of Felth’s population.

The darkness they thrive in is dotted with glowing light, electric and bioluminescent, not fighting the
dark but lighting the way for those looking for a warm place and a good meal. They find their place at
the bottom, a world of refuse waiting to be reused, everything around them ripe for the taking. Fish,
fungus, and crunchy insects are plucked from the wilds themselves or specially tended rot farms, with
hydroponics making up the backbone of some of the more complex farming industries, large mold like
fruits grown in fetid water.

Even raw, these foods are varied in texture, with soft and yielding mushrooms and slippery fungi giving
off musky smells and bland tastes, to spiced cacti, with the crunchy textures of celery and the hot,
citrusy flavors of melons and fruits, sometimes bitter, sometimes sweet. The large meaty bodies of beetles
and worms are cooked and shared in a variety of ways, wings fried, legs boiled, the white meat served in
soups of curdled green fungus juices.

The drinks are no different. There’s a treasure trove of cocktails, some created just for drinking, some
with strange effects, all harvested from both animal and plant alike. The colours and smells of their fluids
all mix together into a range of bizarre and surreal tinctures. There’s brightly glowing syrups that light up
one’s belly, black sludges that shines a unknown color when put under a blacklight, murky liquids that
constantly move and swirl, or thin, clear suspensions that hide the watery tendrils dangling from the still
living pulp floating within.

In the wild, plants tend to drip with honey and nectars, both deadly and delicious. Even the insects the
creep and crawl amongst the vegetation can be found bloated with sweet extract, abdomens translucent
and shimmering with stored sugars, or bellies as clear as glass, the churning fluids inside tinted and
tasted by decomposing fruits.

All of this is served up in dishes and cups often fashioned by the nature of Felth itself. Mugs like oblong
pods are offered to the insectoid and long tongued nectar feeders, while round bowls with angled holes
are given to the posh drinking dogs with their quick moving tongues and solid stares.

And just as Felth itself dulls the sight but promotes the tongue, the strange horror of these dishes hides
nothing of their rich savory smells and mouth-watering tastes. Multi-cultural cuisine thrives here, with the
ingredients of Felth finding their places in the recipes of old world dishes kept alive in the minds of the
refugees who now find home in its bosom.

Sometimes, it’s dim environments can’t hide the bright, colourful display of neon worms fried curled up
and fried around a kebab, or a fan of savory meats on display like paints on a pallet, all old dishes made
new by the chef who plies their trade in food stalls hidden in the back alley of an old shanty town.

I don't mind posting some good lore updates while I'm still working on the art stuff, which is super time consuming. I'm dying to get into the more exciting stuff but I have to get through menu stuff first. Not always the most thrilling stuff to post or do to be honest. Here's an update on the art side though, so you know I'm not slacking! Haha.

Absolutely! A big focus on the design is movement, the interface is supposed to be a living machine itself so all the different scenes have individual animations. Character profiles will breathe and fidget on the status menu, and in chat menus they'll fully emote, expression and body language is really important for quests. Even the landscape moves, mushrooms pulse and plants whisp around with the breeze. Floating spores and animated lighting effects. I am so in love with lighting effects, I should post an animated light source or fire to show.

I talk a lot about it because I'm so dayum excited. The demo I'm working on is supposed to be a prototype I can surprise my old dev team with, so they can see a lot of their old work salvaged and realised. After that I'll probably redo a lot of it completely, improve and tweak it and comit to developing it over a few years with a group of people. If everything goes well and we get through all the icky dev hurdles I hope we can sell the finished product.

Lorsynth

Villager
Xy$

All of the bellow was done by

shadowpup23

He's amazing

Last edited by a moderator:

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
@Lorsynth Large images need to be placed in spoilers, especially when you have multiple. I placed them in one for now, but I won't approve your post next time if you don't start including them.