Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guide needed: tileset usage and basic map creation

Ector

Villager
Xy$
Hello all, I'm a complete newb. I've bought a lot of graphical resources, but can't use them yet, since I'm totally confused with all these A1, A2 and so on. What do they mean?
It would be great to get a guide on tilesets usage and the basics of map creation. It would be awesome if that guilde wouldn't be a video, since I hate to watch tons of crap just to fetch a single bit of information I need. Do you know any good PDF guide, or at least a good HTML guide? I would be very grateful.

Boy Who Codes

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
What is A1 - E?

These are your tileset sections. It means, whenever you create a map, each letter represents the things you can put through in your map and what layer they are. Trust me, there are still layers in RPG Maker MV. By layers, it means it's the priority where each of the tile appears inside your map. What does A1 and A5 mean specifically?

A1 is the animated tiles. These are the tiles that animates whenever you see them on the map. These usually consists of water, lava, falls,etc. These are the tiles that simulates the water, lava and falls as if they are alive. Of course, you need those in your games, don't you think? or else, if the water is static and stuff, it won't look very much appealing.

A2 consists of the Ground tiles. These would be the cemented ground, grassy ground, plain, desert, snow, etc.

A3 are the buildings, these would consist the roof of the buildings.

A4 are the buildings, these would consist of the walls of the buildings.

A5 would be the additional things in the buildings, such as the black and blank tiles, space tiles, ladder, stairs, carpeted ladder, etc.

B would be the decor, usually ranging from what is inside your map. For example, if you're mapping a room, then it should be the room decors and insides. Like the flower, the stairs, some cabinets, etc.

C onwards would be the things that are left to decor inside the room. Things that you think are not included in B.

Just remember, when mapping, B comes after C, C after D and D after E. So if you placed a C tile and you're trying to put the B tile, the C tile you placed just got erased. The only way to make that in reverse is make the tile an event.

Ector

Villager
Xy$
You're welcome, glad my explanation helped. If there are things you don't understand in MV, just hit me up sometime.
You're too generous sir, I don't understand almost everything at the moment :) But I guess I'll start with the JavaScript code, as I'm a programmer.

dbchest

Villager
Xy$
I suggest opening the RPGMakerMV help file from the help menu in the editor and having a thorough read through before you begin performing time-heavy tasks towards a project.

The help file is well written and covers almost everything there is to know about the engine and editor.

Ector

Villager
Xy$
I suggest opening the RPGMakerMV help file from the help menu in the editor and having a thorough read through before you begin performing time-heavy tasks towards a project.

The help file is well written and covers almost everything there is to know about the engine and editor.
If it WOULD be "well written" and "covered almost everything", I wouldn't have to ask such questions :) Here's what is written there:

Upper Layer Tile Special Specifications
  • You can layer 2 different types on the upper maps B-E.
    * When layering a 3rd tile, the 1st upper tile will disappear.
    * When the 3rd tile layered is the same as the 2nd tile, the first tile will not disappear.
    * Only the upper left B tile can erase all upper tiles.
  • When a passable tile and an impassable tile are layered, the effect of the tile layered last takes priority.
    * Even when a passable ☆ tile is on the bottom, the tile with the ☆ will be displayed on top.
    * When a passable ☆ tile is layered, the impassable tile's effect will take priority.
Lower Layer Tile Special Specifications
Amongst the tiles that are displayed in the [A] tab of the Tile Palette, those items found in [A2] in the tileset properties are divided into [Base] (tiles 1 to 4 from the left, or the left half) and [Decoration] tiles (tiles 5 to 8 from the left, or the right half). Decoration tiles can be placed on top of base tiles.

However, for those [Tilesets] which have their [Mode] set to [World Type] in the tileset properties, when placing a decoration tile that is stacked on a 2nd or 4th base tile, the base tile will change either the 1st or 3rd base tile.

What are "upper maps"? Why should anybody place a 3rd tile if it's the same as the 2nd tile? What is a "star" tile? Why the Base and Decoration tiles are on the same A2 palette, and why on A2, not A1 or A3? The last sentence is absolutely confusing, and I doubt that most experienced users can understand it. Actually, it would be great to have at least one example for each of these situations to understand them.

dbchest

Villager
Xy$
If you continue browsing through the content in the help file, you will notice that within the "documentation" section there is a subsection on asset standards. Have a look in there and find the "tileset details" section.

It is here that you can read up on the logic and theory behind the tileset system employed in the editor. They break down the design of tilesets and explain things like set A is recognized as being lower tiles and sets B through E are considered upper tiles.

I'm confident if you read through the section I mentioned above that you will have a better understanding of the tilesets.

A general rule when mapping is that set A is used to build the foundation of a map. All of the tiles is set A were designed with the pretense that they would be the base layer of the map. Tiles within sets B through E are to be placed on top of the tiles you laid down from set A.

Last edited:

Ector

Villager
Xy$
Thanks a lot! Many things became clear to me now. I wouldn't ask this question, if this topic would be seen in the Help Index.

There's a ton of different things you need to know about when making your map, and there really aren't any good guides out there, imo. You either get one small section of map making but it's very rudimentary. Or video after video on parallax mapping. Which is the way to go but when you're first starting out, it's a bit much. Like going to Calculus when you don't know how to add or subtract. Half the videos don't go into the map settings at all. Map making is one of the most frustrating things in MV when you're first starting out, and there just doesn't seem to be a decent guide to all the ins and outs.