Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Dev Battle Contest

Should we stick to the original one game, or do one game every round

• Only one game

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • One game every round

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Troctzul

Troctzul: Father, RPG Maker, Conqueror of Worlds
Xy$
Well, I was so excited to start a game, I created a new project and drew a blank, this is devastating lol How is everyone else doing? I know it's still really early but you never know we may have some hardcore developers in here. Anyway, I updated the OP with the new countdown, good luck everyone!
Lol it happens, well I started a concept and already got a few characters made. I think it has been going pretty well :P

CraftGeek

Knight
Xy$
Well, I was so excited to start a game, I created a new project and drew a blank, this is devastating lol How is everyone else doing? I know it's still really early but you never know we may have some hardcore developers in here. Anyway, I updated the OP with the new countdown, good luck everyone!
I got alot more than I thought I would done. A few characters and maps. Nothing fancy though, just trying to keep it simple.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
@Troctzul That is a good start, at least it's a bit of progress, more than me lol.
@AngelAldredge Awesome, I'm glad you're doing good and again you got more than me :)

I'm not to worried about maps though I'm fairly quick at mapping my worry right now is getting a concept, I really want to do something unique so I think that is why I'm getting stuck.

Troctzul

Troctzul: Father, RPG Maker, Conqueror of Worlds
Xy$
@Troctzul That is a good start, at least it's a bit of progress, more than me lol.
@AngelAldredge Awesome, I'm glad you're doing good and again you got more than me :)

I'm not to worried about maps though I'm fairly quick at mapping my worry right now is getting a concept, I really want to do something unique so I think that is why I'm getting stuck.
That is why I sort of said to heck with being unique, I'm just going to have fun :P

Chimera_FaceSet.png Groll_FaceSet.png Kaehl_FaceSet.png Untitled 493.png Untitled 496.png Untitled 498.png

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
@Xyphien good stuff I'm excited to see what you make.

@Troctzul yea keeping it simple is always nice, you have some nice looking screenshots there, keep em coming.

I finally have a concept as well as my project setup with the proper plugins and tiles. All I have to do is write the plot and some character detials. Then I can finally start eventing. Should have some stuff to show off later today, as soon as I'm done taking a nap lol

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
To keep it even more of a challenge, if someone decides to drop out, do not tell anybody, but me, through PM. (bowandarrow)
The thing I fear the most, is spending all this time making a game and not having an opponent to duke it out with. If you don't have someone to go up against, people won't download your game as there won't be a reason too. It could leave people empty handed as they spent a lot of time on their game, etc.

That is actually a pretty good idea, keep things mysterious and interesting.

I finally made a map!! I'm so excited, though I should really get started on my plot before proceeding any further.
The problem with me and quick games like this is I just go with the flow, and create it as I go lol. So, my game probably isn't going to be all that good.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
The thing I fear the most, is spending all this time making a game and not having an opponent to duke it out with. If you don't have someone to go up against, people won't download your game as there won't be a reason too. It could leave people empty handed as they spent a lot of time on their game, etc.
The contest is set up just like sport tournaments, if there is a person who decided not to participate anymore the person assigned to dual them will get a "bye" and proceed to the next round to go up aginst someone else, so you should not have to worry about this.
The problem with me and quick games like this is I just go with the flow, and create it as I go lol. So, my game probably isn't going to be all that good.
I hear ya, I'm practically going with the flow with a bit of clarity in between the chaos lol Just remember to step back once in a while and examine what you've done and you should be good. Either way it will be fun!

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Xyphien , if it were to occur, it would only effect the first round. It would be treated as a robo-war match, when the opponent does not show up. It would be treated as a bye or a forfeit. There are still two more rounds to be faced. Yes there would be reason to download the game. It is just a contingency plan, if someone drops out during the first round.

Tsukihime

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Hmm undead.

The only thing that comes to mind is an endless runner where your hero ends up in an undead world but doesn't realize it.

Of course, this is because my quest giver will be the usual item shop keeper and the main protagonists will end up being Chimg and Acquire-chan again.

Then again, I guess it has to be explicit? Otherwise anything could pass as "undead" as long as you say something like "we're in the after-life"

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
The contest is set up just like sport tournaments, if there is a person who decided not to participate anymore the person assigned to dual them will get a "bye" and proceed to the next round to go up aginst someone else, so you should not have to worry about this.
That's the problem I'm talking about. Next round will be a different genre I can only assume right? So, if for example, I spend 6 days on my game, and then @Tsukihime bales out of it (Hypothetically), I'd have spent 6 days on nothing practically as I'd simply just go to the next round. Make sense? That's the only problem I see with it.

I hear ya, I'm practically going with the flow with a bit of clarity in between the chaos lol Just remember to step back once in a while and examine what you've done and you should be good. Either way it will be fun!
I haven't had much time to mess around with MV the past few months, so making the game is really fun XD I'm enjoying it regardless of what people think of it, I'm liking it thus far, and it's a good refresher on everything. Thanks once again for doing the contest :D

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
That's the problem I'm talking about. Next round will be a different genre I can only assume right?
I'm fairly certain we only make the one game, then it battles through the ranks. (hella)
Not a game for each round. (right)(cool) At least that how I've read it. (cute)

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I'm fairly certain we only make the one game, then it battles through the ranks. (hella)
Not a game for each round. (right)(cool) At least that how I've read it. (cute)
OOOOOOOOOH! That makes a lot more sense. Sorry everyone! I was on a completely wrong page! (facepalm)(perplexed)(slanty)(silent)

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To clarify, each contestant makes one game. That game goes through round one. There are 8 games, paired into four matches. At the end of round one, only four games, will survive. In round two, the surviving four games with be paired off into two matches. At the end of round two, only two games wills survive to championship round. The two winning games will battle each other for the championship. The two losing games, of round two, will battle each other; the winner will get 3rd Place. Rounds 2 and 3, are merely new voting periods.

There is one week to make a game. At the end of this one week, voting begins for Round One of Game Dev Battler: Eight paired-off games enter, only the winner of each pairing goes into the second round. By the end of voting for round one, the four winning games will arise.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
It is a good idea but CT_Bolt read it right, I was only thinking one game in one week then the rest is the voting until we get our top 4 and then distribute the prizes.
EDIT: MinisterJay explain it's perfect lol
I do like the idea of having a larger tournament like you guys mentioned and build a different game every round. I don't mind what we do but the decision can be for everyone to make. I'll put up a poll ,we have a week to decide so we should have a good answer in a day or two.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Undead examples: Skeleton, Ghoul, Ghast, Zombie, Lich, Mummy, Vampire, Wight, Jiangshi, Revenent, Draugr, Ghost, SPectre, Phantom, Poltergeist, Banshee, Wraith, etc.

Classes dealing with undead: Necromancers, Clerics, etc.

UPDATE: Hmmmm. Did the masses want a massive all against all battle contest? That would be the same as any other game design contest.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
I think I'd prefer to keep things the way they are (tournament style, only 1 game).
However I can see some drawbacks, perhaps a "free for all" still using only 1 game would be best?
Reveal all at the exact same time of course. Possibly a new topic (eg. "Game Dev Battle Contest - Results")?

PS. I'm loving this theme! Thank you! (hella)(thumbsup)(icecream)

Last edited: