Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Javascript Editors

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Notepad++ is great to see plugins in colour and it's fast. Kinda wish I knew how to code, it would have been more than handful and give a real excuse to use it XD

Last edited:

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I've been using Atom, I have come to really like it, it takes a little while to load the program at first but once it opens, things run smooth, fast and beautiful lol. I added a ton of add-ons, JSHint(detects errors), color picker, mini view, and some themes to make it look however I want it. Atom would be for a programmer not so much someone who just wants to just quickly edit the code. @Rise Evil if you ever want to learn to make your own plugins let me know, I'd help out.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I updated the post with Brackets, and downloading a trial for Webstorm to see how it is, I'll probably stick with Atom though, I've become quite fond of it in the last few months.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Wow definitely going to have to try out a few of these. Thanks for the list. (cool)
A general editor with nice highlighting features that I use sometimes is ConTEXT. (glad)
I recommend the Desktop Version instead of the Portable version though because the portable version doesn't remember highlighter settings.

Last edited:

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
We need more people to champion Visual Studio Code
https://code.visualstudio.com/

I already consider Visual Studio to be the 2nd best IDE out there (a very close 2nd to XCode), all the skills and talent of the VS team went into Code and it really shows it.

You can add the JS directory to the side, giving you quick access to the Plugins, libs and Standard JS of an MV project and the ability to search through the entire MV code-base there in the IDE.

I only wish there was a way to attach debugging with MV.

My biggest complaint with VS Code is that the tabbing system only lets you have 3 files open at a time in a cramped window, so you're forced to open more windows, which won't default to the folder you're looking at, so you have to then open that folder for the new window. A tab interface similar to Visual Studio would be much, much better.

Atom would be another very, very good choice (which is what I'm likely to switch to from VSCode, VSCode is like a simpler version of Atom to me).

Reasons to use VSCode over Atom are; better Git integration (in my opinon, here) and a lighter, faster IDE (Atom seems to be pretty sluggish in comparison - my PC is very fast so it's negligible but I can imagine Atom being a pain for those on bad machines).

Multi-line comments are also handled much better in VSCode. Atom you need to keep adding the asterisk, but VSCode does that for you, so editing the comment at the top of your Plugin is nice in VSCode - however Docblockr for Atom fixes this.

You also need a plugin to enable Open Recent files in Atom, whereas that's a default thing in VSCode. Atom is also missing find-direction, which VSCode has, so searching through an MV file in Atom is a bit more painful than in VSCode.

Scroll sensitivity is really low in Atom as well. I had to set mine up to 60 in the settings.

TLDR; Visual Studio Code is like a simpler version of Atom that doesn't need as much configuring.

Last edited:

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
You can define globals by adding comments somewhere above their usage as such;

/*global $gameVariables*/
/*global Game_Action*/

I generally ignore the green squiggles - if you really hate them then maybe start practising Zen-Buddhism so you can chill out a bit, alternatively use Atom or search the VSCode settings for a way to disable them (which I don't recommend, this same feature will detect real errors that you don't want to ignore).