Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire vs. Ice, Earth vs. Water, Fire vs. Fire, Ice vs. Ice, Etc.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking at different factors at an RPG game that make it more challenging. One of these factors is putting Type of Damage effects. I always thought ,"What good does it do to cast a fire ball against a red dragon, a devil, or demon?" There should be taking NO damage at all. In some universes that spell could actually heal them.

I am looking at basically three categories of effects of Type of Damages. Each of these can be found in the Traits Section of Actors, Classes, and Enemies. Double click on an empty spot, and on the first page, select Element Rate. Look for desired Type of Damage. Change the percentages for desired effect. 100% is the normal.

1. Resistance - the character or enemy has some kind of resistance to this kind of damage. It is any number between 1% and 99%. I like to use about 50%, depending on the situation. The LOWER the number, the MORE resistant they are to that type of damage.
2. Immune - the character or enemy is total immune to this kind of damage. I use 0% for
3. Susceptible - the character or enemy has a weakness to this kind of damage. It is any number greater than 100%. I like to use 200% to 250%.

The keep the element damage simple, I will use 4 different element damage types. I have fire damage being the polar opposite of ice damage, and likewise earth opposite of water. I know there are also lightning, wind, light, dark, and physical types of damage, but to keep it simple I will use four for the examples.

NOTE: If you want slime and gelatinous cube encounters to be challenging, make them immune to Physical Damage. This causes players to think creative on how to dispose of these traditional nuisances.

FIRE attacks ICE: The ICE based defender would be susceptible and take additional damage.
FIRE attack FIRE: Basically a wasted attack. FIRE defender takes NO damage.
ICE attacks FIRE: The FIRE based defender would be susceptible and take additional damage.
ICE attacks ICE: Basically a wasted attack. ICE defender takes NO damage.
EARTH attacks WATER: The WATER based defender would be susceptible and take additional damage.
EARTH attacks EARTH: Basically a wasted attack. EARTH defender takes NO damage.
WATER attacks EARTH: The EARTH based defender would be susceptible and take additional damage.
WATER attacks WATER: Basically a wasted attack. WATER defender takes NO damage.

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
This is pretty much the basis of every mobile game I've been seeing lately. It's also a defining staple of Pokémon and Shin Megami games. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is easily the most BRUTAL example I can think of. Especially when you run into enemies that have reflect damage.

It's a fun concept, but certainly not for everyone. The reason I like it is because it forces the player to change things up and not get reliant on predictable patterns.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The reason I like it is because it forces the player to change things up and not get reliant on predictable patterns.
Thanks @Macro My mage casts Blizzard on the Snow Dragon. My warrior reads the Fire Ball scroll an directs it toward the Magma Lizards. I attack the Earth Elemental with my Rock Golem. WHAT? Some games may be enhanced with these, especially if they are diversity of element attack based enemies and allies.

After taking a disastrous hit from the Lava Shower, my sorcerer casts, Hail Storm upon the Volcano Demon...That's more like it. :)

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
To make it more challenging to the player, have some monsters be able to change their elemental resistance every few turns. I'm thinking like, a chameleon type monster that doesn't really have a specific elemental attribute. In pokemon, Kecleon has that ability that switches to the element of the last attack towards it. There is also its hidden ability, Protean, which would switch its element according to the attack it just unleashed. With mechanics like these, it could make battles very tricky.

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
Just went out for a smoke and thought of FFXI's elemental wheel system. It is kind of like Kecleon's color change ability, but it has far more mechanics in it.

For example, the initial elements for a monster are set, then there is a charge rate for every elemental attack it receives that boosts its resistance to that element by a significant amount, sometimes it is ignored, but let's say it works 100% for the example.

Ex: Monster has a resistance of 40% wind, 50% fire, and 10% earth, everything else is at 0.

Actor 1 uses a water element attack or magic.

Monster gains a water charge, increasing its water resistance by 10%, but since water is weak to thunder, thunder element is reduced by 10%, so now they are weak to thunder. Now the monster has 40% wind, 50% fire, 10% earth, and now -10% thunder. This still adds up to 100%.

Lets say actor 1 uses a thunder attack now. Monster takes plenty of damage, but now the charge to thunder applies, bringing the resistance to +10%. Now since the difference from -10 to +10 is 20, and thunder is weak to earth, earth loses 20% and is now at -10%.

Also, since the monster has a high fire element, you still want to use fire on it to decrease the next element to do much more damage.

You probably get the gist of the system now, but there are stronger elemental attacks that can charge an element by more than just 10%. That is how the system in Final Fantasy XI kinda worked. :)