Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fellow non-scripters, tell me why...

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
Haha. I know, I get it, it's a thread for people who can't script their way out of a badly written play, let alone javascript. Frankly, I've got my own reasons for steering clear of learning any kind of code (except once, when I was drunk...reeeally drunk). I'm busy, mostly. I spent too much time making games look artistic, sound mixing, music composition, and hand-made custom content (including parallax maps), all of which are insanely time consuming.

Then there's the fact that my left brain is the equivalent of a cocoa powder-covered chocolate doughnut. I can't wrap my head around any kind of code.

So tell me fellow non-scripters, are you gonna try to learn for MV? And if you're still sticking to your non-scripty guns, what's your own reasoning?

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
So tell me fellow non-scripters, are you gonna try to learn for MV? And if you're still sticking to your non-scripty guns, what's your own reasoning?
I plan on gradually learning to tweak things. I have done so in Ace with ruby, I have created a few scripts and most of them for my own games, but I also had a small amount of programming experience allowing me to understand a majority of what is going on, I believe this helps a lot. For javascript and MV I already know how to program somewhat in Actionscript which I have been told is very much the same to javascript, so I kinda got an upper hand on that part. My reasoning to do learn is because it's such a good skill to have, to not rely on others to make a script for you, or you find a bug and you can fix it yourself without asking for support all the time. I feel sometimes getting a script made by someone is more work than just doing it yourself, if you know how to that is. So really I am excited to learn MV at the same itme as most of the community.

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
Guessing this does not apply to me, but here it goes. I have been writing javascript for 10 years, use it in my work daily.
But here is the thing, I don't do graphics, so that will be a nice thing to learn, have never touched PixiJS, just know it by name, evenso I am very excited to learn MV :D

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Guessing this does not apply to me, but here it goes. I have been writing javascript for 10 years, use it in my work daily.
But here is the thing, I don't do graphics, so that will be a nice thing to learn, have never touched PixiJS, just know it by name, evenso I am very excited to learn MV :D
You will be a valued member in this community for your experience in javascriptt, I believe you will enjoy spending time in the scripting support section :D The good thing about not knowing graphics is that you gradually learn it even if you don't notice. At some point you will want to re color a tile, or merge tiles together, you may even resort to parallax mapping, and doing these tasks teaches you alot about the software in turn you start becoming a graphic artist, and in no time. :D

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Indeed, scripting can be extremely teddious for some, so having more people with skill like that can help a lot ^^

Also, it's extremely time consuming, especially when you have to type a very long page as well. It's extremely intimidating even though it doesn't seem to be hard at first glance.

Last edited:

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
Yeah the undertones of it all is essentially, we all got strong/weak points. I think all RM communities could use the squeaky clean addition of more scripters like you, though. Scripters change things under the surface and add features that aren't standard. Artists/designers change the look of the game. Imagine what a top-notch scripter and artist could make for...say, I dunno, custom menus or character bio pages?

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I'd love to, but sadly I have absolutely no time, and when I do I completely forget about learning, and focus on relaxing from the stressful day (Considering I work at literally the highest stress rate job in the US). So... I'd really love to, but sadly more than likely won't.

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
I'd love to, but sadly I have absolutely no time, and when I do I completely forget about learning, and focus on relaxing from the stressful day (Considering I work at literally the highest stress rate job in the US). So... I'd really love to, but sadly more than likely won't.
Dude, if you announced that you were taking on full-time or even part-time scripting lessons at this point, we'd have to hire you a nanny to take care of the 923 new community members that'll flood in in the next 72 hours. We'd have to build a robot to take your place whilst you sleep. You'd get back from 2 hours of script practice and there would be wild dragons invading the MV community. You've got enough on your plate; get out. ^_^

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Dude, if you announced that you were taking on full-time or even part-time scripting lessons at this point, we'd have to hire you a nanny to take care of the 923 new community members that'll flood in in the next 72 hours. We'd have to build a robot to take your place whilst you sleep. You'd get back from 2 hours of script practice and there would be wild dragons invading the MV community. You've got enough on your plate; get out. ^_^
HAHAHAHA that's a good one :D

But I thought adding a second Mod would help the great Xyphine to halve his tasks a lot.

I plan on gradually learning to tweak things. I have done so in Ace with ruby, I have created a few scripts and most of them for my own games, but I also had a small amount of programming experience allowing me to understand a majority of what is going on, I believe this helps a lot. For javascript and MV I already know how to program somewhat in Actionscript which I have been told is very much the same to javascript, so I kinda got an upper hand on that part. My reasoning to do learn is because it's such a good skill to have, to not rely on others to make a script for you, or you find a bug and you can fix it yourself without asking for support all the time. I feel sometimes getting a script made by someone is more work than just doing it yourself, if you know how to that is. So really I am excited to learn MV at the same itme as most of the community.
yeah AS3 is pretty close to JS but from personal experience if you ve actually learned 1 lang enough to make use of it .. picking up another lang is really easy like transitioning from java to c# or vice versa , hardest part of it is wrapping ur head around the new syntax you ll be learning to use instead

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
yeah AS3 is pretty close to JS but from personal experience if you ve actually learned 1 lang enough to make use of it .. picking up another lang is really easy like transitioning from java to c# or vice versa , hardest part of it is wrapping ur head around the new syntax you ll be learning to use instead
I was able to jump into ruby fairly quickly, I mena I'm not pro with it but I knew how to do basic things, and enough to make my own scripts and snippets. Personally I'm happy with just being able to read what is going on and create small snippets/bug fixes when I need to.

Just like eivl, i know Javascript; though not ten years worth of experience with it. my coding base comes from C++/C#, javascript and html; which I've put towards a voice recognition project I've been tinkering with. I've had no run in with Ruby in the past so I'm happy that MV uses JS; and that my endeavors may be more realized than before.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
No. I'm gonna hire others to do it so I can focus on doing what i really love doing, the writing, events, and character interaction. That said, since I'm also the systems manager, what they'll be making me is tools I can then use to make better gameplay.

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
I brushed off my Javascript skills (as meager and archaric as it is) and finally picked up how to do Object-Oriented scripting just for MV, because the first thing I did was to find a way to put in a d20 engine in RPG Maker MV. Progress has been going great thanks to @eivl , and I'm happy to say that I made my first successful plug-in command with his help...and the ability to look into other people's scripts to untie the gordian knot that is OO Programming.

Status Gear Entertainment

Praised Adventurer
I need to learn it anyways. Trying to build a website and I mainly understand the graphics side with HTML and CSS but that obviously isnt enough. I need JS in my life but I hate it. But I need it. But I hate it.

chongjasmine

Towns Guard
Xy$
I intend to learn java script for mv. I borrowed four java script books from my library.
Hopefully, java script is not that difficult to learn.

TheGoof

Knight
Xy$
I'm trying, but for me RGSS3 was easier to wrap my brain around...
There are just.. some things it does not seem like you can do in MV JS that i could do in RGSS3.
Like Z layering, telling one thing to sit over another.
I can't even figure out how to tell the damn battle status window box to stop shifting left to right... it's driving me batty.

samorious

Towns Guard
Haha. I know, I get it, it's a thread for people who can't script their way out of a badly written play, let alone javascript. Frankly, I've got my own reasons for steering clear of learning any kind of code (except once, when I was drunk...reeeally drunk). I'm busy, mostly. I spent too much time making games look artistic, sound mixing, music composition, and hand-made custom content (including parallax maps), all of which are insanely time consuming.

Then there's the fact that my left brain is the equivalent of a cocoa powder-covered chocolate doughnut. I can't wrap my head around any kind of code.

I've got almost the same reason as you for not learning scripting. I am quite busy with costum graphics. For MV I am gradually learning it. Just to tweak certain stuff. Not to create conplete scripts etc.