Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious. How much would it normally cost?

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
I'm curious to know, how much would it normally cost to hire someone who creates Sprites,furniture, and pictures for certain cutscenes.

Also curious for people who create music.

Is it per creation?

How much do /you/ charge?

Lore

Resident Dragon
It really depends on the person and the items you're after. Making a few tiles for a game or a short music clip will likely cost significantly less than asking for a huge tileset and an OST. Best thing to do would be to have a look through the services thread and have a look there for pricing. Worst case, you can always PM someone to get a quote. From my experience, most people are happy enough to give you a quote for the item/s you are after.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have personally paid over $100 for facesets, in the past. I have also paid $12 for nice flying fairy characters. There are many factors in determining how much images will cost...I am glad that I primarily use images that I make myself.

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
I have personally paid over $100 for facesets, in the past. I have also paid $12 for nice flying fairy characters. There are many factors in determining how much images will cost...I am glad that I primarily use images that I make myself.
Yikes, 100 for face sets? My pockets are going to cry. lol

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the particular style of a talented Filipino artist, and I asked him to do the facesets for my fairy heroine Bobbi Ficus.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it really depends on the person.
A professional artist might charge ten times as much as a student artist or hobbyist.

I think @Lore has the best suggestion. Don't check just this site though, check other ones too.

"check other websites" - sage2016

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
I think it really depends on the person.
A professional artist might charge ten times as much as a student artist or hobbyist.

I think @Lore has the best suggestion. Don't check just this site though, check other ones too.

"check other websites" - sage2016
It really depends on the person and the items you're after. Making a few tiles for a game or a short music clip will likely cost significantly less than asking for a huge tileset and an OST. Best thing to do would be to have a look through the services thread and have a look there for pricing. Worst case, you can always PM someone to get a quote. From my experience, most people are happy enough to give you a quote for the item/s you are after.

What websites do you two suggest?

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I find a lot of good talent on Vector and SoundCloud. Most of their works are useable under a common license that allows free usage, as long as they get credit. Have you checked the Workshop area of this community?

Aisling Starr

Princess Of Garando
I find a lot of good talent on Vector and SoundCloud. Most of their works are useable under a common license that allows free usage, as long as they get credit. Have you checked the Workshop area of this community?
I checked, but lost interest. I'll check out Vector, thanks.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
deviantArt is crawling with artists of all kinds.
Newgrounds has some too.

There are a lot of artists, writers, and musicians on the Lemma Soft Forums (they make visual novels): https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/
I would assume things like Game Maker and other simple game-making forums would all have people posting commissions.

I'd probably go to youtube for musicians as well.

padr81

Villager
Xy$
As someone who creates music I charge around 10 us dollars per minute which is relatively cheap for commercial and will do non commercial for free. I won't take on full projects because it's usually alot of work for something that never gets released and too risky. Reason I'm fairly cheap is I'm so slow as I'm busy with real life. Prices vary wildly depending on lots of factors and the rep of the composer but there are some great guys working for free. Contact the guy you like, explain your situation and they might help out when they can. Same with art but expect to pay a fair bit if your going commercial.

FANGirl

Residential Vampire
I did portraits for 3-5$ USD each with 1-2$ USD per extra expression before (animated blinking). It really depends on what you want. Some people are flexible on prices and others are firm. I tend to be flexible based on someone's budget. Sprite art is the same way - really depends on the complexity.

For music, some musicians take a flat per-track under so and so minutes, while most I've seen charge $ per minute. They sometimes also base charge depending on how many instruments the song will require.