Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowdsourcing Site specifically for game developers?

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
To further answer the question "What separates you from the other crowdfunding sites? every game that gets fully funded on our site that makes it on steam greenlight, we will have a separate page sharing the steam greenlight section to help promote, and get your more help/members supporting the greenlight. It will be another way to both help out the game developer, and tell them thank you for using our site.

samorious

Towns Guard
To further answer the question "What separates you from the other crowdfunding sites? every game that gets fully funded on our site that makes it on steam greenlight, we will have a separate page sharing the steam greenlight section to help promote, and get your more help/members supporting the greenlight. It will be another way to both help out the game developer, and tell them thank you for using our site.
Thats why I like the concept, the fact that it stays a little personal unlike other crowdfunding websites!

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Edit: The site will look differently from the previously posted picture. We're running into a lot of bad luck with this type of stuff, and will be moving platforms for the third time already lol. Will keep you posted, however, I have high hopes that it will be up by this weekend!

samorious

Towns Guard
Edit: The site will look differently from the previously posted picture. We're running into a lot of bad luck with this type of stuff, and will be moving platforms for the third time already lol. Will keep you posted, however, I have high hopes that it will be up by this weekend!
Best of luck for you all!

ZeroRyoko999

Villager
Xy$
Could come in handy for the future. My estimated budget for "Before The Sleep" would probably be $500 - $2,000.
  • $100 for the Steam Greenlight
  • $300 for maintaining a website to host the finished product for a year
  • The rest would be for continued maintaining of the website and other computer repairs

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Hey everyone, just a little update. We're encountering some more errors (When will it end (cry)) Hopefully we will have everything up and fully functional sometime this month *crosses fingers*. We currently have @sage working on some images for the categories, and we need to fix one major bug as well as get some things finalized prior to releasing it.

Last edited:

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
So this exists; crowdfunding.gamekicker.org
The criticism it's received so far is exactly the kind of stuff I've already said in this thread.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So this exists; crowdfunding.gamekicker.org
The criticism it's received so far is exactly the kind of stuff I've already said in this thread.
One thing I initially noticed was that the project creators have set extremely high goals. Most of the ones that I have successfully funded started with much lower goals.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
One thing I initially noticed was that the project creators have set extremely high goals. Most of the ones that I have successfully funded started with much lower goals.
They only have 2 projects up there so far, it's unfair to start judging. One for ~$32,000 and another for $75,000 - which I do not consider extremely high goals at all. A realistic goal for a game project should be $100,000.

Extremely high in crowdfunding terms towards the million mark.

EDIT: the website has an incredibly annoying JS scroll...Why can't people stick with the good, working content scroll that everyone's web-browser has built-in??

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
EDIT: the website has an incredibly annoying JS scroll...Why can't people stick with the good, working content scroll that everyone's web-browser has built-in??
It is not low internet browsing speed friendly either. Tested it against other crowdfunding sites, and this one was rough and sluggish. I still have yet to see what each project will do with funds.

Just as a heads-up, even when the site is ready, do some premarketing for a week or two at least. Don't start sending anyone to the site until you have a good following! (Teasers via social media, ads on other sites, etc)

ZeroRyoko999

Villager
Xy$
Just as a heads-up, even when the site is ready, do some premarketing for a week or two at least. Don't start sending anyone to the site until you have a good following! (Teasers via social media, ads on other sites, etc)
A good idea. The First Alpha of Before the Sleep should start a small following to grow overtime. I basically have a teaser in the form of screenshots so that's a start.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Hey everyone, so, we're still having some troubles, however, if anyone is trying to get their game crowdfunded and would like to be the first people to have a project on our site please PM me. We're looking for around 8 people, the first 8 people to message me will instantly get $10 donated to their project by us directly. We're looking for projects around $500 or less. If you're interested in this PM me and I will fill you in on all the details, as well as ask a few questions :)

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I guess I'm out of the running. My estimated budget is more than $500.
This is for the first 8 people, after we are actually up and running we will be accepting everyone no matter what the price. However, if you'd like to message me still with the price you're going to need, please do so and we can discuss everything. We are willing to make exceptions, though it will have to be discussed with the other co-owners.

ZeroRyoko999

Villager
Xy$
With the different benchmarks, do you have any initial goals, that can be achieved at that level?
Well, the reason why it's high is because I don't know the cost of encryption software for games such as RMMV, but I believe the Software and/or Licence is awfully expensive. However I can tell you the rewards in terms of levels.
  1. $5 - Name in the Special Credits
  2. $20 - Name in the Special Credits / First-Comers Sneak Peek
  3. $40 - Name in the Special Credits / First-Comers Sneak Peek / Game Soundtrack
  4. $50 - Name in the Special Credits / First-Comers Sneak Peek / Game Soundtrack / Beta Tester (Limited to 10 people)
That is a basic ballpark figure.

Sinnistar

Praised Adventurer
I'd actually like to see a crowdfunding site specific to RM games, since that's a whole different crowd than those of EA or Indiegogo (for some reason people automatically expect epic 3D games on those and turn down classics even if they're good far too often). But yeah, it would have to have some sort of "plan B" if the project goes under or it won't last very long. developers often do these as sort of scams, get a good amount of funding then drop the projects, screwing the funders out of their money and the game. I'd be one of the dedicated developers though with reasoning behind backing my projects, as I've always done xP so that would benefit me as well as others I'd believe.

ZeroRyoko999

Villager
Xy$
...developers often do these as sort of scams, get a good amount of funding then drop the projects, screwing the funders out of their money and the game. I'd be one of the dedicated developers though with reasoning behind backing my projects...
You are correct. However, even though my reasoning is that I am in dire need of cash and the income from the final product would go to other projects not related to RMMV, the game I'm making isn't a scam. I plan to make it a great and creepy game to play with high replay value based on Difficulty Level and Different Endings.