Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowdsourcing Site specifically for game developers?

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Who here thinks that a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter or Indiegogo designed specifically for Game Developers and creators would be a good thing to have? A site where everyone in it knows how hard, and how much it costs to run a forum no matter what game program you have. I noticed on Kickstarter and Indiegogo that RM games are less likely to be funded due to the fact that people think it's easy to make, and requires no extra money. However, what they forget is not everyone is good at everything, so if you're planning on making a game, you might be good at scripting, but not graphics. This means you will have to pay graphic designers to design your website, it can become quite expensive. This being said, who here would like to see a Crowdfunding site directly made for game developers?

The reason I ask, is because 2 buddies and myself are currently in the process of making it. It should hopefully be done within the month, and I was looking to see who all would actually benefit from this. Who all would be likely to apply to this, and who all would be likely to fund projects from people.

If you have any questions on this, or wish to state somethings about it, feel free to do so :)

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What are the plans to attract the other side of the equation, the RPG gamers? I have been a dev that backed other devs in crowdfunding, but to get the gamers, that is what really gives a successful crowdfunding campaign some leverage.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
What are the plans to attract the other side of the equation, the RPG gamers? I have been a dev that backed other devs in crowdfunding, but to get the gamers, that is what really gives a successful crowdfunding campaign some leverage.
We're going to be getting SEO up for both Game Devs, and People looking for new games. This way we will get traffic from google for both. As for getting gamers interested now, I'll be telling people on it on my gaming site, as well as bringing it up on other gaming forums subtly as to not blatantly advertise it. Also, 90% of my friends online and in the IRL are gamers, so I have a wide array of pull when it comes to gamers :) I hope this answered the question.

samorious

Towns Guard
I think it is a very good idea, I only have some questions. How are you going to fix it that players who donate have sort of a backup so that it is guaranteed that the money will only be used for that certain project.
(Excuse me if my question is a little unclear, i'm in French class a.t.m.)

I would say a great idea wich I would like to use in the future.

I will formulate the rest of my questions later

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
We seriously should have something like that. If I work 2 hours on a single map and who knows how many hours for eventing, making graphics, setting things up, and who knows what. It's a really difficult thing to make an rpg with rpg maker and it needs endless patience and time as well as knowledge about the maker to make a game. People should respect the time we put into our projects. And it's not as easy as it seems, there are still so many undiscovered areas of the maker, issues can happen often and it needs time to learn the maker. If we had a crowdfunding place that would really be awesome
@samorious lol I'm sitting in maths class rn. French is more or less worse than this XD

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
How are you going to fix it that players who donate have sort of a backup so that it is guaranteed that the money will only be used for that certain project.
This is sadly really hard to do, and something that isn't implemented in any other crowdfunding site. However, we will be looking at the games, and keeping track of the updates. If they don't come out with updates on a monthly basis we will try our best to contact them, and see how they're coming. Sadly though, there isn't a surefire way to make sure they hold up to their end of the deal. Though, if that is the case, we will IP ban them, and make sure we notify whoever needs to be notified for theft (Assuming they tried to take the money and leave). 99% of people I believe actually put everything to good use, and will not try to wrong the system, and will do what they said they will with the money. I don't think there are a lot of people out there that are willing to try and break the law. It's to easy to get caught with these types of things. We will try our best to keep up with all successful projects, and make sure they're putting the money to the use they said they were putting it towards.

I hope this helps answer the question, and your queries. If you'd like me to expand on it, feel free to let me know.

We seriously should have something like that. If I work 2 hours on a single map and who knows how many hours for eventing, making graphics, setting things up, and who knows what. It's a really difficult thing to make an rpg with rpg maker and it needs endless patience and time as well as knowledge about the maker to make a game. People should respect the time we put into our projects. And it's not as easy as it seems, there are still so many undiscovered areas of the maker, issues can happen often and it needs time to learn the maker. If we had a crowdfunding place that would really be awesome
@samorious lol I'm sitting in maths class rn. French is more or less worse than this XD
We will have something like that :D I'm glad everyone seems to be wanting this to happen. I think anything we do to help the gaming community is worth trying out. This is something I think a lot of people put behind them, and think nothing of. I'd like to shed the light on the stigma that game creation program developers (GCPD?) don't deserve any money as they're using a program. Everything runs off of a program at some point or another, and everything takes time and money to make, therefore just because we use a program, doesn't mean we don't deserve anything less than someone else in my eyes. Once again, I'm glad to see so many people liking this idea, and I'll keep you posted on everything as we develop it on this post :D

samorious

Towns Guard
@Cunechan L'ecole est overrated
@Xyphien You did indeed explain it very well, thank you for that. I also have a second suggestion wich I don't know if you will include it. On Kickstarter. If you're project gets funded you are obligatory of giving prople their rewards (and finish the project if I am right?) This may prevent scammers from trying. I don't know if that is difficult to implement with a contract(don't have any knowledge about it XD)

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
Who here thinks that a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter or Indiegogo designed specifically for Game Developers and creators would be a good thing to have?
Not me.

Because we already have Indiegogo and Kickstarter; if there is a successful niche to be found specifically for game crowd-funding it's already catered for by both these services.

The problem of unsuccessful game projects due to inexperienced developers will still carry over, even if you brand it as "game developers only" you'll still get the same people who have no idea how much it costs putting up pages for "Chronicles of the Tales of Echoing Fantasies: Eternal Soul Quest for the Sky Wars" built with RPG Maker XP and the default RTP promising that "Retro SNES experience that gets you so nostalgic that you'll throw money at us - remember Final Fantasy VI? DO YOU REMEMBER FINAL FANTASY SIX???".

There's clearly a format template that's been crafted specifically for these types of generic projects to get funded (yet never completed) on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, if a new service appears and becomes successful then this template formula will get carried over in just the same way. There's no smart-game-developer-certification-license that you can check for, you're going to get these kind of projects regardless of what label you put on the service.

What I'd rather see is a service with people who know how hard it is to carry through a game production project that rates the viability of Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns by assessing how large the scope of a project is against the budget, time-frame and demonstration of prior skills and experiences (including budget management).
The biggest issue isn't that there's no place for serious game developers, it's that the clueless public throws their money at anything that gets their nostalgia rhubarb rubbing (a brief look at the marketing of these projects will show you that, also the marketing of the terrible Ouya console is notorious for using this angle).

A site where everyone in it knows how hard, and how much it costs to run a forum no matter what game program you have
I don't see what the relevance of running a forum nor what game programs a forum supports has on this.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
@Cunechan L'ecole est overrated
@Xyphien You did indeed explain it very well, thank you for that. I also have a second suggestion wich I don't know if you will include it. On Kickstarter. If you're project gets funded you are obligatory of giving prople their rewards (and finish the project if I am right?) This may prevent scammers from trying. I don't know if that is difficult to implement with a contract(don't have any knowledge about it XD)
It will be in our ToS, as well as you're giving your word that the project itself is for a good cause. If you're found falsifying donations it's a federal law I do believe, and can be traid as such (Correct me if I'm wrong). So we will have it, and as stated, we will contact whoever we'd need to if that time comes.

I don't see what the relevance of running a forum nor what game programs a forum supports has on this.
It was a typo. It was suppose to say game, not forum.

samorious

Towns Guard
It will be in our ToS, as well as you're giving your word that the project itself is for a good cause. If you're found falsifying donations it's a federal law I do believe, and can be traid as such (Correct me if I'm wrong). So we will have it, and as stated, we will contact whoever we'd need to if that time comes.
Aah okay good to hear, that gives a little peace in my mind :-). Also, is it only for United States this funding project or could I also post my project on it from where I am living?(Netherlands)
[doublepost=1457104464,1457103906][/doublepost]Am
Not me.

Because we already have Indiegogo and Kickstarter; if there is a successful niche to be found specifically for game crowd-funding it's already catered for by both these services.

The problem of unsuccessful game projects due to inexperienced developers will still carry over, even if you brand it as "game developers only" you'll still get the same people who have no idea how much it costs putting up pages for "Chronicles of the Tales of Echoing Fantasies: Eternal Soul Quest for the Sky Wars" built with RPG Maker XP and the default RTP promising that "Retro SNES experience that gets you so nostalgic that you'll throw money at us - remember Final Fantasy VI? DO YOU REMEMBER FINAL FANTASY SIX???".

There's clearly a format template that's been crafted specifically for these types of generic projects to get funded (yet never completed) on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, if a new service appears and becomes successful then this template formula will get carried over in just the same way. There's no smart-game-developer-certification-license that you can check for, you're going to get these kind of projects regardless of what label you put on the service.

What I'd rather see is a service with people who know how hard it is to carry through a game production project that rates the viability of Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns by assessing how large the scope of a project is against the budget, time-frame and demonstration of prior skills and experiences (including budget management).
The biggest issue isn't that there's no place for serious game developers, it's that the clueless public throws their money at anything that gets their nostalgia rhubarb rubbing (a brief look at the marketing of these projects will show you that, also the marketing of the terrible Ouya console is notorious for using this angle).
Am I right when you are saying that the probability of people posting "rubbish" will be the same as is happening on for example Kickstarter, I can see that it would indeed be a chance. For that reason maybe it would be a solution to create some sort of application process in wich a developer needs to show their plan and progress to the admins or so, in this case @Xyphien so that they would be able to screen it and approve or denie that certain project on the chance of succeeding or maybe just to check if it is a "serious" project.(don't know if that is even possible though). I would at least like to help XD

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
maybe it would be a solution to create some sort of application process in wich a developer needs to show their plan and progress to the admins
Now that would require quite the staff-force if things get too big. Not to mention the people approving/disapproving the applications are handling cases that could potentially involve a large amount of money, there's some legal protection that's needed around that. Imagine if you approve a project that turns out to be a scam, or worse yet, turns out to be a money-laundering scheme?

Adding these layers of insurance is going to add to the cost and complexity of the service, which is going to drive up the % taken from funded projects, which will affect the competition with Kickstarter/Indiegogo (who are already established with high visibility).

Xyphien threw in the "SEO" buzzword earlier, but it's going to take a heck of a lot more than writing clever page meta-data to get going; especially when you're going against two established, well-indexed websites that are at the point where they no-longer need to apply SEO as search engines have already hit them as highly-positive results, so competing is going to be very tough.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Am I right when you are saying that the probability of people posting "rubbish" will be the same as is happening on for example Kickstarter, I can see that it would indeed be a chance. For that reason maybe it would be a solution to create some sort of application process in wich a developer needs to show their plan and progress to the admins or so, in this case @Xyphien so that they would be able to screen it and approve or denie that certain project on the chance of succeeding or maybe just to check if it is a "serious" project.(don't know if that is even possible though). I would at least like to help XD
Exactly, to prevent trash games the creators should make an acceptable introduction/presentation for their game and make the readers interested in their game. If they fail then they just have bad luck I guess?

@Xilefian it SHOULD be proved if all the things used in the project are being used legally and that the producers got the licenses and everything. They shouldn't judge the quality, should they?

About the CEO thing I agree with Xilefian, it needs more than just that. And we have to remember who we can reach with this additional site: game developers. That means people probably find out about the games in these forums instead of twitter, yt or who knows what. Idk have some mixed feelings but still I'd love to see a site for this...idk

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Xyphien threw in the "SEO" buzzword earlier, but it's going to take a heck of a lot more than writing clever page meta-data to get going; especially when you're going against two established, well-indexed websites that are at the point where they no-longer need to apply SEO as search engines have already hit them as highly-positive results, so competing is going to be very tough.
And for that exact reason, this project may actually be viable. The major problem with the top three crowdfunding companies is that new indies get lost in the large massive sea of projects. I have backed many projects, some that made it, and others missed the goals, and there is one major thing I did not like. I did not like seeing all the small indies getting engulfed by all the larger already recognized companies. I have seen RPG Maker projects get funded for over $100,000. Likewise I saw awesome projects that had $500 goals, and they had awesome demos, and unfortunately raised less than $55. It may be the time for a specialized game design crowdfunding option.

@Xyphien Maybe have part of the crowdfunding company have a personal touch, a personal feel, may make the people creating the projects feel like less of a 'number.'

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
@Xyphien Maybe having part of crowdfunding project have a personal touch, a personal feel. may make the people creating the projects feel like less of a 'number.'
something inspiring and individual for everyone. We need a creative design for this and well written "introduction/rules" something what makes one feel special, something what makes the crowdfunding site special and different from the others.

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
I'm against crowdfunding because I've been repeatedly disappointed in it on places like Kickstarter and Early Access Steam. The waits seem indefinite, and I've been waiting on some such as Landmark and Starbound for over 2 years, and that's for seemingly great games. At least Sb does daily updates though.

Crowdfunding these days seem more like a glorified fan club or hype haven. I have yet to play a crowdfunded game that delivered on their promises. Mighty No 9 raked in millions and is allegedly using the money to fund their own silly little cartoon series. Sorry, but stuff like that just irks me. Millions to make a sidescroller Megaman clone? No way I'm backing my hopes on promises, I'll wait for a release. I can't trust giving my money and not knowing where it's going.

Funding a hobbyist engine like RPG Maker, in all honestly, wouldn't seem like a good investment for me personally. Most RPG Maker games barely sell for over $10 on Steam, and I can't see a reason to fund them since most of them just use default resources and other people's plugins. I guess for more privileged spenders it wouldn't be much of an issue to gamble on a newbie dev that has no proven track record.

The fact is that the majority of RPG Maker that are made WERE easier to make than ones like in high skill engines like Unity and Game Maker. I won't deny that they are some shiny great RPG Maker games out there that took a lot of time to make and are 100% customized, but they are definitely rare.

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
The major problem with the top three crowdfunding companies is that new indies get lost in the large massive sea of projects
Visibility seems to be a massive complaint of indie developers these days. If you make something engaging and market it well, do it at the right time with the right people in the right place, you'll be fine.

There's a lot of people attempting project who have zero idea on how to gain visibility. You get a lot of developers who build yet-another 'Retro-Themed Side-Scroller with unique mechanic X' and then complain that poor visibility caused their project to only sell 10 copies, despite getting a 9.9/10 score on obscure-website-that-no-one-visits.biz.ru.

The responsibility of visibility has always been on the developer, not the platform. If you think the platform you're choosing to launch on has visibility issues, then you should work to improve the visibility, relying on the platform alone is a mistake.

I don't think it's right at all to say it's a problem with the top crowd-funding websites, it's a problem with the content rather than the website (otherwise nothing will get funded, no-one would ever be able to find a project they think is worth throwing money at).

Also remember that this visibility issue isn't just for games on crowd-funding, it is true for all sorts of projects; but I agree that it may be time for a specialist game crowd-funding website - games can benefit from a special treatment service, but I think it needs more radical thinking and design.

@Xyphien Maybe have part of the crowdfunding company have a personal touch, a personal feel, may make the people creating the projects feel like less of a 'number.'
The other-side of this can also be the case; you want to look uniform and part of the service. You don't want to look like you're standing out like a sore-thumb trying to get attention, you want to look clean and to-the-point, familiar for others to navigate around, rather than looking like another attempt at marketing. Either side is a valid argument and reasoning to have.

A lot of what I'm saying is because I've been part of a successful Kickstarter project for a piece of software. There's a lot to consider and we spent months thinking and planning. We did a lot to solve the visibility problem, which I can tell you all those other Kickstarter projects also put a lot of effort into solving. They didn't just make a pretty Kickstarter page, click Publish and then wait for the results, they did a lot themselves outside of the website - both before and after publishing the page (up to a few months prior, I can tell you).

I firmly believe that it's the responsibility of the project to keep it's head above the sea of visibility competition.

Last edited:

samorious

Towns Guard
The fact is that the majority of RPG Maker that are made WERE easier to make than ones like in high skill engines like Unity and Game Maker. I won't deny that they are some shiny great RPG Maker games out there that took a lot of time to make and are 100% customized, but they are definitely rare.
Then maybe that is the thing this crowdfunding website would need to focus on, those little diamonds that are found in the haystack as a metaphore. If it would indeed be given a personal touch and would be kept to a reasonable size I think it might work.

Its also the thing that I would encourage many hobbyists devs to do, try something new with the engine, don't satisfy yourself with all the standard items and assets you can use. Also, every game with a good story (why it was created and what the motivation was) has a higher succes rate in my opinion.

The only thing that I must agree and also bothers me is the fact that some people try to get funded for a relativily easy made game. This is a thing I see on kickstarter a lot and it annoys me a lot..

So yeah, thats how I think about it XD

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another common attribute of the successful campaigns that I funded was that they did not give up. If their goal was to raise $5,ooo, it was very detailed on where the funds would go. If the first campaign failed, they made improvements. They kept in touch with their backers. They offered awesome benefits to higher tiered backers. The largest one that I backed, is now on Steam, and all future chapters of the game will have my name put on it as a producer. It took them three campaigns, each one being better than the previous. They worked hard and smart.

I have personally used three different crowdfunding companies for three different campaigns. Two companies had good to awesome results. It is definitely a learning curve. My most successful campaign, gave me payments, each time a new backer funded the project.

Last edited:

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Aah okay good to hear, that gives a little peace in my mind :-). Also, is it only for United States this funding project or could I also post my project on it from where I am living?(Netherlands)
We hold no bias over different locations, however, we will have it stating where you're from. This way members have the options to see the laws, and everything in place for your location, and we will be sure to mention on the site that laws can differ from location to location. So, whilst you can go to jail and be fined in the US for stealing money, it might not be the same in other countries. However, we won't not allow you to post something based on your location. I believe everyone should have a chance to raise money for their game, not just people in one area. We all have dreams, and desires for a game, why should you get punished for being born in an area, you can't control that. It isn't fair to you, and something I refuse to partake in. :)

Not me.

We're going to have in the rules stating your post must be of good quality or higher. You have to provide pictures, as well as a clear indicator on what you will be spending your money on. This means, if they post a single picture of rpg maker, and then for the text saying "Give money pl0x w3 n33dz 1t!" it will be removed. We won't have an approval list, however, we will go through it and look at all the posts and make sure they meet the quality standards, as well as explain where the money goes, and everything. I will be able to explain more once one of my other partners finishes up with the rules :)

Well, to start things off. Kickstarter charges 5%, which is how they get so many people, what they don't know is that they also charge another 3-5% for transaction fees, and a base pay of at least $30 I do believe. We explain where everything is going, we have no even slightly hidden fees, etc. We're taking 10%, 3%+.30 is going to all transaction fees. 2% is going back into backing projects, and pledging to the site to help, this way it helps out the community as well. We will ONLY take 10%, the 3% and 2% is coming out of the 10% we take, and not out of the backers end. This way you can estimate how much you truly need from the site, and can do the math with ease. With KickStarter, you can say you need $1,000 because you know they take 5%. However, you get $830 back, now you're short $120 or so and go through and re-read their terms to find out they ALSO take the other fee's. I think with this, it should appeal to a lot of other members who are posting their games, etc. on Kickstarter to come over to us, or check it out at the very least.
And for that exact reason, this project may actually be viable. The major problem with the top three crowdfunding companies is that new indies get lost in the large massive sea of projects. I have backed many projects, some that made it, and others missed the goals, and there is one major thing I did not like. I did not like seeing all the small indies getting engulfed by all the larger already recognized companies. I have seen RPG Maker projects get funded for over $100,000. Likewise I saw awesome projects that had $500 goals, and they had awesome demos, and unfortunately raised less than $55. It may be the time for a specialized game design crowdfunding option.

We will have a weekly newsletter, and staff picks. Where we go through and pick out some projects that look very promising, and that we feel should be raised. Most of Indiegogo and kickstarter I noticed, their staff picks are ones that are making the most money. This of course just benefits them only by making them more money. However, we want to show what games truly matter, and what games should be funded vs. what games are making the most money for us.

something inspiring and individual for everyone. We need a creative design for this and well written "introduction/rules" something what makes one feel special, something what makes the crowdfunding site special and different from the others.
One of my partners has already written the about us, and why we're here post, that is sheds a lot of light on this, and made me want to go and pledge on it XD I cannot wait to share that page when we have it up :D

Mighty No 9 raked in millions and is allegedly using the money to fund their own silly little cartoon series.
This is why we will have in the ToS and rules stating the money you make MUST go towards the project at hand.

and I can't see a reason to fund them since most of them just use default resources and other people's plugins. I guess for more privileged spenders it wouldn't be much of an issue to gamble on a newbie dev that has no proven track record.
This is why we will have them post pictures, and have a good quality post explaining what they will be using the money for. They could have the default RTP right now, however their main reason to make money is to get custom graphics, and scripts. This is why a lot of RPG Makers need the money. They use the program because they might be bad at graphics or scripting, and would like to pay someone to customize it. They could have an amazing idea, and all they're missing is the custom graphics and scripts which they might not have the money to fund.
[doublepost=1457167083,1457138235][/doublepost]logosmall.png Just made the logo for it.

Here is a demo of what the site will look like to an extent. We do not have it up, or made yet (Currently working out some problems). This is a photoshop edit, and things will most likely change. Such as the recent projects will be hot projects, or staff picks, etc.

demolook.png

Once again, this is a photoshop edit. All projects such as @ZeroRyoko999 and @samorious were just put in as a reference of how it'd look.

samorious

Towns Guard
@Xyphien It looks really promising and I am looking forward to the result. Just awesome. When its up i'll probably use it for the project fundings instead of kickstarter XD.